Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Correct. Without knowing what we get in return, you can't really answer.

Would I trade 55 for Aho or Barkov and a top D man? Yes.
Would I trade 29 for Aho or Barkov and top D man? Yes.

Ah, you found the kings randsom. True. While I do value 55 and 29. If enough would be offered, sure. The thing is really that Carolina and Florida would have almost have the record breaking grip to keep those, so it's absolutely something that doesn't happend.

And the whole community would berserk.

I'm not really trying undermine the things, but... I don't know what stroke it would need for our opposition to give what we would want in return. :)

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm not sure we get a "quality 1st pairing D" for KC. It should be close to that, but it might not quite get there. The story was that Canes wanted an add to Ehlers for Pesce. Since then they moved Faulk so probably wouldn't move Pesce now but that is the kind of return I would want for KC.

Is there a source on that MS? IIRC, no details about a possible deal came out, besides that it didn't get done. It could have been the Jets wanting an add on Pesce for all I know.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Is there a source on that MS? IIRC, no details about a possible deal came out, besides that it didn't get done. It could have been the Jets wanting an add on Pesce for all I know.

I wouldn't know exactly where to find it now. It was certainly posted here more than once but I don't remember what the source was. Seemed to be widely accepted at the time. I'll see if I can find something.

Edit: Found lots of speculation about Ehlers trades, a lot involving Pesce. Couldn't find anything about an add except from Canes fans. No reliable source. I remember it clearly, but that and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Tim's.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Not sure Laine is bringing you back a top 2 D man, maybe a top 4 but even that's a stretch!

Laine for Phaneuf? It’s a win-win. Jets gets to stabilize their blue line, and the Kings get some much needed scoring help.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Trading Scheifele would make no sense. You can't trade a top-10 center (and the only legit top-6 center on the team) playing with a 6m cap hit for the next 5 seasons. Hasn't been on top of his game this calendar year, and could possibly benefit from a change of scenery, but he could be playing a whole lot worse and still be worth the money.

I'm not advocating trading Scheifele, but everyone keeps calling him top10 C, top5 C like it's a fact... Is he really?

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Aho
MacKinnon
Tavares
Bergeron
Stamkos

In my opinion those guys are certainly better than him. (In no order)

Scheifele
Kopitar
Point
Seguin
Petterson
Barzal
Kuznetsov
Couture

Lots of great centers in the league...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not advocating trading Scheifele, but everyone keeps calling him top10 C, top5 C like it's a fact... Is he really?

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Aho
MacKinnon
Tavares
Bergeron
Stamkos

Scheifele
Kopitar
Point
Seguin
Petterson
Barzal
Kuznetsov
Couture

definitely debatable if Scheifele is top 10 anymore. from '16 through '17-'18 season id say he was top 10, but last year certainly wasn't imo. I'd also add ROR and Couturier to your list.

however, Scheifele is much closer to a top 10 C than Laine is a top 10 Winger. C is also a more valuable position league-wide and to this org, given our pool of players.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
definitely debatable if Scheifele is top 10 anymore. from '16 through '18 id say he was top 10, but last year certainly wasn't imo. I'd also add ROR and Couturier to your list.

however, Scheifele is much closer to a top 10 C than Laine is a top 10 Winger. C is also a more valuable position league-wide and to this org, given our pool of players.

Agreed. No one in their right mind would trade Scheifele with his current contract.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Aho
MacKinnon
Tavares
Bergeron
Stamkos

Scheifele
Kopitar
Point
Seguin
Petterson
Barzal
Kuznetsov
Couture

Point isn’t doin much this season.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't know exactly where to find it now. It was certainly posted here more than once but I don't remember what the source was. Seemed to be widely accepted at the time. I'll see if I can find something.

Edit: Found lots of speculation about Ehlers trades, a lot involving Pesce. Couldn't find anything about an add except from Canes fans. No reliable source. I remember it clearly, but that and $1.50 will get you a coffee at Tim's.

Honestly, I think that it was Canes fans thinking Pesce is the best thing since sliced bread, and the fact that Ehlers wasn't having that great of a season ringing that bell. And probably some Jets fans here too that like to dump on Jets players.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Not the kinda trade I had in mind but a solid d man, couple high draft picks and a forward in return would be palatable.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B

I know, I've been pretty underwhelmed with him the past 2 seasons but I honestly think he suffered from being tied to Wheeler. But consider the audience, many here have also thought Wheeler is a top 5 winger in the league for a long time. I just brush it off when I hear the Scheifele is top 5-10 center stuff, it's not worth the argument :D At least it's closer to the truth than the asinine "wheeler is top 5 wing", which is one that I don't let slide anymore because it's so blatantly false.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly, I think that it was Canes fans thinking Pesce is the best thing since sliced bread, and the fact that Ehlers wasn't having that great of a season ringing that bell. And probably some Jets fans here too that like to dump on Jets players.

Probably - I remember at the time believing it was Waddell and that was why Chevy backed away, but I might have mistaken something I read.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Crosby
Malkin
McDavid
Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel
Matthews
Aho
MacKinnon
Tavares
Bergeron
Stamkos

Scheifele
Kopitar
Point
Seguin
Petterson
Barzal
Kuznetsov
Couture

Yes - but those you listed are not all C's. How much time does Drai spend at C? How much time does he spend away from McD? Is Stamkos a full time C these days? I know he has gone back and forth in the past.

It is probably more accurate to rate Scheifele in the top 20.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Yes - but those you listed are not all C's. How much time does Drai spend at C? How much time does he spend away from McD? Is Stamkos a full time C these days? I know he has gone back and forth in the past.

It is probably more accurate to rate Scheifele in the top 20.

Stamkos has played both wing and center. Draisaitl has spent most of his time this year with McDavid(still takes most of the faceoffs). Neither of those facts takes away from the fact that both are natural centers and better at it than Scheif.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
Well, I disagree.

What has Seth Jones done in his 'illustrious' career that has made him some untouchable?

Yes, he is a very good young defenseman with a lot more potential. Do you think his ceiling is a notch below generational talent?

Laine isn't that, and it's looking less and less likely he will be as time goes by but he has the talent to be. That has a lot of value around the league.

Teams are always looking for special players, players who's skilset is replicated by few if any others. Byfuglien and McDavid come to mind.

Seth Jones could be a cornerstone 1 D for a team for 15 years, and whilst that is very desireable and sought after in the NHL, it's not unique.

At this point, it's probably a bit more of a risk for CBJ to do a Jones/ Laine trade but they could end up the big winner. At the least they'd likely end up with a guy who scores 30 - 40 goals every year for 10 years, which is nothing to sneeze at.
I guess we agree to disagree

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stamkos has played both wing and center. Draisaitl has spent most of his time this year with McDavid(still takes most of the faceoffs). Neither of those facts takes away from the fact that both are natural centers and better at it than Scheif.

I think it very much takes away from classifying them as centres. I don't know what being a so called natural centre has to do with it. They may have played C all of their lives but can't cut it at C in the NHL. If they outscore Scheifele as wingers do we call them better centres than him?

If we are going to rank the centres in the league we have to limit it to those who actually play the position.

Roslovic is a 'natural centre', whatever that is, but so far he hasn't been able to win a C job in the NHL.

But you point stands. He is not playing like a top 5 in the league C recently, or even top 10.

Reactions: sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm not sure we get a "quality 1st pairing D" for KC. It should be close to that, but it might not quite get there. The story was that Canes wanted an add to Ehlers for Pesce. Since then they moved Faulk so probably wouldn't move Pesce now but that is the kind of return I would want for KC.

I don't know if this Ehlers for Pesce rumor was true ? but I'm glad the Jets didn't deal Ehlers. It's a lot easier to find a reliable defenseman, than it is to find a guy like Ehlers who has blazing speed, and a great shot. I don't recall Pesce being at the top of defenseman point production ? I also would have "not" traded Ehlers straight up for Pesce - without the add on.

I definitely would trade Connor before I'd trade Ehlers, and we'd likely get about the same return. Because of Ehlers speed, and his shot from far out, he has tons of upside yet -and it's showing this year. Right now with Ehlers and Connor --your best off to keep them both, til you get an idea of their ceiling -- but that can work both ways, from the other clubs ??

Question is ? would you trade a guy like Laine who's only 21, straight up for a guy like Pesce --probably not, because Laine could turn out to be a prolific goal scoring and point achieving star in the league. To make a deal like this --you'd need the Canes to make a significant add on-IMO.

Ask yourself this --what do you think Laine will look like in 4-5 years at 26 yrs old ? --it's a very tough question to answer. Right now, he's sort of going backwards a little ?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Mark Scheifele is a consistent, quality center on a very friendly contract who has averaged exactly 1.0 points-per-game over the last 3 seasons (15th among centers). So no, not top 10 in that regard. Not a generational 100+ point guy, but a solid franchise 1st line center. In a 12-manager fantasy draft he'd be like a 3rd round pick. So no, I would not trade him for a top D. The other guy....maybe, yup. ;)

Reactions: GNP and scelaton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad