Winnipeg Jets select LW Erik Foley (3/17)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
You're American? You're playing in the USHL? You're played at the WJC-18?

WINNIPEG JETS ARE GONNA DRAFT THE **** OUT OF YOU!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Swing and a miss. We seem to have love affair with these agitator types at junior like Lipon, Lemieux, Foley but we have no need for them at NHL level since we've never signed anything close to one. I don't think Foley will end up getting a contract out of college, my limited viewings he was really meh.
Of the first 5 Jets picks, this is the only one that I am not really happy about, for exactly the reasons you mention.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Swing and a miss. We seem to have love affair with these agitator types at junior like Lipon, Lemieux, Foley but we have no need for them at NHL level since we've never signed anything close to one. I don't think Foley will end up getting a contract out of college, my limited viewings he was really meh.

Some scouts see quite a bit of talent and upside with Foley.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

...just as some did with Lukas Sutter and Lemieux, both of whom were high second rounders.
The door is still open for Lemieux and Foley, of course... just not my cup of tea.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
...just as some did with Lukas Sutter and Lemieux, both of whom were high second rounders.
The door is still open for Lemieux and Foley, of course... just not my cup of tea.

The problem with Lemieux and Sutter weren't that there was no chance that they would make the NHL though. It was more that they were picked way too high.

Foley wasn't.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Could be. And I'll admit I have limited viewings. But I am not a fan of him at all. Don't see the offensive or defensive awareness. He's a scrappy guy, but that doesn't contribute #winz as much as talented guy that can play both ends. I just don't see it with him. Not a huge fan of this pick. Don't see NHLer, honestly I don't even see Jets signing him 4 years from now out of college.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
4th round? It was time for D. A lot of good Dmen come out of the 4th/5th rounds.

If a player is going to make a living by playing tough he should have more size. Foley may still grow, or not. I keep hoping one of these agitators becomes Brendan Gallagher. Maybe this one will.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'm a bit "meh" on him.

He needs to develop quite a bit IMO, but he's still got potential.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'm a bit "meh" on him.

He needs to develop quite a bit IMO, but he's still got potential.

Its interesting. NHLEs really like Foley but don't like Spacek, and it sounds like PCS is the opposite.

I'll take it. Overall I really like our first five picks

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

Are you declaring that the Jets are never going to play Lipon, 22 years old, Lemieux, 19 years old, in any NHL games and as well you are proclaiming that Foley, a 17 year old is not getting a contract outa college?

Wow, with limited viewing, you sure seem to have a instinct that most scouts would be in awe of.

Agitator is an ingredient, not a playing style. You can be a goal scorer and an agitator, you can be a defensive player, and an agitator.

Agitator means you like to piss the other team off, and there is nothing wrong with that. Oh, and Lemieux will get a contract with us, and play meaningful minutes with the Jets, this I will bet you on.

jetkarma*

FWIW I'm positive on the pick . He's got a lot of positives and those positives are strong not "ok" he's got those at the high end.

[mod] he's an ascending player imo that will really blossom over the next 2 years .

Last edited by a moderator:

jetkarma*

Its interesting. NHLEs really like Foley but don't like Spacek, and it sounds like PCS is the opposite.

:handclap:

Nice to feel positive after an important draft . Doesn't mean it will unfold perfectly , but we've got more than a little wiggle room here imo .

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
FWIW I'm positive on the pick . He's got a lot of positives and those positives are strong not "ok" he's got those at the high end.

[mod] he's an ascending player imo that will really blossom over the next 2 years .

Very good pick. Very strong on his skates. I like his potential. I see him and Lemiuex
down the road on the same line. Not gonna be fun for the other team going against those guys

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

That has a lot to do with one being a Euro and the other not though, right?

NHLEs have a tough tough time grading most Euros and PCS seems to like Euros that play in the top men's divisions.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Don't we usually judge swings in the now (good ones or bad ones by personal opinion), and hits and misses with the value of hindsight and development 2-4 years down the road?

I do get when people say they like or dislike a pick based on certain reasons, viewings, knowledge or character. But, to deem guys hits or misses on day one doesn't stand the test of reason to me.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I've always been on the soapbox about needing a "3B line", not a goon-like 4th line. We need a line that can be trusted with 12 minutes a night, without being a liability. That way, our first 3 lines aren't worn out by the 3rd period, and we might be able to hold onto a 3rd period lead. Foley+Armia+whomever could be key to winning more games, even if they're "mere 4th liners".

jetkarma*

Very good pick. Very strong on his skates. I like his potential. I see him and Lemiuex
down the road on the same line. Not gonna be fun for the other team going against those guys

Both are LW's essentially .

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I liked his interview. Seemed like a smart kid - leadership, character...all those good things the organization is targeting.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I had Foley ranked in my top 35 at Today's Slapshot: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-draft-2015-final-player-rankings/

The kid is a Cheveldayoff-type player through and through -- he can skate, he's tough, he plays two-ways and he has an NHL caliber shot. His puck skills are not elite, but Foley to me will be a 2nd liner, 2nd unit PK & PP guy who can top 25 goals and 50 pts at the NHL level while playing a complete and physical game.

Honestly, Foley might have been my favorite pick of the entire 3rd round. And while we're at t, Spacek was one of my favorites in the fourth.

Cheveldayoff has a calm about his philosophies in the draft & trade markets. He lets the other GMs freak out and reach for pipe dreams and then he just takes good player after good player. Drafting 17th the Jets had no chance to top the drafts of Edmonton and Buffalo, both of whom drafted generational talents. But is there a top five better than Connor/Roslovic/Harkins/Foley/Spacek? I would say no.

And it that sense, the Jets won this draft.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I had Foley ranked in my top 35 at Today's Slapshot: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-draft-2015-final-player-rankings/

The kid is a Cheveldayoff-type player through and through -- he can skate, he's tough, he plays two-ways and he has an NHL caliber shot. His puck skills are not elite, but Foley to me will be a 2nd liner, 2nd unit PK & PP guy who can top 25 goals and 50 pts at the NHL level while playing a complete and physical game.

Honestly, Foley might have been my favorite pick of the entire 3rd round. And while we're at t, Spacek was one of my favorites in the fourth.

Cheveldayoff has a calm about his philosophies in the draft & trade markets. He lets the other GMs freak out and reach for pipe dreams and then he just takes good player after good player. Drafting 17th the Jets had no chance to top the drafts of Edmonton and Buffalo, both of whom drafted generational talents. But is there a top five better than Connor/Roslovic/Harkins/Foley/Spacek? I would say no.

And it that sense, the Jets won this draft.

This post made my day Steven.

If possible, could you give us some player comparisons for the Jets picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad