Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Calls people children, makes a childish uninformed post that Klefbom is injury prone. Maybe go do your research on the "injuries" Klefbom has had. Unless of course we're considering a shoulder surgery 5 years ago and a 3-4 week fractured metacarpal turned staph infection injury prone. If you don't see the value in Klefbom then thats your loss. He'd be your best Dman.

Just for fun:

2012-13:
Klefbom had surgery on an injured shoulder that put him out most of the season.
2013-14:
  • Oct. 4 (one game): took a puck off the ankle in training camp
  • Dec. 31 – Jan. 17 (six games): shoulder injury
  • Mar. 5 – Mar. 8 (two games): minor upper body injury (presumed shoulder)
  • Apr. 26 (one playoff game): undisclosed
  • Ten games total
2014-15:
Dec. 14 -16: Foot injury, missed two games
2015-16:
Dec. 14 – end of season: Upper & lower body injury, missed 52 games

Looks like the start of an injury prone players resume to me.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Good job creating a situation to become outraged over and then going crazy with the hyperbole. Where did anyone say Drai>Matthews?

Keep dreaming you wouldn't have to gut your team starting with Matthews to get McDavid.

No one said anything to the effect, and it looks like my final childish comment was just proven true :laugh:

As for the Drai/Matthews thing, here:

Nah its McDavid>Matthews=Draisaitl>Marner/Nylander ect

Start the poll lets get it on ;)

edit: wanted to add my original post you were replying to:

Are you guys seriously trying to debate Drai>Matthews? Ok then, start a poll, hahaha!

edit: As for Nylander, it would take McD, no one else is worth it 1 for 1 from the Leafs POV. Klefbom is injury prone and honestly not as valuable, Drai is right on par in terms of value but man that contract is big. I wouldn’t do it 1 for 1 right now.

edit 2: And no, I’m not saying Nylander is worth McD, I’m saying no one else is 1 for 1. Just cause I know you’ll probably only read the first part of my sentence cause that’s what children do nowadays.

Reactions: Cotton

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Just for fun:

2012-13:
Klefbom had surgery on an injured shoulder that put him out most of the season.
2013-14:
  • Oct. 4 (one game): took a puck off the ankle in training camp
  • Dec. 31 – Jan. 17 (six games): shoulder injury
  • Mar. 5 – Mar. 8 (two games): minor upper body injury (presumed shoulder)
  • Apr. 26 (one playoff game): undisclosed
  • Ten games total
2014-15:
Dec. 14 -16: Foot injury, missed two games
2015-16:
Dec. 14 – end of season: Upper & lower body injury, missed 52 games

Looks like the start of an injury prone players resume to me.
10 games and 2 games over an entire season. Now we're really stretching "injury prone" aren't we. Yeah lets call a staph infection a lower body injury, and ignore the actual injury was a 3-4 week estimated recovery knuckle fracture. For a player thats on this road to being injury prone its so odd that he played 94 games last year.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
10 games and 2 games over an entire season. Now we're really stretching it aren't we. Yeah lets call a staph infection a lower body injury, and ignore the actual injury was a 3-4 week estimated recovery knuckle fracture. For a player thats on this road to being injury prone its so odd that he played 94 games last year.

He had a healthy year this year, lets hope he keeps it up :) A shoulder surgery at 18/19 is not something to scoff at either. Wanna see an example of non-injury prone? Check out Marleau or Kessel even. Last season was his first fully healthy year in over 5 years, just saying. Also, Joffrey Lupul had an infection in his back that sidelined him for months when his initial recovery was much less as well, what’s your point? An infection is an injury if you can’t play your sport.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
No one said anything to the effect, and it looks like my final childish comment was just proven true :laugh:

As for the Drai/Matthews thing, here:

Start the poll lets get it on ;)

edit: wanted to add my original post you were replying to:

Why would I start a poll on something I never claimed? :huh: Who said Draisaitl > Matthews?

Its ludicrous to even attempt to suggest a 1 for 1 Nylander/McDavid trade no matter how cleverly you think you framed it amongst the rest of your mental diarrhea

Feb 24, 2017
He had a healthy year this year, lets hope he keeps it up :) A shoulder surgery at 18/19 is not something to scoff at either. Wanna see an example of non-injury prone? Check out Marleau or Kessel even. Last season was his first fully healthy year in over 5 years, just saying. Also, Joffrey Lupul had an infection in his back that sidelined him for months when his initial recovery was much less as well, what’s your point? An infection is an injury if you can’t play your sport.
It’s interesting to see a debate between leafs and oilers fans about what means injured. Reading posts about Tanev, every single missed game is terminal damnation, regardless of why or how.

Reactions: TMLeafs17

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Considering you don't even know the procedure he had done, and I am quite certain you have no medical background, your shoulder comment is quite laughable. You have some very strict criteria for a healthy season. Very few players ever have entirely healthy seasons. If they did we'd have numerous 10+ year iron man streaks going in the NHL. Its almost like minor injuries tend to happen in a sport where projectiles are flying around at 100mph, players weighing upwards of 250lbs are flying around at speeds exceeding 30km/hr played on sharp blades with sticks swinging around constantly. Who would have thought.

Again your comparison to Lupul is laughable. In the past 8 seasons that Lupul actually played in he only played over 30 games 4 times, and over 70 games not once. Talk about hyperbole and reaching to try and support your argument.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s interesting to see a debate between leafs and oilers fans about what means injured. Reading posts about Tanev, every single missed game is terminal damnation, regardless of why or how.

This is an odd post considering that I myself have never once spoken about Tanev's injury history. Or are we on to that whole fanbase generalization thing? Do all Vancouver fans riot and burn down downtown Vancouver too?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Considering you don't even know the procedure he had done, and I am quite certain you have no medical background, your shoulder comment is quite laughable. You have some very strict criteria for a healthy season. Very few players ever have entirely healthy seasons. If they did we'd have numerous 10+ year iron man streaks going in the NHL. Its almost like minor injuries tend to happen in a sport where projectiles are flying around at 100mph, players weighing upwards of 250lbs are flying around at speeds exceeding 30km/hr played on sharp blades with sticks swinging around constantly. Who would have thought.

Again your comparison to Lupul is laughable. In the past 8 seasons that Lupul actually played in he only played over 30 games 4 times, and over 70 games not once. Talk about hyperbole and reaching to try and support your argument.

Lupul was young once took, look how healthy he used to be :)

Care to enlighten me on why you think his shoulder surgery is nothing? Because he has missed games since because of it, or because he hasn’t missed any in 3 years because of it? Please go into detail, I’m genuinely curious as you seem to think you’re a medical professional. :)

BTW if I really wanted to nitpick I’d point out he missed a playoff game last year which was pretty important, no?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Why would I start a poll on something I never claimed? :huh: Who said Draisaitl > Matthews?

Its ludicrous to even attempt to suggest a 1 for 1 Nylander/McDavid trade no matter how cleverly you think you framed it amongst the rest of your mental diarrhea

Sorry your reading comprehension isn’t on that high of a level, but my words were not very complicated if you took a second to read them instead of jumping to conclusions about your precious gem. You clearly stated Matthews=Draisaitl so start the poll. I have you quoted saying it...

Nah its McDavid>Matthews=Draisaitl>Marner/Nylander ect

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lupul was young once took, look how healthy he used to be :)

Care to enlighten me on why you think his shoulder surgery is nothing? Because he has missed games since because of it, or because he hasn’t missed any in 3 years because of it? Please go into detail, I’m genuinely curious as you seem to think you’re a medical professional. :)

BTW if I really wanted to nitpick I’d point out he missed a playoff game last year which was pretty important, no?

And Lupul being healthy when he was young has what to do with Klefbom exactly? If anything that is completely counter-intuitive to your reasoning regarding Klefbom being injury prone given that Klefbom suffered injuries in his youth and now seems to be quite healthy.

Care to enlighten me why you think it is? I don't know, maybe because labral repairs for elite athletes are generally a large success especially in a sport where throwing is not a part of the game? Maybe because Klefbom is performing very well with no indications that his surgery has left him with any deficits. What games has he missed since because of it? I assume you're referencing the 6 games he missed a few seasons back, of which you don't even know if its the same shoulder, and of which you don't even know if it was the same tissue structure damaged. The fact that he missed only 6 games would be a pretty clear indication that it was not a reinjury of a torn glenoid labrum.

Feb 24, 2017
This is an odd post considering that I myself have never once spoken about Tanev's injury history. Or are we on to that whole fanbase generalization thing? Do all Vancouver fans riot and burn down downtown Vancouver too?
I literally see leafs and oilers fans debating the semantics of what is an injury. I didn’t say ALL fans of each team.

And if you ask any random person on this website? Yes, all Vancouver fans riot and burn.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
And Lupul being healthy when he was young has what to do with Klefbom exactly? If anything that is completely counter-intuitive to your reasoning regarding Klefbom being injury prone given that Klefbom suffered injuries in his youth and now seems to be quite healthy.

Care to enlighten me why you think it is? I don't know, maybe because labral repairs for elite athletes are generally a large success especially in a sport where throwing is not a part of the game? Maybe because Klefbom is performing very well with no indications that his surgery has left him with any deficits. What games has he missed since because of it? I assume you're referencing the 6 games he missed a few seasons back, of which you don't even know if its the same shoulder, and of which you don't even know if it was the same tissue structure damaged. The fact that he missed only 6 games would be a pretty clear indication that it was not a reinjury of a torn glenoid labrum.

More like if Lupul was healthy at that point, what the heck is this guy gonna be in 5 more years. :laugh: Seriously I’m just playing with you now.

This is just the first article I pulled up, seems like the younger you are the better the surgery is, thank gosh for Klefbom:

https://www.regenexx.com/shoulder-labrum-surgery-recovery/

But honestly, thank you for your insight Dr.McFlyingV, I appreciate the time you took to explain his injuries in depth to me.

Here’s hoping to a healthy season for everyone :D

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Sorry your reading comprehension isn’t on that high of a level, but my words were not very complicated if you took a second to read them instead of jumping to conclusions about your precious gem. You clearly stated Matthews=Draisaitl so start the poll. I have you quoted saying it...

Since your reading skills aren't nearly as polished and sharp as you seem to think I'll post your exact quote below.

Are you guys seriously trying to debate Drai>Matthews? Ok then, start a poll, hahaha!

Why would I or anyone else start a poll based on a premise or claim we didn't make? I know that concept is hard for you to understand, but the point still stands. Talk about jumping to conclusions and getting overly defensive.

Go ahead quote me saying Draisaitl>Matthews, bud.

Ya I didn't think so.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I literally see leafs and oilers fans debating the semantics of what is an injury. I didn’t say ALL fans of each team.

And if you ask any random person on this website? Yes, all Vancouver fans riot and burn.
Just seemed like a bitter response over the "Tanev is injury prone" sentiment that is often echoed on this board. Anyways, does Tanev get injured more than the average player? Probably, but thats a byproduct of the type of game he plays being a defensive defence man. I think the stigma around players being injury prone on this site is frankly hilarious given how violent and dangerous the sport of hockey is. If this was baseball and someone missed 20 games of the 160 game schedule you would hardly ever hear the term injury prone thrown around. Yet you see a player miss 10 games because he broke a finger blocking a puck or strained a muscle/sprained a ligament getting hit and suddenly players are injury prone. Its like welcome to sports, injuries happen and a lot of it is just plain old luck in a lot of cases.

Feb 24, 2017
Just seemed like a bitter response over the "Tanev is injury prone" sentiment that is often echoed on this board. Anyways, does Tanev get injured more than the average player? Probably, but thats a byproduct of the type of game he plays being a defensive defence man. I think the stigma around players being injury prone on this site is frankly hilarious given how violent and dangerous the sport of hockey is. If this was baseball and someone missed 20 games of the 160 game schedule you would hardly ever hear the term injury prone thrown around. Yet you see a player miss 10 games because he broken a finger blocking a puck or strained a muscle/sprained a ligament getting hit and suddenly players are injury prone. Its like welcome to sports, injuries happen and a lot of it is just plain old luck in a lot of cases.
Stop being reasonable. I won’t stand for it.

Reactions: McFlyingV

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Since your reading skills aren't nearly as polished and sharp as you seem to think I'll post your exact quote below.

Why would I or anyone else start a poll based on a premise or claim we didn't make? I know that concept is hard for you to understand, but the point still stands. Talk about jumping to conclusions and getting overly defensive.

Sorry but you still clearly state they are equal. Start the poll or post your rebuttal to Matthews>Draisaitl. Cause I’m ready to state my case.

Edit: on second thought I’m going to revisit this in the morning, do your best :)

Reactions: Halla

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Sorry but you still clearly state they are equal. Start the poll or post your rebuttal to Matthews>Draisaitl. Cause I’m ready to state my case.

Edit: on second thought I’m going to revisit this in the morning, do your best :)

Here you go in case you missed it:

Now go find the guy that said Draisaitl>Matthews and ask him to make a poll, because it wasn't me. Run along now. ;)

Reactions: McFlyingV

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
time to shut this one down. Nylander isnt getting moved for lesser pieces, especially when the closest thing to what we need is darnell nurse

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Matthews>Draisaitl imo, but those numbers aren't as bad as you think they are. Unless of course you're ignoring PP production because Draisaitl had 33 points in 39 games last year before ever being put on McDavid's wing.

I think Draisaitl is closer to Matthews than Nylander is to Draisaitl, but the 2 gaps are pretty close.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This thread has gone from Looney bin level to full train wreck....we are talking Tanev now???

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
From the very first sentence to the end, there's more projection in this post than a Cineplex on a Saturday night. It's really quite implressive.

Oh, well, I'm so glad the Leafs fan base has decided to bestow Draisaitl with that tremendous honor. Where would he be without that? Oh, eighth in NHL scoring last year you say? And Nylander was 38th? Never mind.

I don't think "they" would, unless "they" are also Leafs fans.

Who could forget the great equalizer Martin Marincin?

"Hey guys you get to the fifth best player on each of our teams and, like, we're totally better from there on down! Oh, and my dad's dad's third cousin can beat up your dad's dad's third cousin!"

Let's remember this little gem at the end, shall we?

Who do the Oilers have that compares to a 38-year-old winger recently signed to a $6.5M/year contract- and this after a third straight year of declining production? Thankfully no one. You do realize a brag is supposed to be a good thing, right- or are you also trying to prove Toronto has the worst worst player also, in addition to the best at every position (well, beyond the ones that matter).

(Note: that Edmonton beat the team Marleau played for last year in the first round just adds to the hilarity of this statement.)

Let's also keep this one top-of-mind for the finale.

There aren't enough L and O keys in the world to express the amount of laughter this paragraph deserves. I mean, it's not even really close. To conclude a post that brags about your team's fifth/sixth best player- hell, your fourth line (!!!)- while simultaneously decrying another fan base for overrating their team is so much better a definition for hypocrisy than any in the dictionary that I hope Merriam-Webster just screencaps what you wrote for their next edition.

Apparently the actual "best man for man team in the universe" was so good it couldn't get out of the first round last year. That's right- the one with no 20-goal fourth liners, no answer to an undersized one-dimensional winger and a player on his last legs (who, again, it must be pointed out was on the losing team last year) made it farther.

A true mystery that one. No, really it is; the Leafs have the best goalie in the world, the best coach, apparently also a D "total group" that is at least comparable to Edmonton's. How did they lose? Are they just chokers? We may never know, but that has to be the case since Toronto is so much better in every facet. The world thanks you for giving us a hint that may one day help us crack this enigma.
There is just so much nonsense here you do not deserve a rebuttal. Anyone can see through you.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
time to shut this one down. Nylander isnt getting moved for lesser pieces, especially when the closest thing to what we need is darnell nurse

Agreed. The OP was not realistic in the first place and an insulting offer, and it has turned into Oiler fans patting each other on the back and bashing Leaf fans and their players. They've always been super cocky, even when their team had Hall and RNH as their best players, I remember how their teams were SOO much better than the Leafs then. Now they get a good team, and no one else can have a good team.

Both are good teams, we'll let their play do the talking. Using 1 season sample size, and comparing two players years apart (Matthews and Drai) make no sense. Especially when there are several factors that do show some concern such as numbers dropping away from McDavid and unsustainable shooting % over a few games giving Leon a nice playoff statline which is misleading.

No question Drai is a great player, and plays well with McDavid, but he is not close to Matthews, and it's laughable to argue it. How Oiler fans can laugh at Leaf fans saying Matthews = McDavid, then turn around and try and Claim Drai = Matthews is ironic at worst, complete hyperbole at best. Just stop, both teams are going to be good.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Uh...

I don't understand how we could afford Nylander long term, for one.
What don't you understand? Other teams pay there top 3 players 25m or more. Why are Leaf fan sin such a panic? Do the math. Now the Leafs probably won't to be able to afford (or want to) resign Komarov, JVR, Bozak and maybe not Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad