OT: Who are you rooting for in the playoffs?

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
I prefer Tampa so we can receive that 1st round pick next year as well as McD getting a ring.
Rooting hard against NJ, NYI, TOR, PIT
The rest of the teams can win and I don't care.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Not really. That team was well-structured with some great players they got in the Lindros trade.

Vegas only has depth players and prospects who developed into solid players in a single season

You're looking at the underlying factor. To the public, it was probably not great for league PR to have a team that just relocated and is unfamiliar winning the championship over established teams.

If VGK wins, it will be even more damaging to the league in terms of its credibility. How does a fresh expansion squad win the league championship? On the surface, it would make annual contenders look like fools. Cinderella story, yes. Credibility for the league, dashed.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont care about Tampa’s 1st round pick, i hope they lose. I hate that team and Stevie Y.

Rooting for Boston because i love Rick Nash and Winnipeg. Winnipeg would burn to the ground if they won

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Vegas' roster is what it is because of wacked expansion draft rules that forced teams to expose too many good players. That's the joke, IMO.
IMO their roster is still pretty terrible on paper. I don't really get the idea that they were handed such a great team. I would have bet anything they'd be garbage. The success they're having is pretty remarkable imo. I can't really think of a team that has done more with less in a long long time.

Reactions: shinchanyo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tampa.

If they're in the finals I expect this board to explode if they lose game 7 because of some bonehead play by JT.

I expect them to lose to Boston in game 7 of the conference semis.

Rick Nash butt move backhander deflects off of a needlessly sliding Callahan and into the net because Vasilevsky was being screened by an out of position Girardi.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Rooting for anything other than Boston and Tampa losing in round 1 this year is the wrong answer. Our bird in hand is this years pick. Root for that to be the best it can be.

Think about it. That will give us three top 20 picks and our own (probably) top 10 possibly top 5 pick.

Max out this year. Worry about Tampas 2019 first next year. Stack our picks and assets this year to get this rebuild in full swing

Reactions: pld459666

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Against Tampa and Boston. I want better picks.

Think we'd be better off hoping TB wins it this year. Guarantees the 1st next year and hope they bottom out.

Anyway I guess my order is...

TB, Vegas, Nashville, Winnipeg, Washington

I'd love to see Nash win a Cup with Boston, but my selfish interests want to see them lose in the first round so we get a better pick. Same with Grabner, but to hell with the Devils...hope they get swept in round 1 or miss the playoffs all together

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Rooting for anything other than Boston and Tampa losing in round 1 this year is the wrong answer. Our bird in hand is this years pick. Root for that to be the best it can be.

Think about it. That will give us three top 20 picks and our own (probably) top 10 possibly top 5 pick.

Max out this year. Worry about Tampas 2019 first next year. Stack our picks and assets this year to get this rebuild in full swing
The fact with the TB pick is, as unlikely as it is, there's some chance that next years first can be a decent pick if they suffer injuries, people regress etc. There is essentially no chance that this year's first from them is anything other than a very late first.

For NYR's max benefit, gotta hope TB wins this year and the wheels fall off somehow next year. Again, not likely, but not impossible. IMO it's very nearly impossible for them to be out in round 1 this year.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
PIT, PHI, NJ, TB, TOR, BOS, WPG can go f***.

Hoping for Nashville or SJ to avenge their recent losses.

Only team from the east i would be okay with is Washington.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
The fact with the TB pick is, as unlikely as it is, there's some chance that next years first can be a decent pick if they suffer injuries, people regress etc. There is essentially no chance that this year's first from them is anything other than a very late first.

For NYR's max benefit, gotta hope TB wins this year and the wheels fall off somehow next year. Again, not likely, but not impossible. IMO it's very nearly impossible for them to be out in round 1 this year.

The year after the 2012 Kings Stanley, didn’t they struggle to make the playoffs? And the Devils didn’t make the playoffs. All it takes is injuries. TB’s history is up and down making the playoffs. Unfortunately, that’s what makes what the Penguins have done rather impressive, although, I wonder how much they have in the tank for another long playoff run.

Reactions: haveandare

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Gorton is one of the few GMs who came out looking good from that. McPhee went with the overrated, uninjured guy instead of the injured, proven guy.
I don't know if I'd count the expansion draft as Gorton looking good. McPhee made a bad pick from NYR. The Rangers were a team that really couldn't be hurt by expansion. Worst case scenario, losing Grabner/Lindberg/Fast. That's not bad. So then maybe, kudos to Gorton for that? Or maybe shame on Gorton for the Rangers having such crap depth that an expansion draft wasn't an issue.

Really, you could toss and turn this situation to fit whatever narrative you want. Kind of fun, if you think about it :)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tampa. Would be so happy to see Mac, Girardi, Callahan, and Stralman lift the cup (in particular those first three). And I'm borderline obsessed with Kucherov, and love Stamkos, Hedman, Serge, Point, Johnson, Palat, etc.

Only downside is it would mean Kunitz wins again :thumbd:

I've put a bigger stake in Tampa over the last 5 years since we purchased a seasonal home south of Tampa. So have been to a lot of games down there. But yeah to see those ex-Rangers win a cup would really be the next best thing for myself. Hopefully in a couple of years Rangers will be contenders again.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

No way. Teams don’t get pushed unless they make the conference final. You’re not talking about a top 20 pick from them. 25th at best. Compared to winning the Cup, which is only 6 picks lower than that.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I dont care about Tampa’s 1st round pick, i hope they lose. I hate that team and Stevie Y.

Rooting for Boston because i love Rick Nash and Winnipeg. Winnipeg would burn to the ground if they won
Yeah for some reason I'm really hoping Nash does well and maybe even wins a Cup in Boston. Don't really feel the same about McDonagh, Miller, etc.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't know if I'd count the expansion draft as Gorton looking good. McPhee made a bad pick from NYR. The Rangers were a team that really couldn't be hurt by expansion. Worst case scenario, losing Grabner/Lindberg/Fast. That's not bad. So then maybe, kudos to Gorton for that? Or maybe shame on Gorton for the Rangers having such crap depth that an expansion draft wasn't an issue.

Really, you could toss and turn this situation to fit whatever narrative you want. Kind of fun, if you think about it :)

This is true.

"The GMs in the league are terrible: look at who they exposed."

"The GMs in the league are amazing: look at the depth their teams were forced to expose."

I like the majority of what Gorton has done so far, so I probably tend towards seeing things in that light. My only big issue is not firing AV before the start of the season so we could of seen the roster under a different coach.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I expect them to lose to Boston in game 7 of the conference semis.

Rick Nash butt move backhander deflects off of a needlessly sliding Callahan and into the net because Vasilevsky was being screened by an out of position Girardi.

latest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad