Blue Jays Discussion: Would rather get punched in May than knocked out in October - ALCS bound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
A lot of core players are the same (on both teams), but the Jays bullpen and rotation are vastly different this year. The guy pitching for Toronto finished last year in the bullpen.

The problem with narratives like this is they can go both ways and you can flip it around easily. What does Toronto winning last year tell us? That a team can come back from an 0-2 deficit and win a 5 game series? Texas knows that's possible too... and teams that win their division go on 3 game win streaks all the time. Texas can look at last years jays and say "don't give up, we were in their position last year and look what happened, blah, blah, blah."

Well, last year was very rare. Teams that go down 0-2 at home in a 5 game series never come back. Last year was the first or second time it ever happened.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Just came here to say that Baltimore and Boston were tougher competition in the regular season than the Rangers in the playoffs. Someone get the broom to sweep that dust outta Toronto

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Is the Cubs and Giants game not on Sportsnet tonight? I don't see it listed.

Nope. It's only on the MLB network. They get, I think, two exclusive playoff games every season.

EDIT: The Nationals/Dodgers game on Monday is also a MLBN exclusive.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Okay, thanks. I've seen this happen with college football games on ESPN and ESPN2, but ESPN2 already shows that sport and TNT never shows baseball. I'm guessing you guys also get TNT in Canada. :)

We get neither TBS nor TNT in Canada. Sportsnet carries the broadcasts from TBS/TNT up here.

And looking at the Sportsnet TV listings for tomorrow, they are carrying the BOS/CLE game on both SN and SN1 with the Jays game scheduled to be on SN. So, I assume that if BOS/CLE is still going on when the Jays game starts, then Sportsnet will continue airing the BOS/CLE game on SN1 while switching to the Jays game on SN.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
These suggestions that Texas is a mediocre team now that we're up 2-0 I think are unwarranted.

Let's be frank, it could very very easily be 1-1 right now. They out hit us 13-6, and were it not for some amateurish base-running and a million to one incident of Pillar and Zeke going yard back to back, this would be a very different series.

Yes, Texas had a weak division and a poor run differential, but they actually had a losing record against sub-500 teams. Their success came from beating the good teams in AL.

Now you can say that their run differential suggests that we're far better then them. Yes, our run differential was 85 runs better than Texas. But Boston's run differential was 91 runs better than ours. Should we fold our tents if the next series happens to be Tor-Bos?

If Texas doesn't like it, play better. Jays made plays, they didn't.

Could've, should've, would've.

Didn't.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I think the point to be made here is that those mistakes did happen. Just like those mistakes cost them in game 5 last year. Going 2-18 with runners in scoring position and losing to a team that was 0-0 with RISP is actually ridiculous.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah I think the point to be made here is that those mistakes did happen. Just like those mistakes cost them in game 5 last year. Going 2-18 with runners in scoring position and losing to a team that was 0-0 with RISP is actually ridiculous.

How many times Jays made mistakes that cost them games? It's nice when things go our way. I am not going to look at what ifs because it happens to everybody.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Well, last year was very rare. Teams that go down 0-2 at home in a 5 game series never come back. Last year was the first or second time it ever happened.

yup i think the stat was teams to go up 2-0 are 27-3 to win the series. (with jays being part those 3 teams last year)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
We get neither TBS nor TNT in Canada. Sportsnet carries the broadcasts from TBS/TNT up here.

And looking at the Sportsnet TV listings for tomorrow, they are carrying the BOS/CLE game on both SN and SN1 with the Jays game scheduled to be on SN. So, I assume that if BOS/CLE is still going on when the Jays game starts, then Sportsnet will continue airing the BOS/CLE game on SN1 while switching to the Jays game on SN.

a small correction.

depending on your cable package, we DO get TBS and TNT. (TBS could also be earmarked as "Peachtree TV" and TNT is just TNT) -I remember that because we used to have it in our cable package, but we cut out a lot of stuff when we re-added it back a few weeks ago to keep costs low.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
yup i think the stat was teams to go up 2-0 are 27-3 to win the series. (with jays being part those 3 teams last year)

yah. it's still a rare thing for a team to blow a 3-0 lead (or in a 5 game series, a 2-0 lead) period. 3 in baseball (and this has been going on since when? at least the 85? Hockey only has 4 (Leafs being the first hurrah), and Basketball has like 1 which was last year with the Cavs vs. Warriors.

the Rangers could win tomorrow, i mean. there should be some P+V in their game and Sanchez first start in the playoffs it could be wonky - but I simply can't see it going back to Texas. but i'll give the credit. it may happen.

Obviously i hope not.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

wait, we never got a runner in scoring position yesterday? I didn't realize until this post but yeah 4 HR, the 1 that wasn't a solo HR the runner was on 1st, that's crazy. And hilarious at the same time.

It's probably impossible to find but has a team who had RISP 18 times ever lose to a team that had RISP 0 times in a game before? That's absolutely insane

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
yah. it's still a rare thing for a team to blow a 3-0 lead (or in a 5 game series, a 2-0 lead) period. 3 in baseball (and this has been going on since when? at least the 85? Hockey only has 4 (Leafs being the first hurrah), and Basketball has like 1 which was last year with the Cavs vs. Warriors.

the Rangers could win tomorrow, i mean. there should be some P+V in their game and Sanchez first start in the playoffs it could be wonky - but I simply can't see it going back to Texas. but i'll give the credit. it may happen.

Obviously i hope not.

Actually, it still hasn't happened yet in the NBA. The Cavs were down 3-1 in that series. It's still really significant though, because that was the first time in Finals history that a team came back from a 3-1 deficit and the first time in the 4 major sports leagues, a team came back from a 3-1 deficit in the final round of a playoffs since the Kansas City Royals in 1985. Cavs were also the first road team to win game 7 of the Finals since 1978.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
wait, we never got a runner in scoring position yesterday? I didn't realize until this post but yeah 4 HR, the 1 that wasn't a solo HR the runner was on 1st, that's crazy. And hilarious at the same time.

It's probably impossible to find but has a team who had RISP 18 times ever lose to a team that had RISP 0 times in a game before? That's absolutely insane

SN Stats and Elias Sports don't have any info on that but Elias did have this:

6 different Blue Jays players have homered

The Blue Jays hit four home runs off Yu Darvish in a 5-3 victory over the Rangers. In taking a 2-0 lead in the series, Toronto has hit a total of six home runs, each by a different player: Melvin Upton Jr. and Jose Bautista in Game 1, Troy Tulowitzki, Kevin Pillar, Ezequiel Carrera, and Edwin Encarnacion in Game Two.

Only one other team had six different home-run hitters in the first two games of a postseason series: the Astros in a 2004 LDS against the Braves (Brad Ausmus, Lance Berkman, Carlos Beltran, Jason Lane, Jeff Bagwell, and Raul Chavez).

Jays overcome Rangers hits with big blasts

Those four home runs helped Toronto overcome a 13-6 deficit in hits. The Rangers were the first team to outhit their opponent by that wide a margin in a postseason loss since 2002, when the Cardinals outhit the Giants, 12-4, in a 4-3 loss at San Francisco in Game Four of the NLCS. That game was memorably decided when Tony LaRussa opted to intentionally walk Barry Bonds with two outs and the bases empty in the bottom of the eighth. Benito Santiago followed with a game-winning home run.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
a small correction.

depending on your cable package, we DO get TBS and TNT. (TBS could also be earmarked as "Peachtree TV" and TNT is just TNT) -I remember that because we used to have it in our cable package, but we cut out a lot of stuff when we re-added it back a few weeks ago to keep costs low.

Peachtree TV is not TBS. Peachtree is what used to be WTBS which used to be similar to the superstation TBS; however, a few years, the two separated and WTBS became Pearchtree TV. TBS is its own entity now and has a very different schedule. For example, you will not see any of TBS's original programming on Peachtree.

As for TNT, my understanding is that it has never been approved by the CRTC to be included in cable/sattelite packages in Canada. So, perhaps you are mixing TNT up with some station that might have a similar name. Who was/is your cable provider?

Perhaps you're mixing up TNT (Turner Network Television) with TCM (Turner Classic Movies). The latter is definitely available in Canada.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
One thing to worry about with Sanchez is him facing lefties at home. You know Bannister is going to stack them up against him. Beltran, Odor, Choo, Mazara, Moreland.

Jays are really going to have to figure out Lewis.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
As a HUGE Cowboys fan in addition to the Leafs, I can assure you all that the state of Texas is ALL about Football. It is equal to our love of hockey.

I don't get this.

We're all hockey, but when a team like the Jays are in the playoffs, we're all baseball as well.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Peachtree TV is not TBS. Peachtree is what used to be WTBS which used to be similar to the superstation TBS; however, a few years, the two separated and WTBS became Pearchtree TV. TBS is its own entity now and has a very different schedule. For example, you will not see any of TBS's original programming on Peachtree.

As for TNT, my understanding is that it has never been approved by the CRTC to be included in cable/sattelite packages in Canada. So, perhaps you are mixing TNT up with some station that might have a similar name. Who was/is your cable provider?

Perhaps you're mixing up TNT (Turner Network Television) with TCM (Turner Classic Movies). The latter is definitely available in Canada.

Ooohhhhhhh.. maybe. TCM is very familiar, so i probably inverted it in my head. sorry about that rojac. and thanks for the correction.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Just like the ALCS could have been 1-1 last year heading to Toronto had Goins and Bautista not have their wires crossed. Let's be frank, there are what ifs to every result. Jays made plays, Texas did not. That's the bottom line. All of the teams are good, and there is always going to be a fine line between wins and losses.

If Donaldson made the right play and threw to first base to take the out and concede the run...... it was a totally.different game too.

But he didn't. And they won. And they look so good. And.... best record in baseball in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad