Worst Goaltender Interference Call in History- CGY/EDM

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I don't see any similarity between the plays.

That's because they aren't similar. In one instance, a guy is on top of a goaltender and is making no effort to move away from him. In the other, a player happens to slightly touch a goalie driving to the net.

An argument can certainly be made that Anisimov "restricted the goaltender's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal" more than McDavid did considering that in the incident in question the goaltender was able to get back in position after being contacted whereas Andersen had to deal with having Anisimov draped all over him while a goal was being scored.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That's because they aren't similar. In one instance, a guy is on top of a goaltender and is making no effort to move away from him. In the other, a player happens to slightly touch a goalie driving to the net.

An argument can certainly be made that Anisimov "restricted the goaltender's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal" more than McDavid did considering that in the incident in question the goaltender was able to get back in position after being contacted whereas Andersen had to deal with having Anisimov draped all over him while a goal was being scored.

You can see Polak attempt to shove him. the hawks players used that to his advantage...It's still a good goal if your teammate pushes someone onto you

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
We did get screwed like this in the playoffs last year. Remember Ana pulling our goalies legs open to score?

Too bad Kesler had his hands on his own stick under Talbots pad.. That's a good goal 10/10 times. Now if he was holding onto Talbots pad and prying it open..... That's another story

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
GI is becoming an issue this season. At this point we might as well just not allow players in the slot.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Pull the goalie to the side while skating through the crease... Good goalie interference call by the war room in Toronto

Reactions: GoCaps2004

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Yea, there's just no way you can call that a no-goal when last night, Andersen gets impeded with a stick to the head and sprawled upon.

Oh wow......that's 10000000000000000000000000000000000X worse than the one against TO

The Matthews-Bernier goal called back, agreed

But not the Hawks-Tor goal last night, IMO.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Too bad Kesler had his hands on his own stick under Talbots pad.. That's a good goal 10/10 times. Now if he was holding onto Talbots pad and prying it open..... That's another story
So by your logic if a hand is on the stick you can do anything wrong with your arm? How does anyone get an elbowing penalty then? Get real. Was clear goalie interference.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
With the naked eye I thought he might have dragged him with the skate, but with the review surely not.

I don't know how they review that and miss it.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Maybe I'm petty, but I'd love it if McDavid and Matthews boycotted the NHL All-Star game in light of the NHL's inability to get a simple call right or find some modicum of consistency with goalie interference calls and if the NHL threatens to suspend them for doing so just let it be known you won't cut any promos for the league for the next 5 years, I'm sure the NHL would back down.

Reactions: HansonBro

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Tkachuk purposely ran the Oilers goalie three times and the Mcdavid play is the only one that ends up being counted as "goalie interference". :laugh:
I asked earlier tonight so I’ll ask again... does the league still call goaltender interference penalties when a goal isn’t scored? I don’t remember the last time I saw somebody getting a penalty just for running a goalie. It seems now that the only time this rule is enforced is if there is an opportunity to manipulate the outcome of a game.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
So by your logic if a hand is on the stick you can do anything wrong with your arm? How does anyone get an elbowing penalty then? Get real. Was clear goalie interference.

You can also see Kesler being pushed from behind in some clips, Again which will be called a good goal if your teammate pushes you into there goalie. Nurse was all over Keslers back like he was in heat

mcdraividmoto

Sep 28, 2017

LOL seriously? So if I'm say Connor McDavid and I have a rush on a half-breakaway say in an OT game against Calgary and I have both hands on my stick I can skate into the goalie and then my teammate, let's call him Ryan Strome, can score on the rebound and it would be a good goal by your logic. Right? Because he had both hands on his stick?

Oh wait....

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

That is very clearly not everything that happened on that play.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
LOL seriously? So if I'm say Connor McDavid and I have a rush on a half-breakaway say in an OT game against Calgary and I have both hands on my stick I can skate into the goalie and then my teammate, let's call him Ryan Strome, can score on the rebound and it would be a good goal by your logic. Right? Because he had both hands on his stick?

Oh wait....

When you're pushed down and you hold onto your stick that just happens to be near the goalies pad.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
the Referees determined that McDavid prevented Rittich from doing his job in his crease, in accordance with Rule 78.7 which states in part: "The standard for overturning the call in the event of a 'GOAL' call on the ice is that the Referee ... determines that the goal should have been disallowed due to 'Interference on the Goalkeeper,' as described in Rules 69.1, 69.3 and 69.4."

But then you watch the video and the refs says that the situation room made the call. So who actually made the call?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
.. and yet this

crap is considered a good goal.

I swear, the NHL is becoming an embarrassment all over.

Teams all over the league losing millions yearly, hooking, slashing at will and the refs turn a blind-eye. Plugs invited to the All-Star Game.

Oh yes, the cringe fest that is the 'new' World Cup of Hockey.

Every 5th goal is cancelled for 'goalie interference'. In fifteen years of following NHL hockey, I've never seen this. This is absurd.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad