Winnipeg Jets select LW Erik Foley (3/17)

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Has he grown? Everywhere I find him listed as 6', 185.
Or does he just play bigger than he is?

I don't have concrete evidence but I looked into this because I wondered the same thing. It seems to me that he's gained some weight since being drafted but I also feel he isn't exactly as tall as we think. He's probably closer to 5'10 than 6 feet. His actual dimensions could be somewhere around 5'10/5'11 and 195/200lbs which is fairly solid like Tootoo/Downie/Shaw/Marchand or Tocchet if we go old school.

By "big body" I think his coach meant think, strong, physical and lean. I also consider that being close to 200lbs is pretty big for the NCAA, so maybe his coach overrated his size based on what he's used to seeing. The NCAA iis probably the most undersized Amateur league in North America.

My projections and guesses aside, I think the answer is "yes" to your second question. I think he definitly plays bigger than his size based on my (limited) viewings and from reading his scouting reports. I'm happy the Jets have these offensive, physical pest types in the system to compliment the skill guys. If only one of Foley, Kosmachuk, Dano, Lemieux, and Lipon becomes a top-6 superpest like Marchand/Gallagher then the Jets are going to be extremely hard to play against. These players compliment the skilled superstars, draw penalties, frusterate the opposing players, and wear down the opposing defenders. With 5 legitimate prospects that fit this archetype in the system, I like the chances of the Jets developing this type of player.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Our #17 prospect ?!?

I don't think there is a huge difference between our #7 Armia and our #17 Foley. Armia is close to his ceiling and has shown only a few flashes of top-6 potential in the NHL. Foley is very unproven but could drastically increase his stock with a star performance in the WJC and at Providence where he will get a huge boost in icetime on a well run team.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Foley had a huge D camp in 2016 playing on a line with Roslovic. He followed that up with a good year in College increasing his # s and taking a leadership role with Providence.

I hope the Jets have him on a line and doing rushes with Connor and Rozlo creating a bond at camp this year amongst the 3 of them.

I always thought that they should sign him for this year and play him with Rozlo in the A.H.L.

He will be using the 1 st year of a 3 year E.L.C if he signs now or in March after his 3 rd college season. I think he would advance his game more with the Moose than going back to college. (Just like Rozlo did last year).

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
But he can't accelerate his scholastic degree in the AHL. If he stands a good shot of playing in the NHL, it would make more sense for him to pull out early. However, most players taken after the third round are general long shots to play in the NHL, so their best bet is to bank on the future as well as the present. Poolman accelerated his degree and will finish it this summer after only 3 years of NCAA. Foley can do the same. Three years of ELC or two years of ELC doesn't really mean much in the context of anything if he's not going to be playing in the NHL.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If he plays his 3 rd year in College and signs in March and plays the end of the season on the Jets taxi squad..... He will make the same $ as if he plays this up coming season on the Moose. He would also get his 3rd year of schooling in.

On the other hand Rozlo decision to play for the Moose last year has paid off for him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he plays his 3 rd year in College and signs in March and plays the end of the season on the Jets taxi squad..... He will make the same $ as if he plays this up coming season on the Moose. He would also get his 3rd year of schooling in.

On the other hand Rozlo decision to play for the Moose last year has paid off for him.

True but they have very different pedigree. If Foley fits in to the Jets plans one day that would be a huge bonus but for now I agree stay in school and get the accelerated degree.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Not really. The only thing that would be the same amount of money is any potential signing bonus. Players are paid bi-monthly, so his cap hit would be the same, but he wouldn't earn the same money as if he played the entire season.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Not really. The only thing that would be the same amount of money is any potential signing bonus. Players are paid bi-monthly, so his cap hit would be the same, but he wouldn't earn the same money as if he played the entire season.

[mod]

-Same signing bonus = $92.5 k

- 1 year on the Moose @ 70k = 840 k basic N.H.L. salary pro rated approx 1/12 for being on the roster in the N.H.L for 2 weeks at the end of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
[mod]

-Same signing bonus = $92.5 k

- 1 year on the Moose @ 70k = 840 k basic N.H.L. salary pro rated approx 1/12 for being on the roster in the N.H.L for 2 weeks at the end of the season.

I see. You're putting him in the NHL towards the end of next season, and saying that is essentially the same amount of money he'd be making in the AHL all season. I had forgotten about that part.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When they talked to him today he said he was going back for his junior year.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Looks like Erik Foley is having a great college year with his team. Mike McIntyre was on Illegal Curve today and speculated we may even see him with the Moose if the Jets sign him after his season is done.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Looks like Erik Foley is having a great college year with his team. Mike McIntyre was on Illegal Curve today and speculated we may even see him with the Moose if the Jets may even sign him after his season is done.

Many here have been speculating the same thing since the summer.Getting a playoff run with the Moose would be a great beginning to a pro career

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That would be a hefty Moose team if we could get him and maybe Suess for a playoff run.

Petan-Roslo-Appleton
Foley-Sgarbossa-Robinson
Lemieux-Suess-Lipon
De Leo-Cormier-Spacek

Niku-Poolman
Schilling-Stoykewych
Melchiori-Gotovets

That Suess line would wreak havoc. All energy.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That would be a hefty Moose team if we could get him and maybe Suess for a playoff run.

Petan-Roslo-Appleton
Foley-Sgarbossa-Robinson
Lemieux-Suess-Lipon
De Leo-Cormier-Spacek

Niku-Poolman
Schilling-Stoykewych
Melchiori-Gotovets

That Suess line would wreak havoc. All energy.

I think you should plan on Poolman and Roslovic being with the Jets for their playoff run. :laugh:

I think it is possible that Kovacevic is available for the Moose as well as Foley and Suess.

I wonder if it becomes necessary to give Suess some # of NHL games in order to entice him to sign?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Foley is really impressive as a third rounder and was a bit of a faller I recall.

AS 2015 was deepest draft in a loooong time, Any chance he could have been a late first rounder in a regular draft?

Suspect he gets signed this year or traded and may be deadline fodder.
Could probably land the jets a real gem of a rental.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Foley is really impressive as a third rounder and was a bit of a faller I recall.

AS 2015 was deepest draft in a loooong time, Any chance he could have been a late first rounder in a regular draft?

Suspect he gets signed this year or traded and may be deadline fodder.
Could probably land the jets a real gem of a rental.
I remember development camp in 2016 and Roslovic and Foley were very impressive in terms of their pace of play and board work. I think the development of a player like Foley will make a player like Petan much more expendable. Foley looks like a good candidate to play a heavy and skilled game in the bottom 6.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I remember development camp in 2016 and Roslovic and Foley were very impressive in terms of their pace of play and board work. I think the development of a player like Foley will make a player like Petan much more expendable. Foley looks like a good candidate to play a heavy and skilled game in the bottom 6.

Is it just me or is anybody else overwhelmed and annoyed by how much skill we have on the wing... We have Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Perreault, Roslovic, Vesalainen, Lemiuex, Armia, Petan and now this guy is trying to get in the conversation... Give us a rest you damn Wingers...

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Is it just me or is anybody else overwhelmed and annoyed by how much skill we have on the wing... We have Wheeler, Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Perreault, Roslovic, Vesalainen, Lemiuex, Armia, Petan and now this guy is trying to get in the conversation... Give us a rest you damn Wingers...

You forgot Appleton.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
NEVER give us a rest. All your good young wingers are belong to us.

I have actually thought about the possibility of using guys like Foley and Suess as trade baits at the deadline/draft. There is a significant chance of them refraining from signing due to this incredible W depth of ours, but losing those guys for nothing is really not an option for a team that struggles to attract talent by other means (= f***ing NTCs).

I wouldn't be too upset if we lost some asset value by trading these college kids before losing their rights for nothing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
NEVER give us a rest. All your good young wingers are belong to us.

I have actually thought about the possibility of using guys like Foley and Suess as trade baits at the deadline/draft. There is a significant chance of them refraining from signing due to this incredible W depth of ours, but losing those guys for nothing is really not an option for a team that struggles to attract talent by other means (= ****ing NTCs).

I wouldn't be too upset if we lost some asset value by trading these college kids before losing their rights for nothing.

Suess is the only one I would worry about at this point. He can be a FA this summer and he is old for that position, more than 3 years older than Foley. He turns 24 in about 3 weeks. He needs to go someplace where he can play in the NHL next year. Florida, maybe, or Edmonton?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Suess is the only one I would worry about at this point. He can be a FA this summer and he is old for that position, more than 3 years older than Foley. He turns 24 in about 3 weeks. He needs to go someplace where he can play in the NHL next year. Florida, maybe, or Edmonton?
Calgary in the add with Petan and Dano for Rasmuss?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad