Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
ITT: Why all Leafs players are better than an all Oilers players.

In other threads: Why all Leafs players shouldn't make as much or more than their Oiler counterparts.

Pick one, Leafs fans.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You're using a 1 game sample to prove that where the jets goalies couldn't stop the puck and mike smith was very good?
No I am using an 88 game sample where the leafs had 5 60+ point players plus the addition of Marleau compared to McDavid and LD, the only 60+ point players on the Oilers. Plus 1 game this year.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Puljujarvi, Nurse are much higher quality than Liljegren and Brown. Assuming Kapanen and Yamamoto are about the same. Also I think Draisaitl is clearly the superior player to Nylander. So not really a great comparison imo.

But like I said, I doubt the teams would make a big trade with each other.

everything you said is pretty debatable aside from kapanen=yamamnoto.

Liljegren > Nurse (Maionly because Nurse looks like a bottom pairing dman whereas liljegren has top 4 potential)
Puljujarvi>Brown (Mainly because Brown looks like a 20g 3rd liner whereas Puljujarvi has top6 potential)

also strongly disagree that draisaitl is the clearly superior player. Drai 0.723ppg vs Nylander 0.721ppg. both guys play RW now but are probably future #2C. an argument can be made for either of these guys. draisaitl has definitely had the better year but Nylander crushed what he did at the same age (20)

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Puljujarvi, Nurse are much higher quality than Liljegren and Brown. Assuming Kapanen and Yamamoto are about the same. Also I think Draisaitl is clearly the superior player to Nylander. So not really a great comparison imo.

But like I said, I doubt the teams would make a big trade with each other.
You made a weird statement there. If Puljujarvi were Browns equal he would be in the NHL. He looks to have more upside maybe but it is a bit premature to say he is better than a proven 20 goal scorer. The fact is Brown is the best player of the 4 at this moment so your statement doesn't make sense. Brown is better than Nurse, Puljujarvi may prove to be better than Timmy. At this point your position does not really hold up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
everything you said is pretty debatable aside from kapanen=yamamnoto.

Liljegren > Nurse (Maionly because Nurse looks like a bottom pairing dman whereas liljegren has top 4 potential)
Puljujarvi>Brown (Mainly because Brown looks like a 20g 3rd liner whereas Puljujarvi has top6 potential)

also strongly disagree that draisaitl is the clearly superior player. Drai 0.723ppg vs Nylander 0.721ppg. both guys play RW now but are probably future #2C. an argument can be made for either of these guys. draisaitl has definitely had the better year but Nylander crushed what he did at the same age (20)
So I guess Nurse is just too old to get any better now?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

In other threads: Why all Leafs players shouldn't make as much or more than their Oiler counterparts.

Pick one, Leafs fans.

Outlandish untrue statements aren't going to get you any sympathy. Most of us think it's premature to declare Dra on some whole other than level than Nylander but we will also concede Dra has the edge right now. Most people would also agree Dra is a little higher paid than they would like.

Klef would be our best D and Larsson our best shut down guy but the total groups are not worlds apart.

However the comparisons get less favorable with the forward group after that, you have no solution to Marner. Want to call Lucic JVR's equal? sure why not, what have you got for Kadri? Marleau? Nothing. How many 20 goals scorers do you have 4rth line?

Some of you carry on like you are the defending Cup and President's Trophy winner with a perfect team. You do not need to be the best at everything. You have a good team, but it is not the best man for man team in the universe. Accept that and you will enjoy hockey more.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Outlandish untrue statements aren't going to get you any sympathy.

From the very first sentence to the end, there's more projection in this post than a Cineplex on a Saturday night. It's really quite implressive.

Most of us think it's premature to declare Dra on some whole other than level than Nylander but we will also concede Dra has the edge right now.

Oh, well, I'm so glad the Leafs fan base has decided to bestow Draisaitl with that tremendous honor. Where would he be without that? Oh, eighth in NHL scoring last year you say? And Nylander was 38th? Never mind.

Most people would also agree Dra is a little higher paid than they would like.

I don't think "they" would, unless "they" are also Leafs fans.

Klef would be our best D and Larsson our best shut down guy but the total groups are not worlds apart.

Who could forget the great equalizer Martin Marincin?

However the comparisons get less favorable with the forward group after that, you have no solution to Marner.

"Hey guys you get to the fifth best player on each of our teams and, like, we're totally better from there on down! Oh, and my dad's dad's third cousin can beat up your dad's dad's third cousin!"

Let's remember this little gem at the end, shall we?

Want to call Lucic JVR's equal? sure why not, what have you got for Kadri? Marleau? Nothing.

Who do the Oilers have that compares to a 38-year-old winger recently signed to a $6.5M/year contract- and this after a third straight year of declining production? Thankfully no one. You do realize a brag is supposed to be a good thing, right- or are you also trying to prove Toronto has the worst worst player also, in addition to the best at every position (well, beyond the ones that matter).

(Note: that Edmonton beat the team Marleau played for last year in the first round just adds to the hilarity of this statement.)

How many 20 goals scorers do you have 4rth line?

Let's also keep this one top-of-mind for the finale.

Some of you carry on like you are the defending Cup and President's Trophy winner with a perfect team. You do not need to be the best at everything. You have a good team, but it is not the best man for man team in the universe. Accept that and you will enjoy hockey more.

There aren't enough L and O keys in the world to express the amount of laughter this paragraph deserves. I mean, it's not even really close. To conclude a post that brags about your team's fifth/sixth best player- hell, your fourth line (!!!)- while simultaneously decrying another fan base for overrating their team is so much better a definition for hypocrisy than any in the dictionary that I hope Merriam-Webster just screencaps what you wrote for their next edition.

Apparently the actual "best man for man team in the universe" was so good it couldn't get out of the first round last year. That's right- the one with no 20-goal fourth liners, no answer to an undersized one-dimensional winger and a player on his last legs (who, again, it must be pointed out was on the losing team last year) made it farther.

A true mystery that one. No, really it is; the Leafs have the best goalie in the world, the best coach, apparently also a D "total group" that is at least comparable to Edmonton's. How did they lose? Are they just chokers? We may never know, but that has to be the case since Toronto is so much better in every facet. The world thanks you for giving us a hint that may one day help us crack this enigma.

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

Pick one, Leafs fans.

Mcdavid>Matthews>Draisaitl,Marner,Nylander> JVR > all other oil forwards

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
So if that's really the case, you don't mind the Leafs paying Matthews $10M+, Marner and Nylander $8M+, and JVR $6M right?
Yeah basically, except JVR moves on/is traded for cap reasons as we've all been saying.
If Nylander/Marner get 8M they will have played a couple more fantastic seasons. So yes, that is essentially where we see the cap hit for those 3.

Mar 26, 2010
Mcdavid>Matthews>Draisaitl,Marner,Nylander> JVR > all other oil forwards
This is fair. I would bet this will much closer by the end of the season.

I will say this, I did not know how fast McDavid was until I watched the Oilers game the other night. He looks faster than last season. The kid can move.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This is fair. I would bet this will much closer by the end of the season.

I will say this, I did not know how fast McDavid was until I watched the Oilers game the other night. He looks faster than last season. The kid can move.
Why does this not surprise me? The guy who has opinions on all the Oilers players, but doesn't even watch the Oilers. Yes he's faster, but he's been faster than the entire league since he entered the league.

Mar 26, 2010
Why does this not surprise me? The guy who has opinions on all the Oilers players, but doesn't even watch the Oilers. Yes he's faster, but he's been faster than the entire league since he entered the league.
I was comparing his speed from last year. I have watched the Oil play for years. Even before McDavid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was comparing his speed from last year. I have watched the Oil play for years. Even before McDavid.
I'm sure you have. That burst would not come as a surprise to you if you had as he did that numerous times last year and was clocked pretty damn close to 40kph last year as well.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Draisaitl doesn't equal Matthews. Look at Draisaitl's numbers last year without McDavid last year in the regular season.
Matthews>Draisaitl imo, but those numbers aren't as bad as you think they are. Unless of course you're ignoring PP production because Draisaitl had 33 points in 39 games last year before ever being put on McDavid's wing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Matthews>Draisaitl imo, but those numbers aren't as bad as you think they are. Unless of course you're ignoring PP production because Draisaitl had 33 points in 39 games last year before ever being put on McDavid's wing.
Except all those PP numbers are playing on the PP with McDavid, so they aren't really without McDavid.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Then we should probably discredit Nylander's points on the PP with Matthews last year as well.
Its not discounting them, but when compared to Matthews he simply hasn't had success at 5v5 when not paired with an elite talent. His numbers at 5v5 with and without McDavid are dramatically different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad