Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
This league needs to explain what is Goaltender Interference and what isn't.

I don't understand the rule anymore. In my mind, it's 50/50 whenever they go to review. Can't say I like it very much.

Just bring back the "can't go in the blue paint" rule. That sucked ass, but at least it was cut and dry.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not only was the goal waived off, Luke Glendening was called for a penalty.

This was the worst goalie interference call ever.

These are the types of blunders that should automatically disqualify an official from the NHL. Send him down to the AHL. Game ruining.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well, to start with I'd actually want to see the memo to see the exact wording, because there is a biiiig difference between a 50/50 call and interference that looks outrageous. I'm skeptical the memo left that kind of room for error, and those two statements are at odds with each other.

But then I'd look at, as an example, the McDavid interference and I'd say that isn't a 50/50 call. It's clear interference. McDavid skated right through the blue, made contact with the goaltender, and pulled him out of position. Since a defender didn't put McDavid in that position(ie push him in), that's an obvious call. If a defenseman somehow contributed to it, then I think it could be 50/50, depending on how much effort McDavid makes to avoid contact, how much force it looks like the defenseman applies, etc... That just doesn't apply here.
I would also like to see this memo as well. However I'm just reporting on what Dreger was saying regarding it, so don't shoot the messenger.

North

Jun 25, 2009
People are missing the point. McDavid may have committed goaltender interference but the way things have been called there is confusion.

There have been similar plays that haven't been called GI.

The issue is the consistency of the calls (from the refs and the situation room) which seems to be hard to predict.

They need to set a standard and follow it. Right now they don't.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I agree with you and frankly am extremely surprised at the sheer amount of posts stating otherwise. This is not a blown call. McDavid’s skate makes contact with goalie → goalie slightly spins and moves to his right → is now not in same position as he would have been if McDavid has not made contact (that position being slightly to the right and not square to direction of upcoming shot) → did not make save
I don’t understand. Please someone use detail to enlighten me if I’m missing something here. He caused goalie to be out of position. This in turn caused him to not be as ready for the upcoming shot on goal as he would have been had McDavid NOT made contact.
Yeah still waiting for someone to tell me how exactly I’m wrong regarding this play. Don’t just give some sweeping generalizations, specifically refute the points I made. How is this the worst call ever? It’s not even a wrong call.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Well you can't skate into the crease and initiate contact with the goalie resulting in a goal!!!!! Goalie interference 101 folks!!!!

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Stick to whether the puck crossed the goal line. The offside review often has little bearing on the goal and the goalie interference, kicking motion and high stick reviews are all judgement calls. If four officials on the ice can’t get it right without a video review they shouldn’t be working games. The goal cam is effective in discerning if the puck crosses the goal line in most instances so that’s the only review I’d still like to see.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't even?

Intentional contact in the crease that moved the goalie out of position. Sure he made a last ditch attempt to recover, but that's a hard move to make having weight initially on glove side, being forced to move stick side and then immediately back to glove.

Good call, and additionally last thing we want to do is encourage skaters to kick at a goalie's blocker hand to knock a puck loose /reposition him. That was dirty pool on McDavids part and good on the GI call as a result.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Also, with all the uncertainty about GI, I'm starting to get on board with the calls to move to the international rule. Establish position inside the blue paint as an attacker? Play called dead immediately.

At least then it eliminates all these arguments.

Helen not Helene

Feb 26, 2018
Its obvious Toronto doesn't know what the hell they're doing . Kings game the refs call good goal then Toronto takes ur away .Not surprised since they're still butt hurt over 1993.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->