Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
IF he becomes a 2C, I will value him higher. But I also think both Werenski and Provorov can end up as #1 D-men, and that is likely to happen at the same time as Nylander getting his shot at 2C thanks to the Leafs C depth. And at that time, both Provorov and Werenski will be nearly untouchable.

If he becomes a 2C. kinda selling willie short no? as a rookie Nylander had more points than all but 14 centers in the league. Just because he likely ends up as the 2C behind Matthews doesnt mean his value is that of a 2C league wide. Is Malkin a 2C? Is Draisaitl? How about Jeff Carter? Duchene?

In regards to your untouchable comment, ask habs and jackets fans how hard it is to get a #1C that can put up 60+ pts. Expect 70+ from Willie and when he hits that it will be untouchable (if he al;ready isn't)

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
That conclusion isn't legit. One team could be over-valuing their player significantly. For what its worth, I think the Leafs might have to eventually do a Hall/Larsson type deal to go over the top using Nylander or Marner...
thanks for the thought, but that obviously isn't gonna happen. 1 trade in the summer of 2016 doesn't dictate the market. The leafs D group now is also significantly better than the oilers were at that time, especially considering Klefbom wasn't where he is now (Sekera, Nurse,Davidson,Klefbom,Fayne,Gryba vs Rielly,Zaitsev,Gardiner,Hainsey,Carrick,Borgman)

your distain for the leafs is pretty obvious, but they aren't gonna repeat the oilers mistake. If they get a chance to get a Werenski/Trouba/Provorov type for Nylander/Mitch, maybe they do it. a Larsson type? not a chance. They likely just hope one of Liljegren/Dermott/Nielsen/Borgman/Rosen/Rasanen develop into a top 4 dman, and they only really need 1 of those guys to take the next step

Reactions: BVG

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Since your reading skills aren't nearly as polished and sharp as you seem to think I'll post your exact quote below.

Why would I or anyone else start a poll based on a premise or claim we didn't make? I know that concept is hard for you to understand, but the point still stands. Talk about jumping to conclusions and getting overly defensive.

Go ahead quote me saying Draisaitl>Matthews, bud.

Ya I didn't think so.

Don't care to read whatever else you guys are fighting about, but Drai is not = Matthews.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If Edmonton made an offer for Nylander I'm pretty sure it would be an underpayment.
It would not involve Bear, Jones, Nurse, Benning, Klefbom, Larsson or Sekera.
It would also not involve McDavid, Drai, Lucic, Maroon, Puljujarvi, Kassian, Letesnu or Hopkins.
Don't think I have to say that Talbot wouldn't be involved, but there I said it!
Boy we don't want to get to crazy and try and get Letestu for Nylander! I just sure hope you guys are able to see it in yourselves to give us at least a 3rd for him!

Reactions: thadd

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
And we wouldn't trade Nylander for either, so clearly it's pretty close and comes down to need / fit.

I would probably trade Marner for either though.
I would trade Nylander for Werenski in a heartbeat....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So how mamy more pages do we need to argue this ridiculous notion?

2? 6? 12?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Well that's your perogitive. It's wrong, but you can say whatever you'd like.
Lol...ya, it's wrong....sure. If Willy becomes a very good center, then it becomes close...but right now, i value the top pair Werenski higher than the top winger Nylander.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol...ya, it's wrong....sure. If Willy becomes a very good center, then it becomes close...but right now, i value the top pair Werenski higher than the top winger Nylander.
Good post. Nice to see a little humbleness in this thread rather than some of the homer posts we were seeing. Willy is a great player, but until he either proves he can be an ~ ppg winger or can play at a #1C level, then he doesn't have the value that some people think. There's just very little premise that a winger (which Nylander is at this point in his career) can return a high quality #1 type Dman, which Werenski is on the verge of becoming.

Reactions: Liferleafer

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Boy we don't want to get to crazy and try and get Letestu for Nylander! I just sure hope you guys are able to see it in yourselves to give us at least a 3rd for him!

Edmonton is not in a position to trade for a player like Nylander right now so the value can't possibly be there for either team.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Good post. Nice to see a little humbleness in this thread rather than some of the homer posts we were seeing. Willy is a great player, but until he either proves he can be an ~ ppg winger or can play at a #1C level, then he doesn't have the value that some people think. There's just very little premise that a winger (which Nylander is at this point in his career) can return a high quality #1 type Dman, which Werenski is on the verge of becoming.

So Werenski is on the verge of becoming something, but there's no basis to believe that Willy can do the same?

What has you believing that? The fact he makes everyone better? His ridiculous numbers as an 18/19 year old in the AHL? His time on the shutdown line? The fact his oish% was the same as goons/grinders/teams that had awful seasons? Yeah sounds like the guy will probably be a 60 point, 1 way winger his entire career. Oh wait, he's already better than that.

Just because you see it as 'being humble' doesn't mean it's correct.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You contradicted yourself pretty badly there my man.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

You have no idea what you're talking about. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad