Waived: [WSH] F Evgeny Kuznetsov waived by the Capitals (cleared)

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
A wired in and motivated Kuznetsov is a supreme player. His run in our cup year was unreal, Ovy got all the plaudits but for me we won due to Kuznetsov. He was a man possessed, and I'll always have a soft spot for him for that alone. He just hasn't been bothered since though and it's such a shame. Loads of wasted talent really.

Reactions: wetcoast

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He has 8 million reasons to keep showing up this season and the next.
He's already made 60 million dollars and plenty in the KHL before he came over. That paired with the type of personality he exhibits in interviews makes me think that money isn't his motivator. There's more to it than the remaining dollars on his contract.

Reactions: 43sfriends

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
He has 8 million reasons to keep showing up this season and the next.
He's not walking away from $7.5 mill owed to him.

Ain't happenin. IMHO, the caps did it the wrong way waiving him right after he gets out of the program.

the optics are horrific for the caps. Yikes.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

Ain't happenin. IMHO, the caps did it the wrong way waiving him right after he gets out of the program.

There is likely a provision somewhere that protects players from waivers while they're in the program.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just explaining that the Capitals will meet their contractual obligations and he will get what hes owed. As a fan of a poverty franchise that couldn't do that even for their star players for much of its existence I can understand why you'd expect the same of other teams and the notion that they operate differently may be so confusing to you :thumbu:

Thankfully the Pens have an owner who can afford to spend money on what truly counts, such as employing and enabling rapists as coaches.
The one that was let go? That was hired by a guy who was also let go?

theVladiator

May 26, 2018

What's wrong with the optics? If he isn't earning his spot on the roster, he isn't on the roster. Maybe it's an indication that the player's assistance program did not perform miracles in this case. But it's not supposed to be a hockey rehab program either, so that doesn't mean much. The hockey rehab program is the AHL, where Kuznetsov is heading now. It's kinda sad, but it is what it is. Hopefully he gets back on track.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007

It sounds like it was a mutual decision where Kuznetsov was hoping someone would claim him?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

Edit: Won't embed for some reason, but Kempny recently said Kuznetsov was on Cocaine the entire 2018 playoffs.
He wasn’t the only one either. The Caps will do everything possible to get him out of their system without buying him out, so a lot of things don’t go public.

If they buy him out, just like what would’ve happened in Detroit with Vrana last year, the NHLPA would’ve/will file a grievance. Nobody will care about the specifics. Addiction advocate groups will get involved, etc, etc. They will claim he’s being punished for seeking help. Just look at the accusations against Detroit last year for keeping Vrana in the AHL. Those same accusations are coming, if Kuznetsov goes to Hershey and lights it up.

Detroit was lucky enough to get rid of Vrana without airing the dirty laundry. The Caps will try the same thing. Even if it makes more sense on paper to buy him out, they’ll try avoiding it, because it will get messy. They’d actually probably lose the grievance as well. They’d have to prove it wasn’t a “Punishment” and that won’t be easy. Especially if he lights up the AHL. They’d have to air some things nobody wants, to win the grievance.

The NHL doesn’t want the dirty laundry going public either. There’s been all kinds of things said about what was going on with that team for ages. Vrana and Kuznetsov have done nothing to change anyone’s mind.

I’d look for a double retention trade, where the Caps pay a couple of mid round picks, to wipe their hands clean. They’ll eat half of his salary next year, but he’ll be someone else’s issue. It probably won’t be Detroit or St Louis…. They’ll find someone to take him at $2 million for next year though. They’ll also find someone to retain $2 million.

That’s the likely outcome. Maybe it costs them a 4th but they get a 7th. Or maybe it costs them a 4th and a 6th.

It’s well worth getting him out of the organization.

He’s also probably worth a $2 million chance for some teams. Worse case, they bury him, and they’re taking a million dollar hit. At that point we’d likely see a KHL loan, so he’s not on someone’s farm team. IF it got to that. Not much of a gamble.

Reactions: Canadienna

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

Where is the accountability for the player in your universe? He got a huge contract and didn't fulfill his end of the deal. He's wanted out for a long time. The optics aren't horrific to reasonable people

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Where is the accountability for the player in your universe? He got a huge contract and didn't fulfill his end of the deal. He's wanted out for a long time. The optics aren't horrific to reasonable people
Agreed.
I certainly won't be attending his pity party. f*** these drug addicts who don't use the resources available to straighten themselves out. Especially ones who've made 60+ million bucks

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I don't think the PA can file a grievance for buying out a player, just sayin'. Last time I remember a buyout being grieved it was injury-related (Jared Cowan).

Reactions: andora

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Not what I am saying. The CBA prevents them punishing him however.

If they had the ability to use some kind of morality clause...sure but his addictions are covered by the CBA that the owners agreed to.

Right now, it looks like the Caps would have waived/released/terminated his contract before now. Whether I agree or not is not the issue. The CBA is the issue.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Agreed.
I certainly won't be attending his pity party. f*** these drug addicts who don't use the resources available to straighten themselves out. Especially ones who've made 60+ million bucks
Again, I do not disagree in principal. However, the owners agreed to the CBA. It protect Kuzy.

BTW, I dislike him exponentially.

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad