Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Wait a minute though, the air hit Talbot on that one, so should be no goal!
2 of the 3 angles don’t show a lot but the one shows him catch his blocker and move it. At least on that one it’s actually the side where the puck went in. It’s just an example to show that this league has absolutely zero consistency. Players and coaches have been saying for years that they just need to know the black and white of what’s a penalty and what isn’t. I get that it’s a lot of different refs and how that would change per game but the war room is as inconsistent as you could get. The big ol’ fancy room with all the experts and technology you could ask for is a total coin flip as to what they’ll deem it to be. They keep slowing down the game for integrity to the inch and failing miserably.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
eh mcdavid did bump the goalie. even if slightly. makes a difference imo. oh well they still won

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I actually hope they start waiving off every goal, cause I mean, imagine all those wonderful save percentages we will see?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Brutal call. He barely grazes the goalie stick and it was the goalie that initiated the contact. Also, the reason they scored is because the goalie is following McDavid because he doesn't know where the puck is. Getting tired of these goalie interference calls.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Wow, look at the Matthews non goal and last night's non goal following referee reviews and then try to explain Andersen's mugging and the Chicago allowed goal!
Is anyone in the NHL office concerned about this mess or are they just going to continue to cover up these very questionable and now game changing decisions with very weak explanations? When I say game changing I mean they not only affect the final outcome of the game obviously but they also make scoring plays that were always considered good goals into nothing more than game delays.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I understand the GI call. The rule is applied McDavid interfered with the goalie inside the crease. The goalie was bothered in order to make the 2nd save

Simply put your hand INSIDE the pad and it's no longer in the crease.

oilersgoal1-577x339.jpg

C_Hy5DYUAAA1aSS.jpg

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It looks like McDavid's foot hits the goaltender and moves him, but there is also enough time to reset so I'm not sure the contact was enough to hinder positioning. Then again, without the contact would his positioning have been better?

I don't think it's the worst goaltender interference call of the season, much less in history. It's a tough way to end up losing a goal, though.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Flames fan and I definitely felt it should have been a goal. In fact I thought it was over until Rittich went crazy, and then I was shocked that it actually got called back.

If it had made a difference and the Flames had ended up winning, this thread would be a lot worse than it is now lol. IMO the Oilers deserved to win anyways though so I guess it’s a good thing they did regardless of the call. The league should really fix their stuff on these calls.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Meh. To the people complaining about him being able to "reset", watch the Leafs disallowed goal earlier this year against the Kings. After the initial interference, Quick had a good 5+ seconds to "reset".

Based on the precedent they've set, I don't see why this would be considered a good goal. It's worse than Matthews vs the Avs, but it's less interference than Anisimov vs the Leafs.

As the great Tortorella once said (yesterday): "the only thing consistent about goaltender interference this year is that you never know what you’re gonna get".

Reactions: OldMilIce

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
What you said?

Im not sure about that one... Wild player completey pulls the stick away from pens goalie, puck goes five hole, right where a goalies stick would have been because the stick is basically what covers the five whole.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
It is goalie interference. He clearly dragged the goalie away from the portion of the net where the goal was then scored, impeding his ability to make the save*. The goalie has minimal time to reset, not a few seconds as some posters are suggesting (try not watching it in slow motion).

*insert "juuuuuust barely" there

As a Jets fan, we've seen our goalies run over and lost the challenges and had goals taken away for similarly minor interference. So I have no idea how much you can interfere with the goalie anymore.

I don't think anyone, the NHL included, knows anymore.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad