Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
I see nothing wrong with that call with how things currently are called. It doesn't take much at all for the goals to be overturned and this is just a continuum of that.

What IMO makes the case for the goalie interference is the fact that McDavid crosses the crease and bumps the goalie enough to make him move an inch or two. McDavid didn't have to hit the blue paint, sure he was helped a bit but not that much. The argument is whether the goalie could've made the save or not. That's subjective IMO and there's really no way of knowing for 100% and it usually seems to go for goalie.

Do I agree with that? No I don't. I think the goalies are way too overprotected. I'm not saying goalies should be able to run over, whether they are in the crease or playing the puck behind the net but they definitely shouldn't get that much benefit of the doubt. These kind of "infractions" shouldn't be sufficient enough to overturn a goal. The same could be said about last night's Minnesota vs. Pittsburgh game's overturned goal. In both cases the goalie may or may not have saved the goal. If it can't be determined 100% that the goalie WOULD'VE made the save, the goal should NEVER be overturned.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Not quite as bad as the ghost tripping Holtby a few seasons back against Detroit but still horrible.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
I actually understand what the refs were thinking on this one, so I dont think this is the worst goalie interferance call yet. Although he has nowhere else to go, McDavid does contact the goalie and drag the arm out of position jst before the shot comes in.

Realistically I think goals like this should probably count, but in the world of terrible calls the NHL has made this doesnt seem that egregious.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Literally nothing makes sense anymore.

When you have McDavid and Matthews, two faces of the game doing the things they did the last few days, there are major, major issues.

Reactions: Raging Bull

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I actually understand what the refs were thinking on this one, so I dont think this is the worst goalie interferance call yet. Although he has nowhere else to go, McDavid does contact the goalie and drag the arm out of position jst before the shot comes in.

Realistically I think goals like this should probably count, but in the world of terrible calls the NHL has made this doesnt seem that egregious.

It’s just really nitpicky. I can understand where they might’ve seen it as GI, but that is so ticky tacky and that is exactly how we have such a grey area with this stuff.

One night it’s okay and the next its not. Pick your decision from out of a hat...that is essentially what is happening at this point.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Sorry I am still salty about that one.

I understand wholeheartedly. I'm not a fan of the current system, where if you even look at the goalie the wrong way, the goal is nullified. Or that's how it seems.

Considering how conclusive the evidence has to be, for a goal to be overturned, I'm not happy about the calls at all. While I see the argument and a case, I have NOT seen one 100% conclusive, beyond reasonable doubt case yet. The goalies are getting too big of a benefit right now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
So lemme get this straight NHL

That goal and the Matthews one are NO GOAL

But

The Wild goal vs TB, Preds vs TB, and Hawks vs TOR are good goal

What the actual f***

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel like the reviews are just not fulfilling their purpose right now. What referees gain in terms of additional information gets cancelled out by an overemphasize on technicalities instead of going with their gut.

I can honestly say that based on the games I've watched since the GI-calls started to get on my radar, I've been dissatisfied with almost as many calls after reviews as before them. And if we're going to take breaks in the game, slow them down like this, then there needs to be a substantial improvement in the calls made. I'm not seeing that. Sure you can find interpretations that support them, but that's seeking justification for calls that go against common sense to me.

The obvious way to go, in my opinion, is to scrap the coaches challenge, have the video room in Toronto review goals and cut the referees out of the decision loop. Let them judge if there's enough there for a more careful look, and let the same guys make that call to get a consistent baseline. Have them work from these guidelines:
1) Don't bother unless there's something obvious.
2) Don't overturn if there's any hesitation.
3) If you can't make that determination within a few minutes, don't overturn.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I understand the GI call. The rule is applied McDavid interfered with the goalie inside the crease. The goalie was bothered in order to make the 2nd save

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Well, if anyone couldn’t understand what type of people were running the league that creates these kind of situations, now you see how many people think this was an appropriate call and realize they’ve body snatched the top officials. “Dragged to the side a foot.” and “hit his arm out of the way making him unable to make the save.”, what are people seeing that I’m not? If any part of a goalie is touched and a goal occurs within the next few seconds, are we calling them all off now? His skate hits his blocker moving IT over to the left a little but McDavid is practically ten feet away from the net by the time Strome scores. Calgary’s goalie has time to stand up but not bring his arm back in? Nah, you’re right, the goalie would have hugged the post as McDavid cut to the left in front of him and would have been there for the save. To me, the final replay might be the most telling in how little(not at all) McDavid drags him to the side but that contact didn’t impede him at all for the second shot and it blows my mind some of you support this. I thought having the review was hysterical and never thought for a second that it would be called back.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I came in expecting hyperbole and am leaving disappointed. OP was 100% accurate, that was the worst GI call I have ever seen. That ref needs to sit a few games.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Is it seriously because McDavid's skate grazed Smith's pad? WOW, if so!!! I like how the league is trying to increase scoring, yet at the same time, they have turned nothing plays into goalie interference. Honestly about 70% of this seasons goalie interference calls are not goalie interference.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You know what is worse than that call, fans chiming in, that it was a good call. This kind of stuff being disallowed is why a few years from now we will see only 2-1 games with 15 goalie interference goals turned away.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The NHL has a major problem on their hand and they better fix it. The refs have no idea what they are doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad