Winnipeg Jets select LW Erik Foley (3/17)

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
For me Foley has been the one draft pick of our from this year that hasn't been getting much attention because of our other 4 top 5 picks but he is staring to grow on me.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
For me Foly has been the one draft pick of our from this year that hasn't been getting much attention because of our other 4 top 5 picks but he is staring to grow on me.

I think he warrants more attention than Spacek that's for sure, and I like Spacek.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
It's funny, cause I'm usually a big believer in fancy stats, but I really like Foley.

Not really fancy stats in saying that players that make the NHL tend to score more than Foley does.

That said you have to remember that stats do not make decisions/evaluations for you but give information to allow you to make better decisions/evaluations.

For low scoring players like Foley, you ask some questions:
* was his low scoring due to factors outside of his ability
* do you see him developing into a player that can score
* what is it that separates him from the players who scored like him
* what other skills does he carry other than those that impact scoring and how much should those be valued

Myself, I always thought that Foley, much like Poolman, has the skill that I could see them being exceptions to their odds. They have the tools that separates them from players that score at their pace for their age and can see them scoring more in the future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not really fancy stats in saying that players that make the NHL tend to score more than Foley does.

That said you have to remember that stats do not make decisions/evaluations for you but give information to allow you to make better decisions/evaluations.

* what other skills does he carry other than those that impact scoring and how much should those be valued

Myself, I always thought that Foley, much like Poolman, has the skill that I could see them being exceptions to their odds. They have the tools that separates them from players that score at their pace for their age and can see them scoring more in the future.

I agree. In Foley's case, one might also consider the team performance, and where he stands within the team. He led his team in points, and was second in points/game. The only other two forwards close to him were are 2 and 3 years older than him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

With our new setup foleY still looks pretty decent from a scoring perspective. 20% success rate of similar scoring similar height drafted USHL players. Sample size of about 23 I believe.

This should correct for the favorable USHL NHLE we had that bumped him to over 30% originally.

Maybe not a "steal" but definitely proper value for his round

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Well, stats in general then.:p:

With our new setup foleY still looks pretty decent from a scoring perspective. 20% success rate of similar scoring similar height drafted USHL players. Sample size of about 23 I believe.

This should correct for the favorable USHL NHLE we had that bumped him to over 30% originally.

Maybe not a "steal" but definitely proper value for his round

How does Connor look with the new setup?

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Well, stats in general then.:p:

How does Connor look with the new setup?

Still amazing. Only comp to score within .1 ppg in their draft year out of the USHL and is the same height is Paul statsney.

If you increase that to .5 ppg its 70% with 3 elites, 3 first liners, and 1 third liner. Note: in this data set Connor is still the highest scoring.

Paul statsney is almost identical to connor for DY production in terms of scoring age and height.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He did ok at Providence College. 19 points in 36 games as a rookie. Interesting to note that the Jets offered a contract to Brandon Tanev, his teammate at Providence, although Tanev is nearly 6 years older.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I believe he had a better 2 nd half to the season. Next year I am hoping to see him make a big jump in his development. His team had 5/6 graduations to their forward group. He should get more ice time and opportunities.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I believe he had a better 2 nd half to the season. Next year I am hoping to see him make a big jump in his development. His team had 5/6 graduations to their forward group. He should get more ice time and opportunities.

He had a concussion early in the season. I think it had an effect on how his year went.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
He'll never be a big time point producer but I can see him doubling his points next season on a top line in Providence.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Providence is more D-fence system orientated and big points are hard to come by. I like his moxy and style...... I am hoping he continues to develope and we end up with Ward/ Lowery/Ott. Type of player in 2-3 years.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Solid year for Foley, probably exceeded expectations for a 3rd round pick slightly. Would like to see him in a bigger role next season with Jankowski turning pro

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bit of an update. Foley has been at the National Junior Evaluation Camp, auditioning for a roster spot for the WJCs in January. Sounds like he's turning heads and making a strong impression.

http://m.thn.com/blog/jets-pick-erik-foley-is-turning-heads-with-team-usa/

Has he grown? Everywhere I find him listed as 6', 185.

“Foley again was a real bright spot,” said coach Bob Motzko. “He’s a big body, plays a north-south game and gets the puck deep in the zone. He’s a big, strong athlete, so he can stay out there and not lose a lot of energy. He deserved to be out there, he’s been playing real well.”

Or does he just play bigger than he is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad