Winnipeg Jets select LW Erik Foley (3/17)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I had Foley ranked in my top 35 at Today's Slapshot: http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-prospects-2/nhl-draft-2015-final-player-rankings/

The kid is a Cheveldayoff-type player through and through -- he can skate, he's tough, he plays two-ways and he has an NHL caliber shot. His puck skills are not elite, but Foley to me will be a 2nd liner, 2nd unit PK & PP guy who can top 25 goals and 50 pts at the NHL level while playing a complete and physical game.

Honestly, Foley might have been my favorite pick of the entire 3rd round. And while we're at t, Spacek was one of my favorites in the fourth.

Cheveldayoff has a calm about his philosophies in the draft & trade markets. He lets the other GMs freak out and reach for pipe dreams and then he just takes good player after good player. Drafting 17th the Jets had no chance to top the drafts of Edmonton and Buffalo, both of whom drafted generational talents. But is there a top five better than Connor/Roslovic/Harkins/Foley/Spacek? I would say no.

And it that sense, the Jets won this draft.

More please :laugh:

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I dont get where he is being labeled as an agitator. I watched him all year long and never saw this out of him.

My scouting report on Erik is: High character kid with extremely high work ethic. He is a physical specimen for his size and is strong as an ox. Underated skill and shot. He has an NHL release. I have never seen a kid go harder to the net then Foley in my nearly decade of watching the USHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I dont get where he is being labeled as an agitator. I watched him all year long and never saw this out of him.

My scouting report on Erik is: High character kid with extremely high work ethic. He is a physical specimen for his size and is strong as an ox. Underated skill and shot. He has an NHL release. I have never seen a kid go harder to the net then Foley in my nearly decade of watching the USHL.

Thanks for the report. It's very encouraging, and more complete than "limit viewing" scouting reports.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Looks like he's got very decent wheels, is not afraid to go to the net, and has a good release on his shot. Solid too: check out the play where he's about to get hit in the NZ, and he solidly levels the player attempting to hit him.

Intriguing pick.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Looks like he's got very decent wheels, is not afraid to go to the net, and has a good release on his shot. Solid too: check out the play where he's about to get hit in the NZ, and he solidly levels the player attempting to hit him.

Intriguing pick.

Good hands around the net as well.

Reminds me of Jake Virtanen. I should probably alert the Canucks fans.:sarcasm:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Yeah, I didn't understand the hate for the pick either when most scouting reports also state he's a great skater and great shooter. Lead his team in points, but some seem to be drawing more conclusions by purely looking at PIMS.

Also thank you for dropping by with the report on him, people who have watched these players a lot are invaluable.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Okay after reading more about him and seeing him in action, I'm also quite happy with the pick. He looks very, very strong physically while being fast and having a good, accurate shot.

Is it just me or does he look like AHL ready already? He'll only just turned 18 come training camp which makes it even more astonishing.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Okay after reading more about him and seeing him in action, I'm also quite happy with the pick. He looks very, very strong physically while being fast and having a good, accurate shot.

Is it just me or does he look like AHL ready already? He'll only just turned 18 come training camp which makes it even more astonishing.

It's good that he's going to the NCAA instead of the CHL as we can see him against bigger stronger players earlier and we could pull him into the AHL earlier as well.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
It's good that he's going to the NCAA instead of the CHL as we can see him against bigger stronger players earlier and we could pull him into the AHL earlier as well.

Makes sense. I guess he would be pretty bored physically playing against CHL bodies.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the clip! After watching that, Foley reminds me of a poor man's Kane (not for that reason). He has high end speed, a great release and appears to be very strong on his skates. This kid will be fun to watch develop further.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Aside from his PIM, see below
Yeah, I didn't understand the hate for the pick either when most scouting reports also state he's a great skater and great shooter.
I am more in the meh camp and certainly didn't hate it, but since few others were taking a contrarian stand, I voted "didn't like the pick". Here is why:
I had made a pre-draft list of 50 desirable players (outside of the top-8) based on a variety of sources. The following players, who were selected after Foley, were on the list:
Thomas Novak, Jens Looke>>offensive skill, top 9 potential
Nicolas Roy, Adam Musil>>2-way player with size, bottom 6 potential
When Foley was taken before them, I rechecked his profile, but remain unconvinced.

To his credit, Foley seems like a great kid with leadership traits and some scoring ability, which no doubt made him attractive to the Jets. But I am dubious about whether he has either the size to be an effective grinder in the NHL or the skill+ defensive acumen to make him a top 9 option.

From Curtis Joe at Elite Prospects:
An offensive winger who knows how to take opposing players out of the play. Can play an agitative game, but is at his best when recognizing opportunities and taking advantage of them. A good skater who has the right amount of skill to do what he can to help his team every night; on the other hand, does not possess the biggest body, so can be ineffective in his role at times.

From Foley himself:
"I'm definitely a guy who has to work down low. I'm not really a skilled guy. I work below the goal line. That's where my bread and butter is. I like grinding down low and getting pucks out in front," said Foley.

At #78, the odds of playing 200 NHL games are already poor, so I was looking specifically for either under-appreciated offensive skill in a smaller frame (eg Spacek) or a smart, two-way player, in a bigger body.
No one can be certain at this early stage, but I am doubtful Foley's package will translate to the NHL. Of course, I hope I am wrong!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Aside from his PIM, see below

I am more in the meh camp and certainly didn't hate it, but since few others were taking a contrarian stand, I voted "didn't like the pick". Here is why:
I had made a pre-draft list of 50 desirable players (outside of the top-8) based on a variety of sources. The following players, who were selected after Foley, were on the list:
Thomas Novak, Jens Looke>>offensive skill, top 9 potential
Nicolas Roy, Adam Musil>>2-way player with size, bottom 6 potential
When Foley was taken before them, I rechecked his profile, but remain unconvinced.

To his credit, Foley seems like a great kid with leadership traits and some scoring ability, which no doubt made him attractive to the Jets. But I am dubious about whether he has either the size to be an effective grinder in the NHL or the skill+ defensive acumen to make him a top 9 option.

From Curtis Joe at Elite Prospects:
An offensive winger who knows how to take opposing players out of the play. Can play an agitative game, but is at his best when recognizing opportunities and taking advantage of them. A good skater who has the right amount of skill to do what he can to help his team every night; on the other hand, does not possess the biggest body, so can be ineffective in his role at times.

From Foley himself:
"I'm definitely a guy who has to work down low. I'm not really a skilled guy. I work below the goal line. That's where my bread and butter is. I like grinding down low and getting pucks out in front," said Foley.

At #78, the odds of playing 200 NHL games are already poor, so I was looking specifically for either under-appreciated offensive skill in a smaller frame (eg Spacek) or a smart, two-way player, in a bigger body.
No one can be certain at this early stage, but I am doubtful Foley's package will translate to the NHL. Of course, I hope I am wrong!

I think it's kind of funny though that you mention Musil and Roy because I actually think Foley has better offensive talents than them. Plus I think he's better than Novak too, who I think benefited a lot from Boeser.

Personally I wanted Vande Sompel, but I'm not going to discount Foley's abilities either. He put up the offensive numbers and he looked good doing it, personally I don't see the problem.

I'd rather a guy say he doesn't play a skill game only for him to play one and put in the offense rather than a guy claim he plays a skill game and not put up offense.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think it's kind of funny though that you mention Musil and Roy because I actually think Foley has better offensive talents than them. Plus I think he's better than Novak too, who I think benefited a lot from Boeser.

Personally I wanted Vande Sompel, but I'm not going to discount Foley's abilities either. He put up the offensive numbers and he looked good doing it, personally I don't see the problem.

I'd rather a guy say he doesn't play a skill game only for him to play one and put in the offense rather than a guy claim he plays a skill game and not put up offense.

You might have missed my point. He might have better offensive talent than Musil and Roy, but none of them are great talents offensively. Given that, I felt he lacked the defensive acumen/two way game and size that he needed to succeed at the NHL level.
But you could well be right...I am just providing a counterpoint for consideration.

Also, I am hurt that while you were writing your rebuttal, I was supporting you on another thread....:(
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104473559&postcount=245

;)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
You might have missed my point. He might have better offensive talent than Musil and Roy, but none of them are great talents offensively. Given that, I felt he lacked the defensive acumen/two way game and size that he needed to succeed at the NHL level.
But you could well be right...I am just providing a counterpoint for consideration.

Also, I am hurt that while you were writing your rebuttal, I was supporting you on another thread....:(
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=104473559&postcount=245

;)

I have wronged the universe.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103174105&postcount=487

Erik Foley

Offensive zone ability: B-
Offensive transition ability: B-
Puck movement and possession retention: B-
Defensive transition ability: C+
Defensive zone ability: C

Defense: positional
Offense: mixed

Keywords, unique identity traits: a mid-sized wing, scoring instincts and release, engaging in offensive zone, skating ability and can handle the puck at top speed, good skill-level
Room for improvement: could improve in some off-the-puck defensive aspects, defensive intensity level is not the same as offensive intensity, could use his stick more to cover lanes in his own zone, needs to fill out

Full analysis:
Erik Foley is a mid-sized (should fill out) winger that plays at a high pace both in his thinking capacity as well as skating/compete level. Keeps his head up and tracks the play in all zones anticipating the next play. Skating ability is there. Loves to get involved deep in the offensive zone, active stick on the wall, digs for pucks. Has decent hands and ability to cut and throw off checkers. Willing to go to the net. Quick release and looks for openings to get his shot off. Has the ability to move his feet and handle the puck at the same time which makes it hard to stop him. Scoring instincts. Defense is a bit raw. Positionally aware, but intensity level differs from offensive zone to neutral zone and his own zone. Not deficient but more room in being an active presence in neutral zone and involved with his stick and control of space.

In the offensive zone Foley both reads the play at a high pace but also executes with a pretty nice motor. Is a high tempo player. Can get involved from the dots to below the goal-line, digs out loose pucks, and looks to create in that area. Compete level and intensity of play is high there, won't destroy people with hits, but looks to get consistently involved by jumping on pucks and getting open for his shot. Has good skill level, agility with cuts and can buy time for his team. Capable of extending zone time and maintaining posession, not a one and done player. Has scoring instincts and quick release.

Through transition, he has good speed. Has the ability to both move his feet and stickhandle at the same time. Lateral agility with crossovers and can change angles of attack. Does his job as a winger well in bringing the puck up the ice and gaining entry. His shot and skating ability should allow for some off-the-rush scoring chances.

In defensive transition he is quite engaged if the opposition hasn't established full control. Will get involved from the faceoff dots up to below the goal-line area, and attacks loose pucks there. In the neutral zone, he is positionally aware and tracks the play but could stand to be a bit more engaging and with a more active stick. Backchecking is a work in progress, won't ignore assignments but intensity is not the same as in other areas.

In his own zone, he plays his position and won't pre-maturely exit the zone. Will compete if there's a battle. Stick is not as active as it could be and intensity level is lower than with the puck in the offensive zone. Not deficient, but doesn't offer any added value right now.

Overall, I like Foley as a middle six winger that plays an up-tempo game and has a nice release. Good skating ability, does have skill and can make plays. Needs to fill out frame but protects the puck decently well. Compete level is not an issue at all, will be engaged in the offensive zone but defensively needs to polish some things out.

Development focus: I'd say for Foley I would like to see him improve in some off-the-puck defensive aspects. I think he could be a bit more engaging in neutral zone, could be a bit more intense on the back-check. And could utilize his stick better to cover lanes in his own zone.

Projection: I'd say Foley's potential is a middle six winger, probably closer to a 3rd line. Mid-sized once he fills out, has skill and can make plays, quick release and scoring instincts. Active and engaged and there is a bit of peskiness to him from the faceoff dots up to beneath the goal-line area. Skating ability and can handle the puck while changing angles. Has PP qualities.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Foley sounds like he could become a very strong 4th line winger. Good teams need that, too.

jetkarma*

Foley sounds like he could become a very strong 4th line winger. Good teams need that, too.

He also could become a good third line player . But yes , a very strong 4th liner on a team that gives enough time to that line is not a bad thing .

He's got more upside than that and has the drive required to see if that can be realized .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He also could become a good third line player . But yes , a very strong 4th liner on a team that gives enough time to that line is not a bad thing .

He's got more upside than that and has the drive required to see if that can be realized .

If he can be a solid 3rd liner, so much the better!

Andrew Shaw 2.0.... :handclap:

jetkarma*

Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeth View Post
Seems to me if Foley were two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier he'd be a lock to go in the 2nd round. I think someone is going to get a steal with him in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm a big fan of him. We have him ranked 41st overall. I wouldn't bet big $ on it, but also won't be shocked at all if he goes in the 2nd round.

Just mentioned him today in an interview as a player I like, that we might look back on as being a steal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Mark Edwards
First Round Scouting

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeth View Post
Seems to me if Foley were two inches taller and 20 pounds heavier he'd be a lock to go in the 2nd round. I think someone is going to get a steal with him in the 3rd or 4th round.

I'm a big fan of him. We have him ranked 41st overall. I wouldn't bet big $ on it, but also won't be shocked at all if he goes in the 2nd round.

Just mentioned him today in an interview as a player I like, that we might look back on as being a steal.

Edwards and his group tend to favour skill. They had Ehlers ranked at #4 and Connor at #5 or #6. The Jets seem to track with them somewhat in terms of rankings.

jetkarma*

Edwards and his group tend to favour skill. They had Ehlers ranked at #4 and Connor at #5 or #6. The Jets seem to track with them somewhat in terms of rankings.

I've been looking for his post where he took some questions on the meaurables for players at the combine but can't find it .

He gave official heights , weights , and other combine results . Be good if we were able to post those either in each picks thread or in a separate one .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad