Blue Jays Discussion: Would rather get punched in May than knocked out in October - ALCS bound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Doesn't look like it will happen this way, but I'd be more comfortable playing Boston in the next round, should the Jays make it :)

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
As a HUGE Cowboys fan in addition to the Leafs, I can assure you all that the state of Texas is ALL about Football. It is equal to our love of hockey.

As someone who lived in Texas for 4 years, I can say that football is not equal to any sport. I would rank it as

1)NFL football
2)College football

3)hockey
4)baseball
5)basketball

I think we can tell how baseball-crazy they are from the lower key crowds than AL east games (except Tampa Bay).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As someone who lived in Texas for 4 years, I can say that football is not equal to any sport. I would rank it as

1)NFL football
2)College football

3)hockey
4)baseball
5)basketball

I think we can tell how baseball-crazy they are from the lower key crowds than AL east games (except Tampa Bay).

Damn, even hockey before baseball? I never would've guessed with the storied history the Rangers have. ;)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
These suggestions that Texas is a mediocre team now that we're up 2-0 I think are unwarranted.

Let's be frank, it could very very easily be 1-1 right now. They out hit us 13-6, and were it not for some amateurish base-running and a million to one incident of Pillar and Zeke going yard back to back, this would be a very different series.

Yes, Texas had a weak division and a poor run differential, but they actually had a losing record against sub-500 teams. Their success came from beating the good teams in AL.

Now you can say that their run differential suggests that we're far better then them. Yes, our run differential was 85 runs better than Texas. But Boston's run differential was 91 runs better than ours. Should we fold our tents if the next series happens to be Tor-Bos?

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Damn, even hockey before baseball? I never would've guessed with the storied history the Rangers have. ;)

:laugh: The at Stars at least have one championship and have some super-fanatical fans. I've never met someone who was a Rangers or Astros superfan. More like "kind of, sort of" fans. But I never lived in Dallas-FW, so maybe they exist.

BTW there's many thousands of Cowboys and UT Longhorns superfans. Just like there are many thousands of Leafs superfans. ;)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
These suggestions that Texas is a mediocre team now that we're up 2-0 I think are unwarranted.

Let's be frank, it could very very easily be 1-1 right now. They out hit us 13-6, and were it not for some amateurish base-running and a million to one incident of Pillar and Zeke going yard back to back, this would be a very different series.

Yes, Texas had a weak division and a poor run differential, but they actually had a losing record against sub-500 teams. Their success came from beating the good teams in AL.

Now you can say that their run differential suggests that we're far better then them. Yes, our run differential was 85 runs better than Texas. But Boston's run differential was 91 runs better than ours. Should we fold our tents if the next series happens to be Tor-Bos?

Just like the ALCS could have been 1-1 last year heading to Toronto had Goins and Bautista not have their wires crossed. Let's be frank, there are what ifs to every result. Jays made plays, Texas did not. That's the bottom line. All of the teams are good, and there is always going to be a fine line between wins and losses.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Just like the ALCS could have been 1-1 last year heading to Toronto had Goins and Bautista not have their wires crossed. Let's be frank, there are what ifs to every result. Jays made plays, Texas did not. That's the bottom line. All of the teams are good, and there is always going to be a fine line between wins and losses.

Totally.

But just like the Jays weren't a mediocre team when we got beat by KC last year, and instead were the WS favourites who just got victimized by some untimely, uncharacteristically poor defense and some untimely bad breaks (bases loaded and no outs late in the elimination game vs KC...and we don't cash a single runner), neither is Texas a mediocre, overrated team.

They're a good team, and we're beating them because we were better in game 1 and a little luckier in game 2.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

1)NFL football
2)College football

3)hockey
4)baseball
5)basketball

I heard the other day that you could grab a ticket in the lower bowl for around $20. Meanwhile last year I spent $100 on playoff nosebleed seats...

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
The schedule says 7:30pm start on TBS, with the first pitch probably at 7:38 like Dark Knight said. But the 4:00 game in Boston is also on TBS. So what happens if the Cle-Bos game goes into extra innings?

The baseball playoffs advertising is playing up the "every game, every pitch" on TV for everyone to see, but if the first game goes 4 hours, are they going to delay the Jays game or not show it? That would suck. I don't want to miss the fired-up crowd and atmosphere as the game starts (and Odor's first at-bat).

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Totally.

But just like the Jays weren't a mediocre team when we got beat by KC last year, and instead were the WS favourites who just got victimized by some untimely, uncharacteristically poor defense and some untimely bad breaks (bases loaded and no outs late in the elimination game vs KC...and we don't cash a single runner), neither is Texas a mediocre, overrated team.

They're a good team, and we're beating them because we were better in game 1 and a little luckier in game 2.

Ya but looking into game 3 its hard not to be confident, we've got a pretty favourable pitching matchup.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The schedule says 7:30pm start on TBS, with the first pitch probably at 7:38 like Dark Knight said. But the 4:00 game in Boston is also on TBS. So what happens if the Cle-Bos game goes into extra innings?

The baseball playoffs advertising is playing up the "every game, every pitch" on TV for everyone to see, but if the first game goes 4 hours, are they going to delay the Jays game or not show it? That would suck. I don't want to miss the fired-up crowd and atmosphere as the game starts (and Odor's first at-bat).

In that case, they will start the game on TNT. We wouldn't miss a thing.

LaCarriere

Does being down 0-2 last year will help the Jays in this situation where they are the ones who are up 2-0 after 2 road games? I think it does. They have seen how a 2-0 lead can evaporate and how things can unravel for a team in the playoffs. They will take nothing for granted. They know that at 2-0 series is not over.

A lot of core players are the same (on both teams), but the Jays bullpen and rotation are vastly different this year. The guy pitching for Toronto finished last year in the bullpen.

The problem with narratives like this is they can go both ways and you can flip it around easily. What does Toronto winning last year tell us? That a team can come back from an 0-2 deficit and win a 5 game series? Texas knows that's possible too... and teams that win their division go on 3 game win streaks all the time. Texas can look at last years jays and say "don't give up, we were in their position last year and look what happened, blah, blah, blah."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad