Value of: Winners and Losers in the Expansion Draft

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Me. Instead of just relying on the Twitter leaks, I actually watched that abomination of an Awards show.

1) Whoever that MC was (Magic Mike or something) was an absolute idiot. We know you tried to look and act super hard and show what a hockey fan you are, but you're a dork.

2) All the picks were the same as leaked -- no change.

3) Blasting "How do you like me know" after every segment was pretty damn irritating. Doing it after Brian Bickell's piece just ruined the only segment which appeared to have received any thought or effort.

My brain hurts from watching that ridiculous cheese fest. Thanks Gary B. I will never ever watch that event ever again. Ouch.

whatever... It was entertaining enough for me.
They did a decent enough job when they couldve gone without some of it.
It seems like our job on these boards is to pick apart everything.

sure it could have been better... but it could have been a lot worse as well.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Canucks added by subtraction. Happy to see Sbisa's contract gone. Also would have been fine if they had taken Dorsett.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Jeez, Nashville had the worst top forwards to protect but they still gave up the best one in the draft

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
I would have to believe if the Wild knew Dumba was going to be selected they would have traded him. The deal to me is more indicative of the value for Scandella. In my mind Vegas saw more value in having two solid young forwards over scandella.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
Don't know the Nashville situation, but I thought James Neal was never a popular team mate? Maybe it's addition by subtraction for the Preds?

To answer the OP, I don't like what Vegas did. I think they're the big loser here. They could have actually got good players (Vatanen, etc), but they opted not to pick them in exchange for BS, magic bean draft picks and bad contracts. I know they need some picks going forward, but man, they looked past a lot of good young players, which is exactly what they HOPE to get with those draft picks.

Neal was a very popular team mate. Nobody wanted him gone. It's rumored that GMGM was wanting a 2018 1st, 2017 2nd and 2 prospects from Poile to protect who he wanted. Being that Jarnkrok is signed 6 yrs for 2 mil and is a good 2 way C and Neal would be a UFA next season needing a raise from the 5 mil he's making now, the choice was clear.
Neal was the sacrifice McPhee forced for the Forsberg debacle.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Neal was a very popular team mate. Nobody wanted him gone. It's rumored that GMGM was wanting a 2018 1st, 2017 2nd and 2 prospects from Poile to protect who he wanted. Being that Jarnkrok is signed 6 yrs for 2 mil and is a good 2 way C and Neal would be a UFA next season needing a raise from the 5 mil he's making now, the choice was clear.
Neal was the sacrifice McPhee forced for the Forsberg debacle.

I can see the price being high because before the protected lists were made, the one who Poile probably would have wanted to protect in this kind of deal was Ekholm. Yes, he was protected but a deal where Ekholm had been exposed and McPhee being bribed to not pick him would have allowed Preds to protect three more forwards.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
FLA and NYI got fleeced big time. Not sure what the heck those management teams is doing. They are my biggest losers.

popo

Aug 9, 2005
winners - the city of LV, hockey fans everywhere

Yes, hockey fans everyone can look forward to paying hundreds of dollars for their tickets when this awful roster comes to visit. They should provide some entertaining hockey as they fulfill their promise to be competitive seven years from now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
FLA and NYI got fleeced big time. Not sure what the heck those management teams is doing. They are my biggest losers.

Thing I don't get is if you think the Islanders got fleeced then why not go after Columbus while you are at it, I don't see how what they gave up was any better(they gave up an actual roster player, although a lesser first round pick)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Non-Isles fan:

'Isles did what?, traded a freaking 1st AND 2nd rounder and got nothing in return??'

Isles fan:

'No, they cleared $5 mil in capspace and kept all their players so they can use them in a big trade for a forw...'

Non-Isles fan:

'Yeah yeah yeah, whatever, too complicated for me to follow, so 'Isles=Big Loser LOL'

And the really funny thing is, nobody is saying anything like that about Columbus, which did basically exactly the same thing. But everybody intuitively knows about Clarkson's situation (especially since the deal was leaked and discussed in advance), whereas that's not true of Grabovski.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't get it.

Pittsburgh loses a good player and gives up a 2nd. Opens room for good, younger, players and saves money. "Smart move."

Ottawa loses a good player. Opens room for good, younger, players and saves money. "OMG ottawa lost big time"

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
And the really funny thing is, nobody is saying anything like that about Columbus, which did basically exactly the same thing. But everybody intuitively knows about Clarkson's situation (especially since the deal was leaked and discussed in advance), whereas that's not true of Grabovski.

Clarkson is signed for 3 more season. Grabovski is off the books after 1. He might even be a serviceable player for Vegas if healthy.

It comes down to the value of Nelson\Strome .. Keeping Nelson is worth giving up the 1st while also freeing up cap space.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I don't get it.

Pittsburgh loses a good player and gives up a 2nd. Opens room for good, younger, players and saves money. "Smart move."

Ottawa loses a good player. Opens room for good, younger, players and saves money. "OMG ottawa lost big time"

Pittsburgh losing a goalie will hurt the Penguins less then Ottawa losing one of it's top 4 defensemen. You might argue that the Penguins losing Fleury might cost them a few games in the regular season but it should make 0 difference in the playoffs. On the flip side Methot hurts the Sens both in the regular season and playoffs.

moose3322

Apr 3, 2007
Didn't a rebuilding Jets team drop 11 spots in the first round? I'd say that's a pretty valuable piece.

Yes, that piece has some value, but it is an 11 spot drop in the middle of the first round, of a weak draft. Certainly not more value to the Jets than Lowry/Perrault/Armia, which is who they ended up saving, in the larger scope of this deal.

The Jets are a young team, for sure, but they arent really "rebuilding" anymore. They don't NEED another draft pick. They went through a long process of sucking and replacing much of their old Atlanta team (ZERO depth, and no prospects to speak of coming up) with young players through the draft, and have built a nice young core, and have good prospects to go with them already. They finally are on the verge of being good after years of the youth movement, hopefully able to take the next step now with minor tweaking. People are stuck in the rut of "they have sucked so they will always suck", but this was the plan all along, it has just taken time. Now is not the time to bleed pieces and "rebuild" again through the draft.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Biggest loser by far is Vegas. They could've had a competitive team right away, instead they have a metric ton of draft picks and a dumpster fire of a lineup.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I don't get it.

Matt Murray > whoever will replaces Methot

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Pittsburgh now has 20 million in salary cap room and zero bad contract with their oldest player being Malkin at 30...... HOLY ****

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Pittsburgh losing a goalie will hurt the Penguins less then Ottawa losing one of it's top 4 defensemen. You might argue that the Penguins losing Fleury might cost them a few games in the regular season but it should make 0 difference in the playoffs. On the flip side Methot hurts the Sens both in the regular season and playoffs.

Matt Murray > whoever will replaces Methot

You know that Chabot kid is pretty good, right?

I know he's not a sure thing, but Ottawa has some pretty crazy depth on the left side.

Claesson's been playing top pairing minutes for the B-Sens for 4 damn years. Between them, Harpur, Englund, and free agency, I'm confident Ottawa can find a Methot replacement without giving anything up.

The 5M helps too.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I can see the price being high because before the protected lists were made, the one who Poile probably would have wanted to protect in this kind of deal was Ekholm. Yes, he was protected but a deal where Ekholm had been exposed and McPhee being bribed to not pick him would have allowed Preds to protect three more forwards.

Neal is a loss, but if the Preds needed to protect their 4 deep D. They're also rumoured to be pursuing Duchene and the players being offered is slightly more than requested by LV to pass on Neal which has 2 years remaining on his is contract. Wait until after the Entry Draft, David Poile has done some brilliant traded in the past and might be able to turn this negative to a positive.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Biggest loser by far is Vegas. They could've had a competitive team right away, instead they have a metric ton of draft picks and a dumpster fire of a lineup.

Well, if they only picked the best players available to them, they would have a slightly smaller, less smelly dumpster fire of a lineup.

They did the right thing and built a solid base for the future. Not to mention that we should not judge before the draft is over. Lots of stuff can happen until then.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Neal is a loss, but if the Preds needed to protect their 4 deep D. They're also rumoured to be pursuing Duchene and the players being offered is slightly more than requested by LV to pass on Neal which has 2 years remaining on his is contract. Wait until after the Entry Draft, David Poile has done some brilliant traded in the past and might be able to turn this negative to a positive.

But it didn't come down to protecting the top 4 d vs. protecting Neal. Nashville was always going to protect 4 D. It came down to protecting Jarnkrok (a small 3C) over Neal (one of the best snipers in the game). I would love for Poile to land Duchene, but that would make Jarnkrok expendable. If adding a legitimate 2C was in Poile's plans, there was no reason to protect Krok over Neal.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
I don't get it.

Losing a top pairing defenceman vs losing a high priced backup goalie.

Sens would gladly replace with an equivalent talent/salaried defenceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad