Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
What if the package was Nurse + Puljujarvi for Nylander + minor piece?

That wouldn't be enough. Puljujarvi ahs proved nothing and could very well be a bust and Nurse hasn't really met expectations.

Leafs would only trade Nylander if they could get a similar young defenseman back, i.e something like the Johansen-Jones trade where both teams get what they want.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Talbot is going to be an interesting signing. He's been an absolute workhorse for the Oilers and probably the 2nd most important player on the team. He could command anywhere from $5 - $7 mill long-term.

Probably more to be honest. Either he goes the Holtby route and takes less to help the team or he can ask for anywhere between 7-9 on par with guys like Rasl, Bob, Hank etc.

I can't see him signing for less than 6.5

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Probably more to be honest. Either he goes the Holtby route and takes less to help the team or he can ask for anywhere between 7-9 on par with guys like Rasl, Bob, Hank etc.

I can't see him signing for less than 6.5
IMO trading Nylander would be a HUGE mistake. Nylander is the real deal!! As a Leaf fan its awesome that it looks like we have 3 legit superstars in the making and all 3 play such a different style

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO trading Nylander would be a HUGE mistake. Nylander is the real deal!! As a Leaf fan its awesome that it looks like we have 3 legit superstars in the making and all 3 play such a different style

I'm not saying they should trade him, but if they ever entertained the idea it would be something like the Jones-Johansen deal.

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
Here you go in case you missed it:

Now go find the guy that said Draisaitl>Matthews and ask him to make a poll, because it wasn't me. Run along now. ;)

You saying McDavid>Matthews=Draisaitl would be the same as me saying McDavid=Matthews>Draisaitl=Nylander=Marner.

GTFO with your nonsense or admit Matthews is better than Draisaitl. Because he clearly is.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I'm not saying they should trade him, but if they ever entertained the idea it would be something like the Jones-Johansen deal.

if a jones-johansen deal was possible i think the leafs would have to at least consider it. im not sure what the equivalent would be? maybe provorov? it would have to be a defenseman equally studly

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
if a jones-johansen deal was possible i think the leafs would have to at least consider it. im not sure what the equivalent would be? maybe provorov? it would have to be a defenseman equally studly

Depends on who you ask. Ive seen it throw around the boards that CBJ adds to werenski to get Nylander, so....

Also, with no disrespect meant to Nylander, I wouldn't move Provorov in a deal for him (and someone will come in and say it wouldn't be offered shortly), simply because our need is more on the D side. I also don't think its equal value, but its not worth debating since neither side is really interested anyway.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I don't think Nylander could get the Leafs a Werenski. I don't think they could get Provorov for him either, but I know I expect more of Provorov than a lot around here do.
Once Nylander starts playing center, I think you may change your mind. If hw proves he can be that #1 type of center(#2 on the Leafs obviously) than his value only increases. I get it, he still has to prove himself. But I think Provorov and Werenski do too. We'll see how they all do in year two.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This makes me chuckle inside. I don't think you'd get either player from their respective teams.

And we wouldn't trade Nylander for either, so clearly it's pretty close and comes down to need / fit.

I would probably trade Marner for either though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Once Nylander starts playing center, I think you may change your mind. If hw proves he can be that #1 type of center(#2 on the Leafs obviously) than his value only increases. I get it, he still has to prove himself. But I think Provorov and Werenski do too. We'll see how they all do in year two.

IF he becomes a 2C, I will value him higher. But I also think both Werenski and Provorov can end up as #1 D-men, and that is likely to happen at the same time as Nylander getting his shot at 2C thanks to the Leafs C depth. And at that time, both Provorov and Werenski will be nearly untouchable.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
And we wouldn't trade Nylander for either, so clearly it's pretty close and comes down to need / fit.

I would probably trade Marner for either though.

That conclusion isn't legit. One team could be over-valuing their player significantly. For what its worth, I think the Leafs might have to eventually do a Hall/Larsson type deal to go over the top using Nylander or Marner...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That conclusion isn't legit. One team could be over-valuing their player significantly. For what its worth, I think the Leafs might have to eventually do a Hall/Larsson type deal to go over the top using Nylander or Marner...

I'd rather let one walk in FA then downgrade that hard.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
IF he becomes a 2C, I will value him higher. But I also think both Werenski and Provorov can end up as #1 D-men, and that is likely to happen at the same time as Nylander getting his shot at 2C thanks to the Leafs C depth. And at that time, both Provorov and Werenski will be nearly untouchable.

C>D, it's been done in polls and has always been the case. If Nylander is a C putting up 70-70+ puts a year neither Provorov or Werenski are untouchable. Not in a vaccum and not on teams who are flush with high end D and in need of a 1C.

Ryan Johansen landing Seth Jones is a good example of that. Although CBJ needed/need a 1C themselves.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
No to all of the above. I'd be livid if they traded Nylander.

It's not a good idea or fit right now, especially with this scenario.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
[
You saying McDavid>Matthews=Draisaitl would be the same as me saying McDavid=Matthews>Draisaitl=Nylander=Marner.

GTFO with your nonsense or admit Matthews is better than Draisaitl. Because he clearly is.

So I see you are backing away from your earlier claims I said Draisaitl>Matthews finally? Kind of embarrassing ranting on and on in the face of being proven wrong over and over isn't it? Reading comprehension is a tough skill these days.

I also said I wouldn't pick Draisaitl ahead of Matthews in a draft in case you also completely missed that.

Draisaitl had a better season last year and until proven otherwise hes on equal footing with Matthews. Now I fully expect Matthews to pull ahead at least slightly this year but we'll see, won't we?

TMLeafs17

Why so salty?
Oct 5, 2017
[

So I see you are backing away from your earlier claims I said Draisaitl>Matthews finally? Kind of embarrassing ranting on and on in the face of being proven wrong over and over isn't it? Reading comprehension is a tough skill these days.

I also said I wouldn't pick Draisaitl ahead of Matthews in a draft in case you also missed that but then I'm not surprised either.

Draisaitl had a better season last year and until proven otherwise hes on equal footing with Matthews. Now I fully expect Matthews to pull ahead slightly this year but we'll see, won't we?

I was not referring to you directly when I said that, I was talking about the thread. If you’ll look back, that was my very first post in this thread. You were the one who started arguing with me. You clearly state Drai=Matthews and that is very wrong, sorry. Have a good one dude, I’m done trying to discuss this with you in a civilized manner. When I have my poll privileges I will start the poll, and I guarantee you the results won’t be “slightly” in Matthews’ favour, peace out.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I was not referring to you directly when I said that, I was talking about the thread. If you’ll look back, that was my very first post in this thread. You were the one who started arguing with me. You clearly state Drai=Matthews and that is very wrong, sorry. Have a good one dude, I’m done trying to discuss this with you in a civilized manner. When I have my poll privileges I will start the poll, and I guarantee you the results won’t be “slightly” in Matthews’ favour, peace out.

"Civilized". LOL.

Have a great night, bud.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If Edmonton made an offer for Nylander I'm pretty sure it would be an underpayment.
It would not involve Bear, Jones, Nurse, Benning, Klefbom, Larsson or Sekera.
It would also not involve McDavid, Drai, Lucic, Maroon, Puljujarvi, Kassian, Letesnu or Hopkins.
Don't think I have to say that Talbot wouldn't be involved, but there I said it!

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Why would Toronto move an excellent, affordable piece like Nylander or Marner?

I could see them acquiring a solid defenseman who has two years left, so that when these two, along with Matthews, start getting paid big bucks, they can fit them under the cap.

Toronto easily has three young studs who are better than any teams top three entry level players. Not even close. Toronto is good enough, with one more defenseman, to win now.

And I hate Toronto....

Mar 26, 2010
How is this thread still open?

Nylander is as close to untouchable as any of the best stars in the NHL. No way he gets traded.

Feb 24, 2017
You have one superstar. The American. The Canadian and Swede will “just” be stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad