What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lauri-markkanen

You're flat out wrong. I'm not sure if you're biased or just clueless, but you're wrong. Given that you're one of the guys calling Patrik Laine generational and comparing him to Mario Lemieux, I think it's a little of both.

Those are only words and they don't match what i've seen with my eyes. These NBA scouts doesn't have experience about players like Markkanen so they don't know a **** about his potential. With the video i posted has very good arguments why Lauri is going to make it in NBA.

You think that Markkanen doesn't even make it in NBA and i think that he scores over 20 PPG in future without defensive issues. Lets see man, lets see. Patrik Laine is definitely generational player and only idiot can't see that. Mario plays different place so there's nothing to compare.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Rofl :laugh::laugh:. If you don't like my username, than you have the a chance to change it if your think he isn't going past number 3. It's ok though, you don't have it in you to back up what you posting.

Let's make it this way, if Markkanen finish Top-3 of rookies at end of the season i change your username, if he doesn't you can change mine. Top-3 = Rookie of the year nomine. Ball is in your hands bro.

By the way everyone probably still remembers what they said about Porzingis? Exactly.

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Danny Ainge is an idiot. When was the last time the Celtics had a chance to draft the consensus number one player? He had a chance at the best player in the draft and blew it because he wanted more assets for the future. He's got an incredibly young line up right now. Adding more future assets doesn't help. Fultz is going to be a bonafide superstar and Ainge traded that away. I don't get why people think he's some sort of genius.

If the Celtics end up with the #2 pick next year or the 1st pick in '19, is Ainge still an idiot?

You're setting yourself up to look pretty foolish a year or two from now if things work out in Boston's favour

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
here are my personal rankings (not based on teams)

1. fultz
2. ball
3. jackson
4. fox
5. tatum
6. monk
7. isaac
8. smith jr.
9. ntilikina
10. markkanen
11. leaf

after that idk

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Those are only words and they don't match what i've seen with my eyes. These NBA scouts doesn't have experience about players like Markkanen so they don't know a **** about his potential. With the video i posted has very good arguments why Lauri is going to make it in NBA.

You think that Markkanen doesn't even make it in NBA and i think that he scores over 20 PPG in future without defensive issues. Lets see man, lets see. Patrik Laine is definitely generational player and only idiot can't see that. Mario plays different place so there's nothing to compare.

NBA scouts don't have experience scouting division 1 ball? And you know better than them? :laugh:

I never said he won't make the league. He'll almost certainly spend time on a roster next year, I just don't see him as the best player in the draft as you've suggested. There's always a place for guys who consistently knock down shots. He'll be able to space the floor and teams will utilize that... I just don't see him as a star like you do, and know he'll likely have to be hidden on defense.

Defensive upside is often measured by motor, IQ and length/athleticism. He's not exceptional in any of those categories and based on how he's looked against some of the bigger and more physical college players, that's definitely a cause for concern.

“There’s an important opportunity cost to playing Markkanen… it’s one thing to say ‘he’s a generational shooter who will be bad on D,’ but it’s important to remember that the reason you play guys who are Mankkanen’s size, and the expectation from the power forward and center position, is that you’re generating most of your defense from those positons. So saying he’s ‘bad at defense’ is a bigger deal because you’re opting to play someone who is actively bad over than someone who will be helping to generate your defensiv value.â€
- Cole Zwicker

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
NBA scouts don't have experience scouting division 1 ball? And you know better than them? :laugh:

I never said he won't make the league. He'll almost certainly spend time on a roster next year, I just don't see him as the best player in the draft as you've suggested. There's always a place for guys who consistently knock down shots. He'll be able to space the floor and teams will utilize that... I just don't see him as a star like you do, and know he'll likely have to be hidden on defense.

Defensive upside is often measured by motor, IQ and length/athleticism. He's not exceptional in any of those categories and based on how he's looked against some of the bigger and more physical college players, that's definitely a cause for concern.

- Cole Zwicker

Yes, if they can't recognize that this was his first season against players who are at his level. He made huge improve at his defense from beginning of the season and i'm expecting that improve to continue in future.

I really think he has potential to be the best player in the draft. We will see what is going to happen, but i trust my man Lauri.

You should also notice the fact that most of those players was two years older than Lauri. And almost everyone from those players has played most of their career against better players than Lauri has.

Level of basketball is very bad in Finland. We don't have any player who is even near of Lauri's level.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Let's make it this way, if Markkanen finish Top-3 of rookies at end of the season i change your username, if he doesn't you can change mine. Top-3 = Rookie of the year nomine. Ball is in your hands bro.

By the way everyone probably still remembers what they said about Porzingis? Exactly.

Much less was known about Porzingis because of where he played in his draft year. Playing Pac-12, Markkanen isn't hiding from anyone.

Aside from that, Kris can protect the rim and rebound far, far better then Markkanen. Furthermore, he has a low post game and much better court vision. He has a far more elaborate tool box at both ends of the floor and there's really no debate.

Zingis is a 7'3 ball player, Markkanen is a 7' shooter. They're both white Europeans, and the similarities pretty much end there.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Much less was known about Porzingis because of where he played in his draft year. Playing Pac-12, Markkanen isn't hiding from anyone.

Aside from that, Kris can protect the rim and rebound far, far better then Markkanen. Furthermore, he has a low post game and much better court vision. He has a far more elaborate tool box at both ends of the floor and there's really no debate.

Zingis is a 7'3 ball player, Markkanen is a 7' shooter. They're both white Europeans, and the similarities pretty much end there.

Last sentence seal the deal. You will see how good Markanen is at next season and i'm really ready to make a bet with anyone that he finish among top-3 rookies.

By the way Markkanen is way better shooter than Porzingis. He scored over 50 % from 3 pt line before Trier came in. Trier one-man show was issue at times.

He will learn to protect the rim and play the low post game at NBA level, it could take some time because he is rookie from Finland but it's still going to happen.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Last sentence seal the deal. You will see how good Markanen is at next season and i'm really ready to make a bet with anyone that he finish among top-3 rookies.

By the way Markkanen is way better shooter than Porzingis. He scored over 50 % from 3 pt line before Trier came in. Trier one-man show was issue at times.

He will learn to protect the rim and play the low post game at NBA level, it could take some time because he is rookie from Finland but it's still going to happen.

Maybe he will be top 3 in ROY voting - a lot of that will depend on where he goes, and how some of the other top picks are utilized.

He's a great shooter, don't get me wrong, but at 7' he's expected to do certain things that he just can't do. His core is weak, hands are small, arms are short (for his size compared to other 7' NBA players) he doesn't anticipate well, he's not a great leaper and he seems to lack the toughness required to match up against some of the more physical front court players.

Shaq will be calling BBQ chicken alert every time his man gets the ball.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Markannen just has too many question marks. He's an elite shooter for his size but his athleticism and defense are suspect at best. Porzingis was a far more complete prospect coming into the draft. I think Markannen's success in this league is going to depend on which team drafts him and how he gets used early on.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I would be surprised if Markkenen doesn't go in the top 10, but I will be more surprised if he goes in the top 5. I think he actually might not be a bad fit for Boston but #3 would be a real reach (we are talking about Ainge here though, so ymmv).

Certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Dallas, they have some experience with 7 footers who can knock down shots. Basically if a team is looking for a stretch-4 he could be their guy.

Last edited:

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I would be surprised if Markkenen doesn't go in the top 10, but I will be more surprised if he goes in the top 5. I think he actually might not be a bad fit for Boston but #3 would be a real reach (we are talking about Ainge here though, so ymmv).

Certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in Dallas, they have some experienced with 7 footers who can knock down shots. Basically if a team is looking for a stretch-4 he could be their guy.

Yea he actually would be a nice fit in Boston alongside Horford but that would be a massive reach at 3, even for Ainge.

Honestly I think I prefer Zach Collins as a prospect. He showed he can do a little bit of everything in his time at Gonzaga and was probably their 2nd best player all year behind William-Goss. He doesn't have quite the shooting ability as Markannen but he can stretch the floor a bit and is a superior defensive player at the moment.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Boston is picking Josh Jackson. End of story. Then they can trade/sign a star like Butler/George/Hayward.

Not with the craptastic packages Ainge has been offering to Indy/CHI.

Besides, not sure he wants to trade a bunch of assets for one season of George in the hope adding him might get you past the Cavs.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Markannen just has too many question marks. He's an elite shooter for his size but his athleticism and defense are suspect at best. Porzingis was a far more complete prospect coming into the draft. I think Markannen's success in this league is going to depend on which team drafts him and how he gets used early on.

Somehow I would love for the Lakers to take him instead of Ball, and get George, Westbrook and Lebron.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Somehow I would love for the Lakers to take him instead of Ball, and get George, Westbrook and Lebron.

I'm not sure what the correlation is between the Lakers taking Markannen over Ball and getting George, Westbrook, Lebron but whatever. Won't be possible for Lakers to get Westbrook after signing George and Lebron.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I'm not sure what the correlation is between the Lakers taking Markannen over Ball and getting George, Westbrook, Lebron but whatever. Won't be possible for Lakers to get Westbrook after signing George and Lebron.

I agree with this, but I don't think Westbrook will stay in Oklahoma after next year. Ball and Westbrook both are hybrid PGs. Ball will be great but do the lakers want to win now?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
They are probably trading two places down, because they are going to pick Lauri Markkanen and they want to be sure that no one else takes him first. Markkanen is going to play at Boston Celtics. Mark this up.

Lol.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Ainge pretty much just watched Jimmy Butler get traded at half price. Nice one!

How the f do you consider this " half price " ????

# 3 pick from Boston vs # 7 pick from Minnesota plus the 13th pick from the 2013 Draft ( LaVine ) and the # 5 pick ( Dunn ) from last year's draft.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
#7 + guy with potential but torn ACL + rookie who had a terrible season for Butler + #16

Apparently Danny even said on a radio show that he thinks Minnesota gave up too much. Dude seems senile.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Ainge is going to have to do something with those picks at some point.

Being patient is fine, but you have way too much capital to sit on all of it

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Ainge is going to have to do something with those picks at some point.

Being patient is fine, but you have way too much capital to sit on all of it

Well he did try to get Paul George during the draft and there's always DeMarcus Cousins who is a FA in 2018 that could be traded for sometime down the line.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well he did try to get Paul George during the draft and there's always DeMarcus Cousins who is a FA in 2018 that could be traded for sometime down the line.

Ainge isn't going to do a thing. The guy is just going to continue hoarding picks while not getting an actual star on his team.

He had the ability to trade for either Jimmy Butler or Paul George, and if that happened I'm certain a guy like Gordon Hayward would come to Boston but he didn't bother putting a good enough package together to land either player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad