Value of: William Nylander to Edmonton

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So Werenski is on the verge of becoming something, but there's no basis to believe that Willy can do the same?

What has you believing that? The fact he makes everyone better? His ridiculous numbers as an 18/19 year old in the AHL? His time on the shutdown line? The fact his oish% was the same as goons/grinders/teams that had awful seasons? Yeah sounds like the guy will probably be a 60 point, 1 way winger his entire career. Oh wait, he's already better than that.

Just because you see it as 'being humble' doesn't mean it's correct.
You saying it isn't correct doesn't make your opinion any more correct.

Reactions: Cotton

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm just failing to see how Provorov has more value.

Werenski i can see the argument for.

Because everyone sees that he put up more points, without using any context, so he's automatically better. Anyways, like i said, this isnt a Provorov or Werenski thread.

Last edited:

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So Werenski is on the verge of becoming something, but there's no basis to believe that Willy can do the same?

What has you believing that? The fact he makes everyone better? His ridiculous numbers as an 18/19 year old in the AHL? His time on the shutdown line? The fact his oish% was the same as goons/grinders/teams that had awful seasons? Yeah sounds like the guy will probably be a 60 point, 1 way winger his entire career. Oh wait, he's already better than that.

Just because you see it as 'being humble' doesn't mean it's correct.
Yeah I literally never said any of that regarding him only ever being a 1-way 60 point winger for the rest of his career. The key difference here is Werenski actually plays the defence position, how many games has Willy played at centre in the NHL? Not many. So while yes he's proven he is a 60 point winger and likely could be an 80 point winger someday, there are still major concerns about if he can play centre and if he can have a good 2-way game, especially at centre. We know he's a highly skilled player with a good shot and good skating. We don't know if he's cut out to be a centre or if he will ever have a great 2-way game. He needs to either become an 80 point winger or a great centre to be worth a guy like Werenski. You can have whatever opinion you'd like regarding Werenski, but at this point I would say he and Nylander are of similar ability at their positions. The only problem is no one is trading a Dman for a winger of equal ability at their position.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
Matthews/Nylander/Marner wont be traded lol. Its like saying McDavid/Draisaitl/Talbot will be traded, just will never happen, atleast not for a 3-4 years. If Leafs need D help i'm sure they will do it someway else.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Let's just all agree that you're wrong and leave it at that lol
My quote was Werenski is more valuable (slightly) than Nylander...you think that's wrong? Interesting....again, i think Willy is a fantastic player, i have no desire to move him. That said, Werenski also looks like a fantastic player, and defense holds more value than wing. It's just my opinion.

And honestly, not that i care whether people on an internet board consider my "opinion" right or wrong, i wonder what would happen if someone proposed Nylander for Werenski on the trade board.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
My quote was Werenski is more valuable (slightly) than Nylander...you think that's wrong? Interesting....again, i think Willy is a fantastic player, i have no desire to move him. That said, Werenski also looks like a fantastic player, and defense holds more value than wing. It's just my opinion.

And honestly, not that i care whether people on an internet board consider my "opinion" right or wrong, i wonder what would happen if someone proposed Nylander for Werenski on the trade board.

I do agree that ZW is more valuable than WN but I vehemently disagree with your views on proven/unproven at this point in time.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think you need to catch up with the discussion to be honest. Nobody has disagreed if someone thinks Werenski is more valuable then Nylander. There is another poster that took it to another level here that you seem to be missing entirely.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I'd rather let one walk in FA then downgrade that hard.
Are we still pretending like the Hall/Larson swap didn't work out fantastically for both teams?

If you're going to undersell what Larsson brings, and what he's proven... don't even bother pretending you know what you're talking about. But yes, the Oilers definitely downgraded hard. Hall is a great player but his style of play never would've fit in with this Oilers team.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I was not referring to you directly when I said that, I was talking about the thread. If you’ll look back, that was my very first post in this thread. You were the one who started arguing with me. You clearly state Drai=Matthews and that is very wrong, sorry. Have a good one dude, I’m done trying to discuss this with you in a civilized manner. When I have my poll privileges I will start the poll, and I guarantee you the results won’t be “slightly” in Matthews’ favour, peace out.
So you're going to start a disingenuous poll when it's been stated ad nausea that you're misinterpreting and purposefully twisting what was stated?

I think your poll privileges should be permanently revoked.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Are we still pretending like the Hall/Larson swap didn't work out fantastically for both teams?

If you're going to undersell what Larsson brings, and what he's proven... don't even bother pretending you know what you're talking about. But yes, the Oilers definitely downgraded hard. Hall is a great player but his style of play never would've fit in with this Oilers team.
I do agree that the trade has worked out well for both teams on the Hall/Larson front. I think the part that gets annoying(atleast on my end) is the people saying the Leafs will need to make a similar trade because of the trade you guys made....When that isn't even close to the truth. Very different situations.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I do agree that the trade has worked out well for both teams on the Hall/Larson front. I think the part that gets annoying(atleast on my end) is the people saying the Leafs will need to make a similar trade because of the trade you guys made....When that isn't even close to the truth. Very different situations.
No disagreement with you on that point.

Feb 24, 2017
Thanks for the crystal ball analysis Benning. But I prefer to deal with what's right in front of me.
And what is that? Because the poster I quoted crystal balled the Leafs having three superstars.

Is that your “here and now”?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think you need to catch up with the discussion to be honest. Nobody has disagreed if someone thinks Werenski is more valuable then Nylander. There is another poster that took it to another level here that you seem to be missing entirely.
Fair enough, just wasn't sure why people were calling me out...

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah I literally never said any of that regarding him only ever being a 1-way 60 point winger for the rest of his career. The key difference here is Werenski actually plays the defence position, how many games has Willy played at centre in the NHL? Not many. So while yes he's proven he is a 60 point winger and likely could be an 80 point winger someday, there are still major concerns about if he can play centre and if he can have a good 2-way game, especially at centre. We know he's a highly skilled player with a good shot and good skating. We don't know if he's cut out to be a centre or if he will ever have a great 2-way game. He needs to either become an 80 point winger or a great centre to be worth a guy like Werenski. You can have whatever opinion you'd like regarding Werenski, but at this point I would say he and Nylander are of similar ability at their positions. The only problem is no one is trading a Dman for a winger of equal ability at their position.
You are a little bit off on your analysis of Nylander imo. Last year he was probably the best player defensively out of Matthews and Marner (I mention them because people dont question their two way game). His two-way game is fine, and he actually is seeing some time at center this year with how Babcock is using Willy to take faceoffs on his side of the ice and Matthews vise versa.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Lost in all this, is that Nylander in his first partial NHL season played centre and excelled at it. Was moved to the wing because we got Matthews, he'll be back on C once Bozie's gone

And yes, he's at Matthews' level of 2 way game, Babcock did wonders looking at Nylander at the start of the season vs. Playoffs time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad