Blue Jays Discussion: Would rather get punched in May than knocked out in October - ALCS bound!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I still can't believe all the uncertainty and negativity around the team (from fans) and now a win away from conference final.

You really can't predict baseball it's the best thing about the game the unpredictability.

Its best to know ur opponent before being so confident. Its also best putting the best players. Also, its good to be concerned before games so u have backup plans.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I still can't believe all the uncertainty and negativity around the team (from fans) and now a win away from conference final.

You really can't predict baseball it's the best thing about the game the unpredictability.

While a fan can be smart, fans (particularly this fanbase) are insecure, prone to panic, consistently prone to recency bias, and will always believe that hot streaks are never ending when they occur for their opponent, and cold streaks are the new normal for their players.

You can predict baseball, to a certain extent, over a large sample size. The unpredictability comes from the nature of the playoffs unfolding over a very small sample size. That's why, over most attributes, you want your team to have good starters and solid defence. Because those things tend not to be as streaky as hitting, power hitting and relief pitching. And then, to win it all, you invariably need to get hot in atleast one of those three categories.

Its not a game for the faint of heart or soft of mind. But my God, is it beautiful.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, I mean if the jays were in a nhl-style playoffs I doubt they play this good.

MLB playoffs tend to favour whoever's hot at the right time, compared to the NHL where the better team usually wins.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
While a fan can be smart, fans (particularly this fanbase) are insecure, prone to panic, consistently prone to recency bias, and will always believe that hot streaks are never ending when they occur for their opponent, and cold streaks are the new normal for their players.

You can predict baseball, to a certain extent, over a large sample size. The unpredictability comes from the nature of the playoffs unfolding over a very small sample size. That's why, over most attributes, you want your team to have good starters and solid defence. Because those things tend not to be as streaky as hitting, power hitting and relief pitching. And then, to win it all, you invariably need to get hot in atleast one of those three categories.

Its not a game for the faint of heart or soft of mind. But my God, is it beautiful.

s3AoP.gif

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004

Preach! :bow:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Playoff roster age comp: TOR - BOS

1. 4 SP, 3 high lev RP, 9 Starting Hitters

Bautista 35 ----- Uehara 41
Encarnacion 33 -- Ortiz 40
Martin 33 ------- Ziegler 36
Happ 33 --------- Ramirez 32
Estrada 32 ------ Pedroia 32
Liriano 32 ------ Buchholz 31
Tulowitzki 31 --- Price 30
Donaldson 30 ---- Kimbrel 28
Saunders 29 ----- Holt 28
Carrera 28 ------ Leon 27
Pillar 27 ------- Porcello 27
Biagini 26 ------ Bradley 26
Stroman 25 ------ Rodriguez 23
Travis 25 ------- Bogaerts 23
Sanchez 23 ------ Betts 23
Osuna 21 -------- Benintendi 21

2. Bench + MR

Grilli 39 -------- Hill 34
Feldman 33 ------- Young 32
Navarro 32 ------- Kelly 28
Upton 31 --------- Ross 27
Barney 30 -------- Pomeranz 27
Smoak 29 --------- Shaw 26
Cecil 29 --------- Barnes 26
Loup 28 ---------- Vazquez 25
Tepera 28 -------- Hernandez 23

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah, I mean if the jays were in a nhl-style playoffs I doubt they play this good.

MLB playoffs tend to favour whoever's hot at the right time, compared to the NHL where the better team usually wins.

the jays are a much better team than texas. in fact only the Cubs.are notably better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

see, but if you predict based on good data, than we should have expected this from the jays.

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON

NHL playoffs are also very much about getting hot at the right time, especially in net.

If the better team usually won we would see President's trophy winners take the cup most years, which we usually don't.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why is a batboy celebrating with the manager in the first place

Why not? They see these kids all the time and you always see players and them high five. To stiff arm one is an ******* move. And Bannister has always come off that way to me. I hope the Jays wipe that stupid look off his face tomorrow. Bat flip after bat flip.

Mad Brills*

With the indians possibly sweeping on sunday too, would be nice to have a few days off before a potential game 1 on friday.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The AL ERA leader is going 3rd in this series. Just appreciate what we have. Enjoy it. Embrace it. The first game we threw the AL leader in opponent batting average at them, the second game we had a 20 game winner, and now the 3rd game we are throwing the AL leader in ERA at them. Feels good, man.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

So much wrong with this post. For starters, we are better just actually play in a division with good teams. In their division we'd win 100 games. What do you mean by "NHL style playoffs"?

Also have you ever watched NHL style playoffs? There are plenty of Cinderella runs but in the NHL over half the league makes it. Its which goalie gets hot at the right time. I think you're confusing NHL and NBA.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Josh Hamilton is correct in hindsight when he previously declared how the State of Texas is not big on baseball.

As a HUGE Cowboys fan in addition to the Leafs, I can assure you all that the state of Texas is ALL about Football. It is equal to our love of hockey.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
2 things to reinforce:

1. Osuna's hesitation step on that last crucial pitch demonstrated gigantic testicles.
2. I know i give him lots of grief but dammit Upton's lazy/scared misplay almost cost us the game - and he's a defensive replacement! pompey should really be playing ahead of him. that play was a disgrace.

I'm pretty sure that's what Tulo told Osuna to do right before that pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad