Waived: [WSH] F Evgeny Kuznetsov waived by the Capitals (cleared)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Just sad. We waited years for him to come over and then we waited a few years for him to develop and then his playoff series vs the Islanders in 2015 was his coming out party. "Kuzy Magic" was born and it looked like he was going to be a future star, which he kind of was at times but for whatever reason, he either never wanted to be great and/or never felt comfortable with the spotlight that would come with being a top player in the league.

Kuzy was the missing piece the Caps needed and he was an absolute force in 2018, so for that we will always be thankful. His legacy will be a mixed bag of both helping the Caps reach the summit but at the same time never really reaching his full potential, at least not for any extended period of time. Dude was electrifying to watch at times though and was a straight up magician with the puck when he was at the peak of his powers.

It just sucks for all parties involved. No other way to put it, really.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Just sad. We waited years for him to come over and then we waited a few years for him to develop and then his playoff series vs the Islanders in 2015 was his coming out party. "Kuzy Magic" was born and it looked like he was going to be a future star, which he kind of was at times but for whatever reason, he either never wanted to be great and/or never felt comfortable with the spotlight that would come with being a top player in the league.

Kuzy was the missing piece the Caps needed and he was an absolute force in 2018, so for that we will always be thankful. His legacy will be a mixed bag of both helping the Caps reach the summit but at the same time never really reaching his full potential, at least not for any extended period of time. Dude was electrifying to watch at times though and was a straight up magician with the puck when he was at the peak of his powers.

It just sucks for all parties involved. No other way to put it, really.
Winning the cup goes beyond what most hockey players experience. As long as he gets healthy I think his hockey career will be a happy story, all in all.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That'd be, like, the exact polar opposite of the sorts of moves Trotz has been doing. Trotz has been big on the character guys and Kuzy... doesn't fit that.
I know, but he's also desperate for a gamechanging center, and I wondered if the Caps connection would.come into play

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
8 million for 17 points? Surely they could have added a pick for someone to take him.

If its just conservatives elite then someone needs to tell CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Nordstrom, Saks, Old Navy, Adidas, Macy's, Aldo, J. Crew to open back up! Those damn conservatives making stores close in SF! :laugh:

On a side note I live in Florida and damn stores are just popping up everywhere. I love it.
Reading comprehension is your friend. I went over this. Addiction is not the same as the policy consequences of how it and homelessness are managed. The latter is part of why property crime, etc., are high. Addiction rates are not.

Reactions: Block

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Reading comprehension is your friend. I went over this. Addiction is not the same as the policy consequences of how it and homelessness are managed. The latter is part of why property crime, etc., are high. Addiction rates are not.
Yes, I know. You say its housing shortage. So people are giving up their houses elsewhere to move to the streets of San Francisco :laugh:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
There is pretty much zero chance whatsoever he gets claimed. Even at 4M, it's still be enough of a risk most teams wouldn't bother. 8M for another year? That's horrendous.

I suppose there's a very outside possibility San Jose, Chicago or Arizona do just cause they aren't spending the cap on anyone else but I seriously doubt it. Why do Washington that big a favor without getting something from them?

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
Yes, I know. You say its housing shortage. So people are giving up their houses elsewhere to move to the streets of San Francisco :laugh:
No, they are being forced out of the housing rental market altogether, usually coupled with crisis events like losing a job. I'm not sure why this is so triggering: housing stock and pricing is a bigger contributor to homelessness than addiction rates. It's a fact. It's not conjecture or ideology. Some of the highest addiction rates in the country are in Appalachia. Homeless rates there are significantly lower than in many more urban settings. The reason has to do with a availability of affordable housing.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
No, they are being forced out of the housing rental market altogether, usually coupled with crisis events like losing a job. I'm not sure why this is so triggering: housing stock and pricing is a bigger contributor to homelessness than addiction rates. It's a fact. It's not conjecture or ideology. Some of the highest addiction rates in the country are in Appalachia. Homeless rates there are significantly lower than in many more urban settings. The reason has to do with a availability of affordable housing.
In order for that to be true it means at one point they had a home and then they choose to live on the street.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
In order for that to be true it means at one point they had a home and then they choose to live on the street.

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.
Working homelessness is a massive problem in California, with people living out of their cars and trailers but holding down jobs, at least for a while. Again, look it up. Nobody is saying there isn't a policy problem in these cities, just that the primary issue isn't drug usage rates, which are comparable to many other locations.

I'm done. This is a hockey forum. But it's crazy to hear the extent to which people will object to arguments that aren't even being made in the name of ideology.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Working homelessness is a massive problem in California, with people living out of their cars and trailers but holding down jobs, at least for a while. Again, look it up. Nobody is saying there isn't a policy problem in these cities, just that the primary issue isn't drug usage rates, which are comparable to many other locations.
You said its the market price that causes people to be homeless.

So they have 2 choices.

1. Move to a cheaper place
2. Homeless on the streets

According to you people are choosing to live on the streets. LOL

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
You said its the market price that causes people to be homeless.

So they have 2 choices.

1. Move to a cheaper place
2. Homeless on the streets

According to you people are choosing to live on the streets. LOL
Moving is an extremely costly process, especially for people at the margins who can barely make rent, or have been failing to do so for months. Transportation costs, first + last months rent, security deposit, and all the rest. This is basic. Now I'm done, lol.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
:
Moving is an extremely costly process, especially for people at the margins who can barely make rent, or have been taking to do so for months. This is basic. Now I'm done, lol.
LOL

So they CHOOSE to live on the street. Moving costs as much as a bus ticket.

Thank you.

RooBicks

Oct 12, 2020
:

LOL

So they CHOOSE to live on the street.

Thank you.
No, they have no choice but to live on the street because they lack resources to afford rent anymore or to move. This describes the bulk of cases. For example, most addicts start out housed. They don't just suddenly decide to become addicts and run to the streets. When there is housing stock, they stay housed because prices are sufficiently low. When there isn't, they end up in the street.

This is how you can have an addiction rate that is up there, but not among the very highest in the country, but also have dramatic homelessness issues that many of those places don't. It's not that complicated. This time I'm really done, for realz.

Last edited:

Bijelo

Oct 23, 2022
First Flat
NHL club Capitals puts their Russian superstar Yevgeny Kuznetsov, 31, on waivers. It comes just hours after the forward was cleared to resume training after previously being part of the league's and players' union's support program, which helps players with various issues not directly related to hockey.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks Captain Obvious

They'd trade for 50% retention for next to nothing. The Caps want to get rid of him. Caps are just trying to see if anyone would just take him for nothing.
No one is trading for damaged goods and a cancer.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Might be the single craziest waiving situation in league history.

Someone will surely pick him up.
No different than Vrana last year really. Same situation. The team really doesn’t want him around, and other teams have big red flags on a player who makes way too much money.

The problem is, finding a team who will give him an opportunity, if they can cut his AAV by 75%. That has to be Washington’s goal this week, on top of regular deadline stuff.

If it costs them something, they’ll have to decide if that cost is worth it. Good bet they’re retaining half though, no matter what the situation. Buying him out, would also come with consequences. So they’ll have to figure out what option hurts the least.

There really is no win here for the Caps. They’re gonna end up with a nice chunk of dead money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad