Value of: Winners and Losers in the Expansion Draft

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Nashville is easily the biggest loser. We lost the best player in the draft in an unforced error by the GM of the Year. But thank god that we still have our undersized 3C... :shakehead

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I am still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened, but I am going with Vegas as the biggest loser. I think they made some bad choices. I thought they were going to have a pretty good and balanced D but they took barely any of the D I thought they would take.

It almost seems like half the team is just meant to be traded at the trade deadline. I still can't believe they didn't grab some of the D that was available, the trades they made to not pick some of those guys would not have been good enough for me.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Suppose this can be done in many ways, but despite paying a 2nd to let Vegas draft one of the best players they now have, I think Pens realistically improved compared to virtually any genuine contender.

What we lost we needed to lose for cap reasons anyway, and while without the ED we could have gotten something for Fleury, in this situation JR made sure not to lose any players we didn't want to and set himself up with more cap-flexibility than most any other top teams.

Feels like a win looking at Nashville, Caps, Anaheim and Ottawa to look at a few.

Last edited:

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Well when one GM bones half the league in one night, they may not want to be nice. I guess I was just thinking that Vegas thinks everyone will be chomping at the bit for some of their guys. But in reality they have a bunch of old Dmen on expiring deals, or under performing youngsters, or forwards on bad deals, and no one will want to pay a premium for that.

So as a new team, I'd have to imagine they don't want a max payroll right away and will need to clear space. But when half the league is annoyed by you and the others aren't really big on those players, prices won't be driven up, therefore blowing up McPhees plan of acquiring tons of Dmen and flipping em for great value.

I don't think he boned anyone. If he was going to bone them he would've shut off all communication and put the word out that he was taking the best player on every list and let the other GMs put out their fires. Instead he sat at the bargaining table and hammered out deals that were beneficial to everyone. Last night most of the comments I read were that McPhee was too soft and accommodating, which wasn't his intention anyways but the point is I don't think there's anything to say he screwed anyone.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Colorado - I'm not sure they protected the right goalie. Pickard is the right age for a rebuilding team and he looks like he could be a solid starter behind a better team.

Florida - I don't know how you replace all those goals you just lost

Washington - All depends on if they lose Alzner and Shattenkirk. If they do lose both losing Schmidt will be a huge blow I'm sure he was a guy they believed could step in and eat up some of those minutes. Without all three of them they don't look nearly as dangerous.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened, but I am going with Vegas as the biggest loser. I think they made some bad choices. I thought they were going to have a pretty good and balanced D but they took barely any of the D I thought they would take.

It almost seems like half the team is just meant to be traded at the trade deadline. I still can't believe they didn't grab some of the D that was available, the trades they made to not pick some of those guys would not have been good enough for me.

Too many people see the exposed lists and think that's that, nothing more to it, lemme grab Dumba & CDH & Manson and tell those teams to shove it!

These deals were put in place before lists went it (except Minnesota who struck a deal afterwards) knowing these conditions. They were only exposed because teams were comfortable leaving them exposed as per the arrangements.

Had Vegas decided to build the strongest team possible and reject every proposal, protection lists would have been radically difficult. Much more activity at the trade freeze with GMs trying to find ways to not leave these valuable players exposed, even if it meant trading them at a discount.

Take Anaheim for example - Vatanen & Manson were never going to be selected by Vegas. Vegas plays hardball, Bieksa gets taken care of, Vatanen gets traded for a forward. Now, instead of a young talented defender like Shea Theodore, Vegas is left with Antoine Vermette.

The options were Theodore or someone like Vermette, not Theodore or Manson.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Florida and Anaheim to an extent are losers. I know it could have been worse for Anaheim but losing a valued asset like Theodore for nothing has got to sting. Yes, I know it was to keep Vegas's hands off of Manson and Vatanen but it's still nothing when it boils down it. A team like Anaheim was going to lose no matter what so at least they minimized the damage.

Don't think the Islanders are losers. They lost nothing valuable off their roster and cleared cap space. Still not sure why Pelech was selected over De Haan but meh.

I don't even know some of the guys that Vegas drafted and I'm not just a casual hockey fan and their blueline is horrid so short term they are losers but long term set themselves up nicely.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Me. Instead of just relying on the Twitter leaks, I actually watched that abomination of an Awards show.

1) Whoever that MC was (Magic Mike or something) was an absolute idiot. We know you tried to look and act super hard and show what a hockey fan you are, but you're a dork.

2) All the picks were the same as leaked -- no change.

3) Blasting "How do you like me know" after every segment was pretty damn irritating. Doing it after Brian Bickell's piece just ruined the only segment which appeared to have received any thought or effort.

My brain hurts from watching that ridiculous cheese fest. Thanks Gary B. I will never ever watch that event ever again. Ouch.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
For the local squad, losing Tuch hurts, especially for a team that needs more skilled size. Haula was simply an asset they couldn't afford anymore. He's a good defensive forward, great wheels but not consistent on the offensive end. Wild will miss him...When you compare what Vegas did to the Islanders to hang on to Nelson, etc. Wild getting a conditional 3rd back was incredible IMHO.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Still not sure why Pelech was selected over De Haan but meh.

We're still puzzling over this as well... the only thing that I can think of is that:
a) Pelech figures into the Isles plans for the coming seasons and they felt this would show some confidence in him; and/or
b) DeHaan may not be figuring into the Isles plans and is likely to be moving in the next few days/weeks as part of a package for a forward

Since the protected list was essentially meaningless it really doesn't matter...

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Winners = jets

Everyone in their division lost roster players. Wild lost a good prospect. The jets actually had addition by subtraction in losing Thorburn.

Didn't a rebuilding Jets team drop 11 spots in the first round? I'd say that's a pretty valuable piece.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
We're still puzzling over this as well... the only thing that I can think of is that:
a) Pelech figures into the Isles plans for the coming seasons and they felt this would show some confidence in him; and/or
b) DeHaan may not be figuring into the Isles plans and is likely to be moving in the next few days/weeks as part of a package for a forward

C) Since the protected list was essentially meaningless it really doesn't matter...

A is definitely true, B is likely true, C is the most important takeaway.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Islanders were a win yesterday. Anyone who thinks otherwise, which is apparently many, just dont get it.

Ya from afar I thought it was fine. Basically a 1st rounder to exempt yourself from Vegas shaking your team up and keeping it intact. Sounds fair to me, and I think they're in a place where losing any of the potential guys to be picked would've been significant for them.

Nov 24, 2006
Nashville is easily the biggest loser. We lost the best player in the draft in an unforced error by the GM of the Year. But thank god that we still have our undersized 3C... :shakehead

Don't know the Nashville situation, but I thought James Neal was never a popular team mate? Maybe it's addition by subtraction for the Preds?

To answer the OP, I don't like what Vegas did. I think they're the big loser here. They could have actually got good players (Vatanen, etc), but they opted not to pick them in exchange for BS, magic bean draft picks and bad contracts. I know they need some picks going forward, but man, they looked past a lot of good young players, which is exactly what they HOPE to get with those draft picks.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Non-Isles fan:

'Isles did what?, traded a freaking 1st AND 2nd rounder and got nothing in return??'

Isles fan:

'No, they cleared $5 mil in capspace and kept all their players so they can use them in a big trade for a forw...'

Non-Isles fan:

'Yeah yeah yeah, whatever, too complicated for me to follow, so 'Isles=Big Loser LOL'

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Colorado - I'm not sure they protected the right goalie. Pickard is the right age for a rebuilding team and he looks like he could be a solid starter behind a better team.

Florida - I don't know how you replace all those goals you just lost

Washington - All depends on if they lose Alzner and Shattenkirk. If they do lose both losing Schmidt will be a huge blow I'm sure he was a guy they believed could step in and eat up some of those minutes. Without all three of them they don't look nearly as dangerous.
Colorado - they likely wanted to keep their forwards like Andrighetto and Grigorenko and figured the easiest way to do that was to expose Pickard who would be a better pick for Vegas.

Florida - The big question of this expansion draft for sure. Its unlikely Marchessault repeats his 30g season though so maybe they arent needing to replace all of his goals and Smith was inconsistent (though due for a good season). There's obviously gotta be a trade and a signing to come for them to replace those goals, though it may be more expensive than what they were paying (but maybe more proven/consistent).

Washington - I gotta think they need to re-sign one of those 2 guys now...likely gotta think Shattenkirk (even though it didnt work after they acquired him) as they paid a hefty price to trade for him. Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson and him would be a fine top 4 and Orpik is fine on the 3rd pair and they likely can find another d-man to replace Alzner for cheaper in UFA. They also could trade for one of the d-men that Vegas just selected too.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We got rid of Emelin and didn't even have to compensate Vegas to take him. That is a bad contract we are getting rid of.

Today he is... Last week he was a top 4 hard hitting Dman that every team should trade for. :sarcasm:

IMO the biggest loser is the Vegas Knights.. They could have done much better if they didnt make these side deals. Its a garbage team compared to what these mock teams we were making..

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
It depends on how highly you rate Theodore or Tuch. In the case of Minnesota Haula isn't chopped liver either

Haula was gone either way, we can't afford him. His value to us was whatever we would've got in a trade, probably a second imo. The third we got back is close to making up for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad