Waived: [WSH] F Evgeny Kuznetsov waived by the Capitals (cleared)

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
That is almost certainly incorrect. Addiction rates are higher in tons of places - homelessness in California is primarily a result of housing shortages/pricing, which does ultimately exacerbate addiction rates, but not beyond what's seen in many other places in the US. For example, SF has only the 7th highest overdose rate in the US among large counties. I study this for a living. SF has become a bogeyman among conservative elites and it is a very visible problem for a number of reasons relating to city policies, good and bad, but it is nowhere near the top cities in the country in terms of overall urban "blight".

EDIT: for example, here's a map of drug overdose deaths rates by state: Drug Overdose Mortality by State
Yeah, it has nothing to do with not enforcing small drug crimes, giving out free money to addicts or the weather..

They’ve catered to addicts so they come there from other states.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The only player I’ve seen in my life that actually fits the bogus “enigmatic Russian” stereotype.

Reactions: Acallabeth

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The real question is: Would he ride the buses from rink to rink in the ahl?
Yep. Would I ride the busses for a year and a half for 10M bucks? Sure, but I haven't already earned 54 million dollars. He has enough money that he never needs to earn another cent to have a very luxurious lifestyle for the rest of his life.

It's also very conceivable that he might think if he goes to the AHL, it ends his career in the NHL entirely, and that the better long term financial move is to terminate, sign a much smaller contract to stay in the NHL, and rebuild his career.

Still a lot we don't know. We'll see.

Reactions: PlushMinus

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Yeah, it has nothing to do with not enforcing small drug crimes, giving out free money to addicts or the weather..

They’ve catered to addicts so they come there from other states.
You are responding to an expert on this subject with a social science PhD from a top university, not just some guy with an opinion on the internet. Nothing I shared was opinion, it is grounded in empirical research. Addiction rates in SF are not actually higher than in many other urban centers around the US. I didn't intend to show that the publicity of the problem isn't higher there than elsewhere: it is. In fact, I acknowledged that it is in what I wrote.

The non-enforcement of property crimes, etc., is a policy issue that has led to further challenges relating to the urban environment itself. SF hasn't adopted policies that systematically confine homelessness to particular areas of the city in the way that others have, which is partly a function of the fact that it is the second most densely populated urban environment in the country, making that impossible, but also of deliberate policy choices that have had some bad consequences for the downtown environment. There are multiple factors contributing to the factors SF is facing right now. However, what is certain is that the city itself doesn't have a significantly worse addiction problem than many other places in the US that are receiving far, far less press. In fact, it is much worse in many areas of the country, as I demonstrated.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'm not interested in discussing the plight of San Francisco. I came here for wild conjecture about why Kuznetsov was put on waivers.

because he's a headcase who no longer is good enough to play hockey. I think that was established on page 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad