GDT: World Juniors

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Chabot made a poor play on that 2nd goal and his D partner let the other guy get behind him. Nylander made a nice play on it though, but TC played it poorly defensively and the Goalie didn't help.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
That's pretty damn bad. Unfortunately the past success of the team drive ticket prices up to a point where it's not affordable and people won't go considering our recent results. The whole event has become so commercialized.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
What on earth made them think Bean against Nylanders line was a good idea.

Bean looks like he has pencil thin legs (just an observations). He also looks like he's just scared to make a play out there. Even when he's carrying the puck in open ice, he looks like he's so unsure and uncomfortable, as if his confidence is completely shaken.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gauthier puts Canada ahead 3-2.

A couple more big goals and I wouldn't be shocked if Gauthier made the all-tourney team.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, Roy is looking really good. Bean actually looked decent that period and made a couple nice plays on the offensive end. Still a bit shaky, but better.

Near the end of the 2nd, I didn't like when Gauthier made a couple of weak dump ins to avoid taking a hit. The dump in is fine, but he kind of pulled up and then the dump was weak and he had no more momentum. Roy is playing with physicality and Gauthier shied away a bit on those.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
McKenzie's comment at intermission...said Roy has been excellent all tournament and that he's a 4th round pick playing like a 1st rounder. Also said Francis is sitting right behind him and must be liking what he's seeing.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
First game I watched in the entirety. Bean was brutal the 1st half, but after those couple of nice plays in the offensive zone, got progressively better and played a decent game. He's so slight that he needs to get a lot stronger and still didn't look completely comfortable. Baby steps I guess.

Gauthier may have scored 2 goals, but I thought Roy played a better game.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Roy was a beast today, did something good almost every shift. Would probably take a spot with Canes today if he could.

I'm excited for both Roy and Gauthier. They bring something that is missing from this team right now.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Have the Canes ever drafted a player from the Q that made the roster, much less was an impact player? Gauthier, Roy, Booth all looking good.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Have the Canes ever drafted a player from the Q that made the roster, much less was an impact player? Gauthier, Roy, Booth all looking good.

Here is the complete list of Q picks (I think)

1997: Lessard
2001: Boisclair
2002: Lane, Manzato
2004: Vagner
2005: Blanchard
2006: Chaput
2008: Moreau
2009: Paradis (LOL)
2014: Bishop
2015: Booth, Roy, Smallman
2016: Gauthier

In fairness, a lot of those picks are pretty late rounders. Booth was a 4th rounder. Roy was a 4th rounder that fell. Lessard was a 3rd rounder and got time with the Thrashers. Lane was a 3rd rounder. Paradis and Gauthier are 1st rounders. Other than that, they are all 5th or later.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Jerome Samson wasn't drafted, but he was the GOAT.

It's nice to see Gauthier come up big in these games. The thing I've liked about Roy is he plays the big man's game really really well. He will go hard to the net, and he seems to live on setting up screens and trying to make tips. Hopefully that's the kind of thing that sticks with him as he moves up. And definitely about as good as Bean has looked so far. He does need to mature physically a bit more for sure.

All that said, I hope they all play like crap in the gold medal game.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Does this tournament get any media coverage at all in the US? I feel it's gotten completely over hyped and no one seems to really care but us in Canada. Also, having it in Canada every 2 years is not fair at all IMO. I think Canada still likes the tourney but not as much as I can remember from like 1990-2010 era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad