Winnipeg Jets select LW Erik Foley (3/17)

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg

jetkarma*

Merci , yes that's it . Now we can get some accurate numbers to link to the new Jets .

I mean the numbers of the Jets official site is way off , so this is great .

Jack Roslovic at 6'1.75 " is a good confirmation , essentially 6-2 already , 182 pounds .

Kyle Connor at 6' 1.37" 173 pounds . So , again , essentially 6'1.5" .

Not sure if there more Jets picks that he listed .

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

From looking at that:

Wide variety of goals, which is good. Good shot, quick release, good at acting as the garbage man in front of the net.
Good skater. Good speed, solid on his feet.
Some fairly good passes in there as well.
Strong.
Apparently plays on the PK.
Could wish for him to carry the puck a bit more, but as a straight up winger, that's not to be expected.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
omg what is going on with the ice surface? :laugh: Starting at 1:30.

Not every league has TV timeouts.;)

That's what the ice looks like in a good game, even in a low level league, at the end of a period without TV timeouts. Which is why I think it's ridiculous when people complain about them.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
omg what is going on with the ice surface? :laugh: Starting at 1:30.

Not every league has TV timeouts.;)

That's what the ice looks like in a good game, even in a low level league, at the end of a period without TV timeouts. Which is why I think it's ridiculous when people complain about them.

The ice is painted pink as part of a breast cancer awareness program, methinks.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I should post a streamable of extended videos of Cedar Rapids goals. It's pretty funny, their goal song is weird and they turn the arena lights way down and have spotlights go around. People whip out glowsticks and there's also some dance to go with it where they are throwing their fists in the air.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I should post a streamable of extended videos of Cedar Rapids goals. It's pretty funny, their goal song is weird and they turn the arena lights way down and have spotlights go around. People whip out glowsticks and there's also some dance to go with it where they are throwing their fists in the air.
The goal song is Arena by Con Bro Chill. It is a song they introduced back in 2010 after the organization had complaints about the "Hey" song. In the video, the group pumps their fist in the air. The crowd has taken this on as well. Yes CR does knock the lights out after a home goal, and yes the ice is painted pink for Breast Cancer awareness.

Back to Foley. ...great kid who always referred to me as Mr. Herbst in any conversation we had, and plain and simple no kid will out work him. Blue collar player who has a huge upside.

Last edited:

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
From that video he looks pretty good. Loves the high slot. Very good release, nice shot, has some speed and isn't afraid to go to the net.

Could turn into a bit of a sniper.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
For all of Foley's physical tools and attributes, what might be most impressive his engine and work ethic. The Mansfield, Mass. native is always on the move and is a tireless forechecker. "He just shows up to play everyday. I never had to get on him to play harder," said Carlson. "He competes his tail off every day. His drive and passion comes through a lot."

"I'm definitely a guy who has to work down low. I'm not really a skilled guy. I work below the goal line. That's where my bread and butter is. I like grinding down low and getting pucks out in front," said Foley. Foley's drive helps him win puck battles and keep possession of the puck around the net front and along the boards in the offensive zone. "He's so good at puck protection. He plays well down low, goes to the net. He's relentless with and without the puck," said Carlson.

His speed will surprise some observers, but his ability to turn on the jets and close in on pucks is something that really stands out when watching him. "His speed and skill are just so good. He scored a lot of big goals and big assists for us," Carlson said. "I think my speed and my strength is one of my big assets of my game," added Foley.

Foley will bring his talents to Providence College in the fall where he will play for head coach Nate Leaman and the defending NCAA Champion Friars.

continued: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2015/6/26/8847639/2015-nhl-draft-prospect-erik-foley-cedar-rapids-roughriders-ushl-providence-recruit-mark-carlson

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
That description reminds me a lot of what people thought of Kendall McArdle when he was up and coming. I suspect the biggest difference would be Foley's NHL calibre shot and an ability to find the net whereas McArdle had stone hands a la Ray Neufeld.

The comparisons between Foley and McArdle are interesting though if you look at it:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/kenndal_mcardle/

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2015/6/26/8847639/2015-nhl-draft-prospect-erik-foley-cedar-rapids-roughriders-ushl-providence-recruit-mark-carlson

jetkarma*

Some snippets , some still seem to under value the pick and player a lot imo .

He said he talked to the Jets two or three times leading up to the draft. “I knew they liked me,’’ he said.

Foley is just under six feet tall and weighs 185. He was among the highest scorers in the bench press, pull-ups and vertical jump at the NHL Draft Combine.

He comes from an athletic family. His brother, Bruce Burley, was a star running back at Bridgewater State and holds the school’s single-game rushing record – 292 yards against Worcester State in 2008

His brother was a big time talent in HS and had several offers from major college programs like Ohio State and Michigan but was unable to meet to academic qualifications for that opportunity . Erik has said it was a motivating factor for him to do well in school and be able to take advantage of what has just occurred.

He's from Mansfield which I know quite well , it borders along side Foxboro much like St.Vital and Ft. Gary . My sister has lived there for over 25 years and it's a great area , half way between Boston and Providence , so he's going to play really close to home for the next few years .

http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150627/SPORTS/150629362

Third Round No. 78: LW Erik Foley: our favorite post-second round sleeper in the draft (we wrote about him extensively), a top-line talent who plays with the tenacity of a third liner and has 30-goal upside. http://www.providencejournal.com/article/20150627/SPORTS/150629362

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I have to say during the draft this was the one pick of the first 5 that I wasn't excited about and to be honest didn't like very much but the more I read about him the more he grows on me.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I have a feeling that Foley will eventually make the Jets. He has one thing that cannot be measured by Corsi.....heart. His training results are outstanding, he is known to be a fierce competitor with a family background in athletics.

Foley will make the Jets. You heard it here!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I have a feeling that Foley will eventually make the Jets. He has one thing that cannot be measured by Corsi.....heart. His training results are outstanding, he is known to be a fierce competitor with a family background in athletics.

This is under he assumption that Foley would have poor Corsi results which I don't think he would.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This is under he assumption that Foley would have poor Corsi results which I don't think he would.

It doesn't matter whether a player is driven by pure talent or by so called 'heart'. If he plays well it shows in the statistics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad