Value of: Winners and Losers in the Expansion Draft

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Isn't this the guy who traded Forsberg for Erat?

For the opportunity he had he did a crap job, would've been better off just selecting the best 30 players and flip players afterwards instead of taking any draft picks/prospects

I'm delighted he took Emelin, he might get you a 2nd at the TDL but the most bewildering one has to be Engelland for me

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
winners - the city of LV, hockey fans everywhere

growing the sport is always a good thing, and as a fan, this was exciting.

i thought it played out as i thought it would.

the teams with more depth, were basically in a bind. lose a decent player, or pony up a pick.

LV the team, is looking pretty good, IMO. 3 first round picks this year, and 6 2nd round picks over the next 3 years. 30 picks in the next 3 years, and there will be quite a few more, IMO.

good goaltending, which is the cornerstone of every team. surprisingly good D, not in talent, but in depth. rugged types, who can protect the youngsters coming in over the next 5 years. as well as a few good 'projects'. Miller, Theodore, Schmidt, Merrill, TVR... solid guys that are young and still have a bit of room to grow. 12 NHL defencemen... something will be moving soon, and i'm not talking about my morning bowels.

not much at forward, IMO. a few nice pieces that will likely be trade bait. Neal, Smith, Perron, Shipachyov (needs to show if he can play). maybe they keep Smith and Shippy? a few decent worker-bee types, which are always handy to have. Tuch, 3 1sts and 2 2nds gets their prospect base off to a decent start, but i bet the there will be about 3 more 2017 picks added, from trades.

i predict 3 years of suckage (bottom 5) and then a decent product for about 3-4 years. year 7, they compete. iF... LV proves to be a good destination, then a bit quicker, via decent UFA signings.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Isles the biggest losers by a country mile....giving up a first and a second rounder?....can't think of a single guy on the Islanders not named John Tavares who's worth that....should have just coughed up a guy like Bailey or Nelson and just gone with the flow

Giving up a mid 1st rounder and who knows where the 2nd rounder will be to shed $5 million in salary is a very good deal. The overvaluing of draft picks on hfboards is still insane.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Anaheim,Florida,New York I., Washington, Ottawa

Ducks lost a 21 year old up and coming dman because they coouldnt find the right return for vatanen. florida lost a 30g scorer, so they could dump a contract. The isles gave up a 1st,2nd and prospect to not lose ryan strome/brock nelson? The caps were really hoping vegas took Grubauer.
How is that D core gonna look minus Shattenkirk, Alzner, AND Schmidt?
Ottawa just lost Karlssons crutch. surely they could have tossed a pick or prospect to keep him considering how easy it was for the wild to get out of their predicament ?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Winners, Islanders, got cap space and kept it's roster in tact. Lots of prospects and could afford the price they paid.
Dallas, Carolina Vancouver, Minnesota. All lost nothing, some gained cap space.

Losers, Vegas. Some weird picks, but more trades to come.
Florida and Ottawa......

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
GMGM had better hope he hits a few homeruns in the draft, some of those choices are baffling to say the least. Unless he took some of these players with an understanding that in the future these GMs would scratch his back or some other form of back-alley dirty pool.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Without trading picks, Vegas could've ended up with a solid core of young players who down the line probably could've fetched more than he got to not take them. The biggest ones being Dumba and Nelson.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Without trading picks, Vegas could've ended up with a solid core of young players who down the line probably could've fetched more than he got to not take them. The biggest ones being Dumba and Nelson.

I agree the returns don't seem great to me compared to the assets they could have had. But it's certainly not over yet I don't think we have seen all the moves happen.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I think Vegas did well, they recieved a ton of draft picks, and have a solid enough team to not get embarrassed on a nightly basis.

Solid goaltending with potential (Pickard)
Good D depth
Centers are blah but we already knew that was gonna happen.
Wingers are surprisingly good...

Neal - 20-30 goal guy
Marchessault - 30 goals last year
Perron - Can pot 15-25
Smith - score 20 goals twice
Leipsic/Lindberg/Pulkkinen - Young talented hope one breaks out

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think Vegas did well, they recieved a ton of draft picks, and have a solid enough team to not get embarrassed on a nightly basis.

Solid goaltending with potential (Pickard)
Good D depth
Centers are blah but we already knew that was gonna happen.
Wingers are surprisingly good...

Neal - 20-30 goal guy
Marchessault - 30 goals last year
Perron - Can pot 15-25
Smith - score 20 goals twice
Leipsic/Lindberg/Pulkkinen - Young talented hope one breaks out

Yeah they did fine considering as someone mentioned above, that they have to stock their farm system with legitimate players that might play for them some day. Having the bare minimum number of picks plus a team that still would not make the playoffs wasn't going to help them.

Sure maybe they could have gotten a couple more good players, but Brock Nelson isn't going to net you the 15th overall down the line. Vatanen would, but they still got Shea Theodore and Vatanen probably wasn't actually available. Reilly Smith for a 4th round pick in exchange for "having" to take Marchessault is a move any fan would be gushing over their GM's talents had their team done it.

The team is still worth going to watch if you're in Vegas, and they managed to load up on picks, which should have been one of their main objectives.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The only trade I thought they shouldnt have made was with Minnesota. Otherwise Vegas did well.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I think with some of the prenegotiated deals (mainly Anaheim, I'm sure to some extent some others), you can't fault Vegas for not selecting the best players and taking less in a trade. Using Anaheim as an example, there was a deal in place reported a week plus ago, which is why ANA didn't have to buy out Bieksa. This deal is a win-win, Vegas gets Theodore, ducks keep vatanen and Manson. But let's say this never happened as Vegas hopes to get one of Manson/vatanen:

Anaheim buys out Bieksa, but no way they are going to lose of the d-men for free, so they make a trade with one of the numerous interested parties. Now who does Vegas take? They don't get Vatenan, Manson, or Theodore. Let's not act like Vegas had ALL the control. They would have of teams couldn't have made trades last week, but that wasn't the case. I think Vegas had to settle for smaller returns to prevent teams from trading away unprotected players.

I guess you could have a deal in place and then say "screw you" and take the best player anyway, but I imagine that would have terrible repercussions long term.

All depends who the player they get back from any trades is. Will they need protecting over a current roster player? Also weakens Ana if they have to move a dman out.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
So Vegas has all of these players but now they don't have any leverage. Ya they have decent players on ok contracts, but if teams wanted to sit back and let them sweat, Vegas could have just ****ed themselves. The other teams could technically try and wait it out to get these guys for pennies on the dollar. Unrealistic, but they won't be getting trade deadline like value.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
So Vegas has all of these players but now they don't have any leverage. Ya they have decent players on ok contracts, but if teams wanted to sit back and let them sweat, Vegas could have just ****ed themselves. The other teams could technically try and wait it out to get these guys for pennies on the dollar.

Because as we know, NHL GMs definitely have solidarity and will refuse to pay a significant price for a player just so their competitions doesn't get them.

How is them having decent players to trade any different than when any other team has them?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Because as we know, NHL GMs definitely have solidarity and will refuse to pay a significant price for a player just so their competitions doesn't get them.

How is them having decent players to trade any different than when any other team has them?

Well when one GM bones half the league in one night, they may not want to be nice. I guess I was just thinking that Vegas thinks everyone will be chomping at the bit for some of their guys. But in reality they have a bunch of old Dmen on expiring deals, or under performing youngsters, or forwards on bad deals, and no one will want to pay a premium for that.

So as a new team, I'd have to imagine they don't want a max payroll right away and will need to clear space. But when half the league is annoyed by you and the others aren't really big on those players, prices won't be driven up, therefore blowing up McPhees plan of acquiring tons of Dmen and flipping em for great value.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If Vegas didn't agree to a deal with the Wild, Dumba is protected and Brodin is traded.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So Vegas has all of these players but now they don't have any leverage. Ya they have decent players on ok contracts, but if teams wanted to sit back and let them sweat, Vegas could have just ****ed themselves. The other teams could technically try and wait it out to get these guys for pennies on the dollar. Unrealistic, but they won't be getting trade deadline like value.

Trades were agreed to before the draft and will be announced later today.

laxdoc

Sep 30, 2007
1) Does Vegas have a different set of waiver rules for the first year? They clearly drafted way more NHL players who would have to make it through waivers come the start of the season when the 23 man roster is set.

2) Why is it assumed that Anaheim and Minny had potential side deals to deal Vatanen/Manson/Dumba/Staal etc and essentially dictate to Vegas the terms of their deals when Ottawa and Nashville were in the same boat? Is the argument that those players could have been traded but Methot and Neal couldn't? Is that an indictment on Ottawa and Nashville that they didn't leverage the "well if you don't agree to my terms, then I will just trade my guy and you will get nothing"?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have to go with Vegas as being the biggest loser, they did not get enough value out of not forcing teams who would have had to restructure in order to protect their best assets. At worst they should have received some better picks or prospects than they did for not forcing teams to do stuff they did not want to.

Wild are winners just by not losing anything significant in comparison to what they would have lost or what they would have had to do in order to not lose something significant.

Other winners in my opinion, addition by subtraction,
Montreal
Calgary
Vancouver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad