GDT: World Juniors

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Does this tournament get any media coverage at all in the US? I feel it's gotten completely over hyped and no one seems to really care but us in Canada. Also, having it in Canada every 2 years is not fair at all IMO. I think Canada still likes the tourney but not as much as I can remember from like 1990-2010 era.

It is really big in Sweden as well.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Does this tournament get any media coverage at all in the US? I feel it's gotten completely over hyped and no one seems to really care but us in Canada. Also, having it in Canada every 2 years is not fair at all IMO. I think Canada still likes the tourney but not as much as I can remember from like 1990-2010 era.

Personally, this year's tournament lacks the star power. Who are the biggest names this year? Strome, Barzal, Keller and Nylander? Last year had Marner, Nylander (although hurt), Nylander, Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi, Matthews, Werenski, Provorov, Juolevi, etc...all playing key roles, which, to me, made it a much more anticipated tournament.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Personally, this year's tournament lacks the star power. Who are the biggest names this year? Strome, Barzal, Keller and Nylander? Last year had Marner, Nylander (although hurt), Nylander, Laine, Aho, Puljujarvi, Matthews, Werenski, Provorov, Juolevi, etc...all playing key roles, which, to me, made it a much more anticipated tournament.

Juolevi is there this year but hasn't looked great.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Those guys aren't star players sorry. You're only saying that because they've been through the WJs and are now in the NHL.

A guy like Keller is every bit as good as Marner or Aho.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Those guys aren't star players sorry. You're only saying that because they've been through the WJs and are now in the NHL.

A guy like Keller is every bit as good as Marner or Aho.

Lol... Marner and Aho are absolutely star power. That PuLaAho line was one of the most dominant lines in recent WJC history. Who is a star if not two guys with legit NHL 70+ point upside?

No problem with putting Keller up in the same range. He has been great in the games I've watched.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Marner is 'star power'? lol Good grief.

Aho too? lol

In terms of WJC, they certainly were heading into that tournament. Not sure how you could even deny that. There was a lot of hype about both of them. Marner was a #4 pick in a very good draft the prior year (vs. Keller being a #7 in a lesser draft). The Aho hype train because of what he was doing in Karpat was way up there. But even so, that's not overly important to my point.

Let's accept your assertion that Keller is as much of a star as those guys, ok? Keller is one of probably the 4-5 most marquee players in this tournament this year. Since you are suggesting Aho and Marner didn't have Star power, then you'd have to admit Keller doesn't have Star power as well, right? Therefore, you just completely validated my point. The crop of players in last year's tournament had more star power than this year. Especially given that Keller is one of the more marquee players this year, and per you, he wouldn't have even been a star last year. ;)

EDIT: Oh yeah. I forgot the LOL and LOL, Good Grief for emphasis.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
To further expand, I ask...which group has more "star power"

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Aho
Nylander
Nylander
Werenski
Provorov
Juolevi
Marner
Strome
Tkachuk
etc..

vs.
Strome
Barzal
Keller
Nylander
Kaprizov
Joulevi
?

Good grief, it's not even close.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
So is everyone finding streams for these games? I've only watched one game and streamed it. I think it's only officially on the NHL network in the states.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Gauthier and Roy had two bad turnovers early that led to good chances for the Americans. Good thing we scored on our first shot.

We don't look particularly great. Couple turnovers and having trouble breaking out of our zone but now it's 2-0 so I'll take it.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I turned the game on for the first time all tournament and the Hurricanes prospects looked amazing! Don't know what you guys have been talking about in Bean haha?

Jerk Newton

5 Nights at Stormy's
Nov 11, 2005
North Carolina
I'm torn; part of me is rooting for the US for patriotism and whatnot, but part of me is rooting for Canada because of our prospects on the team.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I turned the game on for the first time all tournament and the Hurricanes prospects looked amazing! Don't know what you guys have been talking about in Bean haha?

Really?

Cool thing is Gauthier had the gwg in the quarters and semis and Roy has the current gwg for now in the final.

Oops I jinxed it.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Really?

Cool thing is Gauthier had the gwg in the quarters and semis and Roy has the current gwg for now in the final.

Oops I jinxed it.

Lol yeah I turned it on about 1 minute before the Bean to Roy goal during the intermission. So my short viewing the Canes prospects looked amazing haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad