Would You Trade Scheifele or Laine for a top dman?

Would you trade scheiffle or laine for a top defenceman?

• Total voters

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Is there a top defenceman you would trade for if you had to give up either Scheiffle or Laine?
Seth Jones would look really good in a Jets uniform and I think Laine has tremendous potential but not sure he will reach it whereas Scheif may have peaked or may need a change of scenery.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Is there a top defenceman you would trade for if you had to give up either Scheiffle or Laine?
Seth Jones would look really good in a Jets uniform and I think Laine has tremendous potential but not sure he will reach it whereas Scheif may have peaked or may need a change of scenery.
So which move do you favour?

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
So which move do you favour?

At this point, I am on the fence. I see merit in both.
I question Laine's mental toughness. He has all the skill in the world but something seems off. I would likely trade him if it was for a Seth Jones.
If it was Scheiffle then they need to get a centre plus a dman, which makes it a little more difficult to do but something also seems off with Scheiffle whereas Ehlers, Roslovic and Connors to a lesser extent seem to be excelling.
This also is on the assumption Wheelers stays at centre.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A team that has struggled to find a number 2 center would be dead in the water if you moved the #1 franchise center without a replacement. It would be the best way to get a couple high draft picks if you wanted to bottom out.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
A team that has struggled to find a number 2 center would be dead in the water if you moved the #1 franchise center without a replacement. It would be the best way to get a couple high draft picks if you wanted to bottom out.

You make a fine point, which is why I wonder if there is a chemistry issue between the two players and one has to go to solidify the team as a contender rather than a bubble team.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would definitely trade Laine -- but "not" Scheifele. Lets take a look at Laine and see what he offers :

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year -- but did really very little last year, and this year -- just average. This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer -- but he's not living up to expectations. How many goals this year ?? answer is 6 / on pace for 25 goals --Ehler's has 11 goals.

2) A good skater -- slow out of the hole -- ok at top end. Looks awkward.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

4) Possession of puck -- "not good"--continually fumbling the puck, and causing turnovers.

5) Playmaking just OK --that's about it.

6) Is he progressing --getting better ?? -- no--he's regressing.

Laine --is "overrated" and because he scored 44 goals his first year, and was a 2nd overall draft pick --some GM's may give away a "great player" for him.

If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, and gladly eat my words- however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

This has to be done quick though, as Laine's trade value diminishes every game out. Thank God Chevy only signed him for 2 years. This guy is a "limited player" IMO.

Great post BTW -- be interesting to see what other's think

Last edited:

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I would definitely trade Laine -- but "not" Scheifele. Lets take a look at Laine and see what he offers :

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

4) Possession of puck -- "not good"--continually fumbling the puck, na dcausing turnovers.

Laine --is "overrated" and because he scored 44 goals his first year, and was a 2nd overall draft pick --some GM's may give away a "great player" for him.

This has to be done quick though, as Laine's trade value diminishes every game out. Thank God Chevy only signed him for 2 years. This guy is a "limited player" IMO.

what f***ing season are you watching?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

4) Possession of puck -- "not good"--continually fumbling the puck, and causing turnovers.

You do know Laine had done more with probably less, that has worn the Jets Jersey at that age except for Hawerchuk?
Maybe Kovi thrown in there.

But yeah you cant trade a 1C, legit top 10 like Schiefele.

Laine can have that return 1D, if it comes to that.

But sorry my friend , everything you mentioned about Laine is false.

And if its true. Then he wont get you a legit 1D.

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You do know Laine had done more with probably lessthat has worn the Jets Jersey at that age except for Hawerchuk?
Maybe Kovi thrown in there.

But yeah you cant trade a 1C, legit top 10 like Schiefele.

Laine can have that return 1C, if it comes to that.

But sorry my friend , everything you mentioned about Laine is false.

And if its true. Then he wont get you a legit 1D.

We shall see over time if I'm right or wrong -- but the facts are there. I hope Laine proves me wrong "bigtime" as I was wrong with Helle --as many others were as well.

I did not make my post to anger fans -- but I have a bad gut feeling about Laine. If he could at least skate and stickhandle like Ehlers and Connor --then I would not be so negative on him.

I hope he turns out -- but if the "right player" came along, and I was the GM --I would deal Laine off.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year -- but did really very little last year, and this year -- just average. This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer -- but he's not living up to expectations.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

I know you hate Laine but making a top-10 list of (perceived) weaknesses is a bit ridiculous as he is still a Jet. I don’t agree with your list but he’s 21 years old at that.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I know you hate Laine but making a top-10 list of (perceived) weaknesses is a bit ridiculous as he is still a Jet. I don’t agree with your list but he’s 21 years old at that.

I don't hate him --those are strong words. I think he's overrated as a player, and we'll see what other fans think ? As I said -- I hope he turns out, as I'm a Jet's fan first. I just don't develop a dislike for a player, without good reason --so I stated my reasons, and I'd like to hear yours, and why you think I'm wrong --if you do ??

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

I don't hate him --those are strong words. I think he's overrated as a player, and we'll see what other fans think ? As I said -- I hope he turns out, as I'm a Jet's fan first. I just don't develop a dislike for a player, without good reason --so I stated my reasons, and I'd like to hear yours, and why you think I'm wrong --if you do ??

I have no intention of getting into such a debate and you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I find a top-10 list of weaknesses in a Jets player on a Jets forum to be in poor taste.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I really don't like anything about Chef. Not sure if he can be traded because he is a C.

I would like to see Laine traded because I like him and think he can do better elsewhere.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
Scheifele is our #1 centre and has been averaging a point per game since the 2016-17 season inclusively. He’s continuing to do that this year. He’s also massively underpaid at $6.125 million AAV for 5 more seasons (including this season), which is a key factor given our cap issues. Let’s also not forget the fact that he’s 26 y/o (in his prime) and that he was on pace to beat Reggie Leach’s record for most goals in a playoff in 2018; he almost certainly would’ve beat it if we had advanced to the finals (the point being: he’s not one of those players who only performs well in the regular season). Also, we’ve been complaining for like 3 years about how this team needs a 2C... it makes no sense to trade your #1C...

As for Laine, he’s 21 y/o and he’s having his best NHL season so far this year, IMO. His all around game is way better and he’s also averaging basically a point per game.

I wouldn’t trade either of these players right now.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I really don't like anything about Chef. Not sure if he can be traded because he is a C.

I would like to see Laine traded because I like him and think he can do better elsewhere.

I don't see how you can make a post like this about Scheifele--he's been around a 90 point scorer for the last 2 years --and one of the top centers in the NHL - and we have him for $ 6 mill per year ( very low). I think teams would shell out around $ 8.5 -- $ 9 mil for Scheif --you don't trade that kind of value away. :shakehead

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

1) Good hard accurate shot -- "sometimes"- yes for his first year -- but did really very little last year, and this year -- just average. This guy is supposed to be a goal scorer -- but he's not living up to expectations. How many goals this year ?? 4 0r 5 ?? --Ehler's has 11.

3) Stickhandling -- poor

If Laine is a very slow bloomer--like Scheifele was, then I'd be wrong, and glady eat my words- however if we get a really good defenseman for him, we really couldn't go wrong, as we have lot's of goal scorers left.

Maybe hockey isn’t for you? Laine had 36 goals as a rookie and 44 his second season. Jesus. His down year he had 30. He’s in season 4. This place is amusing. People will defend a coach with a 20 year history of mediocrity, but throw 21 year old 100 goal scorers under the bus. Garbage.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Maybe hockey isn’t for you? Laine had 36 goals as a rookie and 44 his second season. Jesus. His down year he had 30. He’s in season 4. This place is amusing. People will defend a coach with a 20 year history of mediocrity, but throw 21 year old 100 goal scorers under the bus. Garbage.

We are 1/4 thru the season this year, and Laine has 6 goals, and will likely end up with around 25-28 goals -"tops" He is going backwards. Do you not keep an open mind on trading a guy like that ?? I think you do.

You also have to consider he'll want $ 8-10 mil to resign in 2 years -- I wouldn't want to be Chipman making that decision -- I just don't see that kind of value in him ??

Last edited:
Reactions: Larabee

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese