What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
#7 + guy with potential but torn ACL + rookie who had a terrible season for Butler + #16

Apparently Danny even said on a radio show that he thinks Minnesota gave up too much. Dude seems senile.

Yea because he thought they'd keep Butler if they didn't take one of his awful trade offers. Now his conference rival has him to go along with their star PF/C and young star SF.

How the f do you consider this " half price " ????

# 3 pick from Boston vs # 7 pick from Minnesota plus the 13th pick from the 2013 Draft ( LaVine ) and the # 5 pick ( Dunn ) from last year's draft.

Celts could have thrown in say Bradley and Crowder (something along those lines) to sweeten the pot. & Virtanen has a good explanation of the trade offer.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
To top the offer from Minnesota, Boston wouldn't even have had to include Bradley or Crowder. A combo of #3 pick, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown would've done it. I get that Boston wants to be good now and build for the future, but if you're lucky one of your picks will turn into a guy like Butler. With Cleveland in disarray and likely a year away from losing Lebron, I think this would've been a perfect move for Boston

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
How the f do you consider this " half price " ????

# 3 pick from Boston vs # 7 pick from Minnesota plus the 13th pick from the 2013 Draft ( LaVine ) and the # 5 pick ( Dunn ) from last year's draft.

This was absolutely half price for Butler. Dunn is likely nothing more than a backup PG, Lavine's value is tied entirely to his athleticism and is coming off a major injury and the 7 pick is decent but they also had to trade their own pick. Terrible deal for Chicago and even worse that Boston wouldn't top it.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Lauri didn't go 3rd?

No he didn't. He went to the team who trade their star player because they are able to recognize how huge talent Markkanen has. That same team has always been my favorite team so this way was even better. I think Lauri fits very well to Bulls and their system to play the game. I think he will really compete about rookie of the year.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
What makes him fit the Bulls' system? Don't the Bulls normally stress defense? Seems like Lauri "Can't Guard Anyone Over 200 Lbs" Markkanen will have a fun time riding some pine.

Also I'm pretty sure the trade was finalized prior to the draft so the Bulls had no idea that Markkanen specifically would be available. Of course, they could be pretty sure because he wasn't a top 6 talent, but that's not the point.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
What makes him fit the Bulls' system? Don't the Bulls normally stress defense? Seems like Lauri "Can't Guard Anyone Over 200 Lbs" Markkanen will have a fun time riding some pine.

Also I'm pretty sure the trade was finalized prior to the draft so the Bulls had no idea that Markkanen specifically would be available. Of course, they could be pretty sure because he wasn't a top 6 talent, but that's not the point.

Hoiberg likes to run very fast pace shooting offense, but issue was that they didn't have even one player who can really shoot the 3. Answer to the problem comes from Lauri. Bulls needed shooter and Markkanen was the best shooter at whole draft, including point guards and shooting guards. I think his style fits perfect to Bulls offense. Lauri also has very special footwork for 7 footer which makes it easier to defense at future. He won't be the next Kevin Garnett but it's pretty absurd to say that he can't guard anyone over 200 lbs. Also think that there isn't many 7 footer's who can dribble his way to the basket like Markkanen does.

I don't have idea about that, but anyway Markkanen was just what they've been looking for.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Hoiberg likes to run very fast pace shooting offense, but issue was that they didn't have even one player who can really shoot the 3. Answer to the problem comes from Lauri. Bulls needed shooter and Markkanen was the best shooter at whole draft, including point guards and shooting guards. I think his style fits perfect to Bulls offense. Lauri also has very special footwork for 7 footer which makes it easier to defense at future. He won't be the next Kevin Garnett but it's pretty absurd to say that he can't guard anyone over 200 lbs. Also think that there isn't many 7 footer's who can dribble his way to the basket like Markkanen does.

I don't have idea about that, but anyway Markkanen was just what they've been looking for.

McDermott shot better in college than Markkanen did by a fair margin. Kennard outshot Markkanen. Footwork didn't help him guard in college when he was backed down with ease often. And outmuscled. And that wasn't against men. It was against other college players. Fine, maybe not 200 lbs, but 220. So wait, does Markkanen fit the Bulls because he's a spot up shooter or because he's good at driving?

I do. I was right. There's a reason they offered Butler for the #3. It's not because they wanted to make sure they got Markkanen.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No he didn't. He went to the team who trade their star player because they are able to recognize how huge talent Markkanen has. That same team has always been my favorite team so this way was even better. I think Lauri fits very well to Bulls and their system to play the game. I think he will really compete about rookie of the year.
:laugh: Drunk again?

Between this and the Patrik Laine discussion, you're either the most delusional sports fan ever, or you're HF's GOAT troll.... Seriously, give it up. Post after post you prove you have no idea what you're talking about.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
McDermott shot better in college than Markkanen did by a fair margin. Kennard outshot Markkanen. Footwork didn't help him guard in college when he was backed down with ease often. And outmuscled. And that wasn't against men. It was against other college players. Fine, maybe not 200 lbs, but 220. So wait, does Markkanen fit the Bulls because he's a spot up shooter or because he's good at driving?

I do. I was right. There's a reason they offered Butler for the #3. It's not because they wanted to make sure they got Markkanen.

No they didn't. Doug McDermott shot 0.405, Luke Kennard shot 0.318 at their freshman year and Lauri beat them by making 0.423 from 3pt line. His numbers was even better before Trier came in. He made pretty solid job as a defender in college and he is definitely going to improve at future as a defender. He is very solid shooter who has much more skills in his pocket. He has pretty solid ball-handling for player his size and if he can improve it even more, special thinks start to happen. Everything at his game helps Bulls success in future. He is much more than spot up shooter.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
No they didn't. Doug McDermott shot 0.405, Luke Kennard shot 0.318 at their freshman year and Lauri beat them by making 0.423 from 3pt line. His numbers was even better before Trier came in. He made pretty solid job as a defender in college and he is definitely going to improve at future as a defender. He is very solid shooter who has much more skills in his pocket. He has pretty solid ball-handling for player his size and if he can improve it even more, special thinks start to happen. Everything at his game helps Bulls success in future. He is much more than spot up shooter.

Okay what did they shoot in their draft years? It's concerning too that markkanen apparently cant play well unless he's the focus. He wasn't good defensively either.

I mean sure. If he completely improves his game, yeah he could be special. If I threw 98 with movement and a killer curve, I could be in the MLB.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Is that really why they did the trade though?

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

But you told me he wouldnt go past 3rd, what happened?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Okay what did they shoot in their draft years? It's concerning too that markkanen apparently cant play well unless he's the focus. He wasn't good defensively either.

I mean sure. If he completely improves his game, yeah he could be special. If I threw 98 with movement and a killer curve, I could be in the MLB.

It's totally different scenario when they have been longer in college. By the way Lauri shot 50% from 3pt line before Trier came in. It's pretty hard to keep numbers up when Trier kills most of offense with his one-man show. He was good enough to success in NBA.

He is a 19-year old player and he has still long way to reach his ceiling. It's ridiculous that people seems to think like 19-year old player can't improve very much :laugh::laugh: He is one-and-done player. Come on.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's totally different scenario when they have been longer in college. By the way Lauri shot 50% from 3pt line before Trier came in. It's pretty hard to keep numbers up when Trier kills most of offense with his one-man show. He was good enough to success in NBA.

He is a 19-year old player and he has still long way to reach his ceiling. It's ridiculous that people seems to think like 19-year old player can't improve very much :laugh::laugh: He is one-and-done player. Come on.

Good enough to success in the NBA what does that even mean? And okay. So you're saying markkanen is a bad shooter unless he's the focus of the offense? Hm. That doesn't sound good.

Sure he could improve. Or he could not. It's not like him being 19 just guarantees he gets better.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Good enough to success in the NBA what does that even mean? And okay. So you're saying markkanen is a bad shooter unless he's the focus of the offense? Hm. That doesn't sound good.

Sure he could improve. Or he could not. It's not like him being 19 just guarantees he gets better.

It means his defense is enough for NBA. Never said that. I was only saying that Markkanen could have even better numbers at his time in his College without Mr One-Man Show. Trier has huge skill set and he is decent player but he doesn't have vision for the game. He takes stupid contested shots from 3pt line when his teammates are clearly open for better look. Trier would beat anyone in street basketball but if he doesn't learn how to play with team he won't make it in NBA.

No it doesn't but usually 19 year old players improve more than older players. He has huge work ethic, which helps him to improve. I give you example about his work ethic; when he was kid he was shooting the basketball outdoor even there was freaking cold and raining snow.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It means his defense is enough for NBA. Never said that. I was only saying that Markkanen could have even better numbers at his time in his College without Mr One-Man Show. Trier has huge skill set and he is decent player but he doesn't have vision for the game. He takes stupid contested shots from 3pt line when his teammates are clearly open for better look. Trier would beat anyone in street basketball but if he doesn't learn how to play with team he won't make it in NBA.

No it doesn't but usually 19 year old players improve more than older players. He has huge work ethic, which helps him to improve. I give you example about his work ethic; when he was kid he was shooting the basketball outdoor even there was freaking cold and raining snow.

But it isn't. He can't guard college midsized bigs and he'll be guarding NBA bigs. So Markkanen needs someone else to feed him the ball and can't create his own shots? Of course, he was 1 of 6 from 3 against Xavier. Did he just not have enough shots there? What about 0/5 against Arizona State? 2/9 overall against Stanford? Hell, he was 3/12 against Grand Canyon. Obviously inconsistency isn't that unusual for a young player, but don't act like he's some godsend when he's clearly a flawed player.

There's no point in continuing this argument. All of his flaws, which are a fair amount, are either Trier's fault, conclusively ruled out, or are going to be magically fixed because work ethic. I don't know which of those three cover the fact that he's simply not strong and his frame is slight, but I think maybe that's Trier's fault? Did Trier hog all the food once he got back from injury, too?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
But it isn't. He can't guard college midsized bigs and he'll be guarding NBA bigs. So Markkanen needs someone else to feed him the ball and can't create his own shots? Of course, he was 1 of 6 from 3 against Xavier. Did he just not have enough shots there? What about 0/5 against Arizona State? 2/9 overall against Stanford? Hell, he was 3/12 against Grand Canyon. Obviously inconsistency isn't that unusual for a young player, but don't act like he's some godsend when he's clearly a flawed player.

There's no point in continuing this argument. All of his flaws, which are a fair amount, are either Trier's fault, conclusively ruled out, or are going to be magically fixed because work ethic. I don't know which of those three cover the fact that he's simply not strong and his frame is slight, but I think maybe that's Trier's fault? Did Trier hog all the food once he got back from injury, too?

Yes he can. He just doesn't feel that comfortable guarding them because this it's his first season in America. Before that he has played against very trash players in Finland. Basketball is a team game and Power Forwards doesn't create that much shots. But as we seen in the college Markkanen is able to do that. He had shooting slump at one point of the season, which happens to everyone at every sport like Laine or Matthews. I'm not acting like he is already perfect player, he definitely has long way to go. But i still think that scouts made huge mistake with his potential. Lauri already hit the GYM in Chicago and is still growing to his body. Everyone at age of 19 has flaws.

Trier wasn't injured, he was suspended for using doping. I'm not saying anything is his fault but you should compare Lauri numbers before and after Trier came in. This ain't a rocket science man. He didn't hog the food but he did hog the ball.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Yes he can. He just doesn't feel that comfortable guarding them because this it's his first season in America. Before that he has played against very trash players in Finland. Basketball is a team game and Power Forwards doesn't create that much shots. But as we seen in the college Markkanen is able to do that. He had shooting slump at one point of the season, which happens to everyone at every sport like Laine or Matthews. I'm not acting like he is already perfect player, he definitely has long way to go. But i still think that scouts made huge mistake with his potential. Lauri already hit the GYM in Chicago and is still growing to his body. Everyone at age of 19 has flaws.

Trier wasn't injured, he was suspended for using doping. I'm not saying anything is his fault but you should compare Lauri numbers before and after Trier came in. This ain't a rocket science man. He didn't hog the food but he did hog the ball.

How do you know he can? He's never shown that ability. He doesn't have good feet defensively. He isn't strong down low and his frame isn't made to put on a ton more muscle. He doesn't play above the rim. He's not good defensively. He's never shown the ability to be good defensively (except maybe against other Finnish bigs??). Except for the ones that do. Because they have multiple skills. That's what makes Davis so good. That's what makes Dirk so good. That's what made Duncan so good. Those games weren't in order, so a slump is hardly to blame. So wait. I thought he was gonna be ROY? Now it's just his potential? Choose an argument.

My bad, I misremembered. Maybe he should have shared with Lauri so Markkanen could actually add some muscle.

Markkanen before Trier came back averaged 17 pts a game, shot 52% (49% from 3), and had 7.5 rebounds.
Markkanen after Trier came back averaged 14 pts a game, shot 46% (34% from 3), and had 7 rebounds. He averaged about one whole field goal attempt fewer after Trier came back. I don't know how Trier coming back suddenly made Markkanen a worse shooter, but i think your blame is misguided.

Of course, before Trier came back, Arizona played big time schools like Grand Canyon, Sacred Heart, CSU-Bakersfield, Northern Colorado, and Santa Clara. To be fair, they did play North Dakota after Trier came back.

I'm actually done with this. We'll come back at the end of the season.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
How do you know he can? He's never shown that ability. He doesn't have good feet defensively. He isn't strong down low and his frame isn't made to put on a ton more muscle. He doesn't play above the rim. He's not good defensively. He's never shown the ability to be good defensively (except maybe against other Finnish bigs??). Except for the ones that do. Because they have multiple skills. That's what makes Davis so good. That's what makes Dirk so good. That's what made Duncan so good. Those games weren't in order, so a slump is hardly to blame. So wait. I thought he was gonna be ROY? Now it's just his potential? Choose an argument.

My bad, I misremembered. Maybe he should have shared with Lauri so Markkanen could actually add some muscle.

Markkanen before Trier came back averaged 17 pts a game, shot 52% (49% from 3), and had 7.5 rebounds.
Markkanen after Trier came back averaged 14 pts a game, shot 46% (34% from 3), and had 7 rebounds. He averaged about one whole field goal attempt fewer after Trier came back. I don't know how Trier coming back suddenly made Markkanen a worse shooter, but i think your blame is misguided.

Of course, before Trier came back, Arizona played big time schools like Grand Canyon, Sacred Heart, CSU-Bakersfield, Northern Colorado, and Santa Clara. To be fair, they did play North Dakota after Trier came back.

I'm actually done with this. We'll come back at the end of the season.

I've seen him dribble his way to the basket many times. He can also make space for his jumper. If you can't recognize what he is doing then we don't have much to discuss about. He is young player and he could definitely add some more muscle to his frame. His feet is excellent for player his size. He can play above the rim if needed, but that wasn't his role in Arizona. He has been our better defenders in european championships against older guys. Think with all those players you mentioned is that they have grown to the players who they are today.

Trier is very hard player to play with. He is elite ball-handler who doesn't know how to pass. Markkanen had much better looks before Trier came in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00