Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
The league sure knows how to suck the fun right out with these cheesy incidental contact with the goalie calls and the ridiculous offside rule.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
It looks like McDavid's foot hits the goaltender and moves him, but there is also enough time to reset so I'm not sure the contact was enough to hinder positioning. Then again, without the contact would his positioning have been better?

I don't think it's the worst goaltender interference call of the season, much less in history. It's a tough way to end up losing a goal, though.

How did you come to the conclusion that the goalie had enough "time to reset"? He gets pulled to one side and a second later the puck comes in from the other side. Contact clearly happens deep in the crease. I thought it was a bad call when I saw it live but after watching the replay a few times I can totally understand why the decision was changed.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
How did you come to the conclusion that the goalie had enough "time to reset"? He gets pulled to one side and a second later the puck comes in from the other side. Contact clearly happens deep in the crease. I thought it was a bad call when I saw it live but after watching the replay a few times I can totally understand why the decision was changed.

By "reset" I mean he had some time to attempt to make a save after the contact, but the more I watch it the more I tend to agree that the contact was enough to substantially diminish his ability to get into a more desirable position and because of that the call was correct.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Hopefully at least they're going to talk about it. I know whatever they do can't be perfect but just take some of the uncertainty out of it to try and make it more consistent.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Jesus christ, move on already. Every time I see a goalie interference thread, Oiler fans continually reference this stupid play in the Ducks series. You guys lost, it's done, move on. Stop living in the past.
Ask Leaf fans if a high stick on Gilmour still pisses them off.
It sucks to lose a series because of a botched call.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yea, there's just no way you can call that a no-goal when last night, Andersen gets impeded with a stick to the head and sprawled upon.

The Matthews-Bernier goal called back, agreed

But not the Hawks-Tor goal last night, IMO.

I agree. I think the Matthews-Bernier goal was GI but that means the Hawks-Tor goal should have been as well.

Reactions: firstemperor

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Lmao, I thought OP was trolling, when the Oil scored I shut off the game, had no idea until right now the goal was overturned. Looks like we lost anyways, lesson learned I guess.

Sevren

Nov 10, 2009
Montreal
By "reset" I mean he had some time to attempt to make a save after the contact, but the more I watch it the more I tend to agree that the contact was enough to substantially diminish his ability to get into a more desirable position and because of that the call was correct.

Cool :thumbu:

I think there is a good chance that the Oilers would have scored anyway but unfortunately for them I think the goal came too quickly after contact with the goalie. I don't think he had enough time to reset and so I understand why the refs made that call after watching the replay.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
You know what is worse than that call, fans chiming in, that it was a good call. This kind of stuff being disallowed is why a few years from now we will see only 2-1 games with 15 goalie interference goals turned away.
Tell us Bob, do you think Smith's save % went up or down on that play?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
My girlfriend and I watched the game. We thought the game was over, so we turned it off and just started talking about how lame the Flames played that OT for like 5 minutes. I didn't get an update on my phone that the game ended, so I decided to check. Lo and behold, goaltender interference was called :laugh:.

That has to be the worst goaltending interference call that I've seen in my lifetime. I don't think anything will come close to that. It sucked to lose twice too.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Seems pretty clear to me at this point that the league front office has sent word to the Refs to focus on interference with the goalie's stick.

No other explanation for the Mathews, Koivu and McDavid calls happening within 4 days, all being incredibly weak in the mind of anyone that see's them, but technically interference.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
How hard can it be ? it an easy desission Mcdavid moves the goalie away from the puck whit his skate.
about Matthews he took away berniers stick....................

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Woah. That's just weak. The Koivu and Matthews ones are also extremely weak. Of course a case can be made for all of them why they shouldn't count but I just don't see it on any of those. Some incidental contact really can't be that decisive.

Is it just me or is this season the worst of the 2010's in what comes to officiating? Can't remember it ever being considered this bad league wide by so many teams, players and fans. I usually don't hate on refs because hockey is a fast game where you are bound to make an officiating mistake every now and then, but sheesh. It's has been horrible this year.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I think the best part of all these horrible calls is that the big shots from the NHL get together every offseason thinking of new gimmicky ways to increase scoring by .01 goals per game and not one of them is like "hey guys, maybe we shouldn't call goaltender interference for breathing in the crease".

Incidental contact when a player is outside of the crease should be allowed. Incidental contact inside the crease when the puck is also int he crease should also be allowed. This would have resulted in both the Matthews and McDavid goal counting.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Clear GI the way I see it, goalie is taken out of the play and his ability to make the save is greatly hindered as a result. Glad to see McDavid not getting the McDavid treatment for once.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
B5AEACBE-7E5D-428F-8D8B-C373A7D09CD1.jpeg

Jul 22, 2012
I'm usually the first one to clown on the Oilers but holy shit that was a bad call. I can't even comprehend it.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I don't really see an issue with the call. Skated through the crease (on his own), clipped the goalie and twisted him away from where the puck was, and the puck goes in pretty shortly after.

Hardly worst of all time.
If that's what had happened on the play, I agree it could've been a case of goaltender interference.

McDavid makes some contact with the goalie's stick/blocker and that's really it. He didn't twist the goalie away from the puck. The goalie has time to reset but the real problem for him is that he has no idea where the puck is until it's too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad