What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
And now Boston's assload of stockpiled picks gets an addition to the pile.

At some point the Celtics will realize they actually have to do something with those picks, right? Besides using them to laugh at Billy King that is.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
What ever man, no one should be surprised after Markkanen is way better player than Fultz or Ball in future. Arizona coach said he was the most ready player for NBA he ever seen on the team and he also said that his style fits better for NBA than College Basketball.

7 foot spot up shooters are a a rare thing. He can't defend, not a very good rebounder and he just looks weak and soft... Time will tell what type of player he'll be, if he's one at all. At 7' you're expected to rebound and protect the rim to earn minutes... Will he be a liability in that sense? How does he defend the paint at 220lbs?

Unique is the best word to describe him. Not trying to rain on your parade, but there's a lot of questions about him. Maybe you're new, but teams love taking 7 foot white guys high in the draft - Markkanen would be no exception if he had more game.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
And now Boston's assload of stockpiled picks gets an addition to the pile.

It really is kind of crazy at just how many future 1st round picks Trader Danny has now stockpiled:

2017 Draft: # 3 pick from Philadelphia

2018 Draft: Boston pick, Brooklyn pick ( unprotected ) and LA Lakers pick ( if it falls between 2 and 5 )

2019 Draft: Boston pick, Sacramento pick ( unprotected if Boston doesn't get Lakers 2018 1st round pick ), LA Clippers pick ( top 14 protected ) and Memphis pick ( top 8 protected )

2020 Draft: Boston pick, LA Clippers pick ( top 14 protected if not used in 2019 ) and Memphis pick ( top 6 protected if not used in 2019 )

2021 Draft: Boston pick and Memphis pick ( unprotected if not used in 2020 )

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
7 foot spot up shooters are a a rare thing. He can't defend, not a very good rebounder and he just looks weak and soft... Time will tell what type of player he'll be, if he's one at all. At 7' you're expected to rebound and protect the rim to earn minutes... Will he be a liability in that sense? How does he defend the paint at 220lbs?

Unique is the best word to describe him. Not trying to rain on your parade, but there's a lot of questions about him. Maybe you're new, but teams love taking 7 foot white guys high in the draft - Markkanen would be no exception if he had more game.

Yes they are rare thing but they are also future of NBA. His defense is underrated. Can't see him doing anything special at defense but he will do his part for sure, he has good laterall quickness and i just can't see him killing teams defense. He moves very well side-to-side. How he looks weak and soft? He is pretty strong player with big muscles and it's only going to get better. Everyone should remember he is one and done player and those players usually improve pretty much. If he gets good center to play with special thinks start to happen.

DBP4Cf_XcAAUPTU.jpg

Weak and soft? Hell no.

Last edited:

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016

I want to know where this bad defender argument comes from? Have you ever seen his defense with your own eyes? Or are you just watching the stats about steals or blocks? If your the stats guy we don't have anything to discuss about. His defense lean on other thinks.

This is borne out by his quite favorable defensive rating of 100.4 which ranks him better than Lonzo Ball, Malik Monk, Dennis Smith Jr. and Markelle Fultz. © The Sixers Sense

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
As a Boston fan, not sure what I think of trading the pick. I think we got good value, I like stockpiling more firsts, and a PG at the top of the draft is a hard sell for a team that has some good PGs already. If only there was a Duncan available this year.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yes they are rare thing but they are also future of NBA. His defense is underrated. Can't see him doing anything special at defense but he will do his part for sure, he has good laterall quickness and i just can't see him killing teams defense. He moves very well side-to-side. How he looks weak and soft? He is pretty strong player with big muscles and it's only going to get better. Everyone should remember he is one and done player and those players usually improve pretty much. If he gets good center to play with special thinks start to happen.

DBP4Cf_XcAAUPTU.jpg

Weak and soft? Hell no.
He gets consistently outmuscled by college bigs, what do you think will happen in the NBA?

7 foot spot up shooters are the future? One dimensional big men who can't do what big men are supposed to, are the future? Gtfo. Bigs like KAT and Boogie are the future.

Lateral movement is great, but he won't be defending off the bounce at the perimeter often. Yeah, it's great he can switch onto guards, but he can't guard his position? Again, he gets lost guarding other stretch 4s, and watching him try to defend the interior is painful.

His defense and basketball IQ are not NBA calibre and many scouts wonder if it ever will be. Most scouts agree he doesn't have much defensive upside. Athleticism is mediocre at best, and his anticipation doesn't make up for his short comings.

That's great that you think he looks strong, but when his coach consistently had him guarding smaller and weaker players, that speaks for itself. He got dominated in college by good, strong players and the same will happen in the NBA.

He should stay in school.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
He gets consistently outmuscled by college bigs, what do you think will happen in the NBA?

7 foot spot up shooters are the future? One dimensional big men who can't do what big men are supposed to, are the future? Gtfo. Bigs like KAT and Boogie are the future.

Lateral movement is great, but he won't be defending off the bounce at the perimeter often. Yeah, it's great he can switch onto guards, but he can't guard his position? Again, he gets lost guarding other stretch 4s, and watching him try to defend the interior is painful.

His defense and basketball IQ are not NBA calibre and many scouts wonder if it ever will be. Most scouts agree he doesn't have much defensive upside. Athleticism is mediocre at best, and his anticipation doesn't make up for his short comings.

That's great that you think he looks strong, but when his coach consistently had him guarding smaller and weaker players, that speaks for itself. He got dominated in college by good, strong players and the same will happen in the NBA.

He should stay in school.

You don't know what your talking about. Arizona coach said that he is most ready NBA player that he has ever seen on the team and he also said that Lauri suits better for NBA than College Basketball.

He definitely could do what big men suppose to do and you will see that soon as next season. He will handle the defense very well at NBA level that's never going to be a issue. It's fun how you don't notice that he can defense.

He didn't got dominated, we've been watching totally different games. He handle his role very well and it was usually other players mistakes why they lost their games. Allonzo Trier was the reason why Lauri had little bit monkey on his back at end of the season. Before he came back Lauri was leading player on the team. Win after win. Before Trier came in.

You should know that Lauri comes from Finland and he hasn't face that much good level offense but don't underestimate his potential at defense. He has enough vision for NBA and never seen any scout say anything like that.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I see Markkanen as a good player but not a star. Probably gets picked in 6-10 range.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Danny Ainge is an idiot. When was the last time the Celtics had a chance to draft the consensus number one player? He had a chance at the best player in the draft and blew it because he wanted more assets for the future. He's got an incredibly young line up right now. Adding more future assets doesn't help. Fultz is going to be a bonafide superstar and Ainge traded that away. I don't get why people think he's some sort of genius.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stupid move by the Sixers. Fultz will be good but your not getting a Davis/Towns/Irving type of guy when you draft him IMO. But I guess theres pressure for them to start improving.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Danny Ainge is an idiot. When was the last time the Celtics had a chance to draft the consensus number one player? He had a chance at the best player in the draft and blew it because he wanted more assets for the future. He's got an incredibly young line up right now. Adding more future assets doesn't help. Fultz is going to be a bonafide superstar and Ainge traded that away. I don't get why people think he's some sort of genius.

Agreed. He pretty much got lucky that Prokhorov was desperate to field a team with some sort of star power/that could contend for the playoffs and forced Billy King to get it done. Without that, the C's are in no mans land right now. He also got incredibly lucky ten years ago when Garnett basically forced his way to Boston.

Would have been smarter to draft Fultz and then let IT walk in a year/trade him now at peak value, when he evidently asks for a max contract.

Ainge thinks the 29 other GMs are idiots and are going to accept his ****** trade offers of draft picks and bench players for their Butler's and George's.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You don't know what your talking about. Arizona coach said that he is most ready NBA player that he has ever seen on the team and he also said that Lauri suits better for NBA than College Basketball.

He definitely could do what big men suppose to do and you will see that soon as next season. He will handle the defense very well at NBA level that's never going to be a issue. It's fun how you don't notice that he can defense.

He didn't got dominated, we've been watching totally different games. He handle his role very well and it was usually other players mistakes why they lost their games. Allonzo Trier was the reason why Lauri had little bit monkey on his back at end of the season. Before he came back Lauri was leading player on the team. Win after win. Before Trier came in.

You should know that Lauri comes from Finland and he hasn't face that much good level offense but don't underestimate his potential at defense. He has enough vision for NBA and never seen any scout say anything like that.
Your scouting report on Markkanen is about as accurate as your scouting report on LeBron. The message from the scouts is pretty consistent yet it's in stark contrast to yours.

Hmmmmm :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The 76ers with a core of Embiid, Simmons, and Fultz is going to be the next OKC circa 2009-2012. Let's just hope they don't mess this up the way Sam Presti did.

The Celtics are idiotic right now. I love IT but I don't think he's the guy you need to topple Cleveland in terms of a main piece. The supporting cast around him isn't nearly good enough to beat the Cavs, either, so why not build around Fultz and Jaylen Brown?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
trade down, apparently :laugh:

i'm a minnesota fan. who will we draft? i think we will take jonathan isaac.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Your scouting report on Markkanen is about as accurate as your scouting report on LeBron. The message from the scouts is pretty consistent yet it's in stark contrast to yours.

Hmmmmm :laugh:

Still better than your report which included false statements. Can you give me a example about that kind of message?

Already gave you example how good Markkanen is;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFFRkGhPg0

If Boston Celtics somehow skips him (very unlikely to happen) then he is going to Dallas.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Still better than your report which included false statements. Can you give me a example about that kind of message?

If Boston Celtics somehow skips him (very unlikely to happen) then he is going to Dallas.
Let's make a username bet. If he drops lower than 3, I get to pick your username. If not you can pick mine.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Let's make a username bet. If he drops lower than 3, I get to pick your username. If not you can pick mine.

Naah man, nothing personal against you, just don't like your username. If you put your moderator license on the table we can start to negoatiate about deal.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Boston is picking Josh Jackson. End of story. Then they can trade/sign a star like Butler/George/Hayward.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

As skilled as Markkanen is on the offensive end, he offers nowhere near the same potential on defense ... His lack of strength is a major soncern as he gets toseed around pretty easily by NCAA bigs and already has filled out with broad shoulders ... His core and leg strength need a lot of work, and may never allow him to battle inside against the NBA's top post players ... He does not have great length, limiting his ability to protect the rim, and being thin for his height, he plays a lot smaller than his size ... He may be more of a mismatch as a stretch-five man on offense, but the flip side is that he may not have any chance to slow down most centers on the defensive end ... As mentioned, Markkanen's lack of a strong base hinders his ability to battle for position in the post ... He is also not very physical down low, and he does not have the length to contest shots from other post players to make up for his inability to fight for good position ... Combine his lack of length with just average timing and instincts, and he could be a potential liability on this end of the court ... On the perimeter he has good feet, but he has a tendency to bend his back instead of his knees to get down in his stance, which eliminates some lateral quickness and effectiveness ... He is a nightmare to guard as a stretch-four on offense, but he often gets lost when trying to defend opposing stretch-fours on the perimeter ... His intincts in defending the pick and roll and knowing when to come help from the weak side also needs to improve ... His rebounding ability is also less than stellar for many of the same reasons that his defensive upside is limited ... Markkanen averaged an underwhelming 9.3 rebounds per 40 minutes, as he lacks the length, range, and toughness to be a force in this department ... He does not always work hard to get great position when the shot goes up, nor does he have the necessary frame to push opposing big men out of position ... Scouts also question how much more there really is to his offensive game than just his shooting ability ... He does not appear to have much of a post game, other than simple jump hooks and turnaround jumpers and is not a great finisher in traffic ... Not the most vocal or demonstrative person, will need to work on being more assertive and vocal on the floor ... He also is not a very gifted playmaker at this stage (1.2 assists per 40 minutes) and he goes left most times he puts the ball on the floor ... He is much better attacking off the dribble from the catch than in isolation situations, and he does not look nearly as natural shooting the ball when going to his right hand ... Aside from the defensive concerns, he also must develop his offensive repertoire outside of his jump shot.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lauri-markkanen

You're flat out wrong. I'm not sure if you're biased or just clueless, but you're wrong. Given that you're one of the guys calling Patrik Laine generational and comparing him to Mario Lemieux, I think it's a little of both.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Naah man, nothing personal against you, just don't like your username. If you put your moderator license on the table we can start to negoatiate about deal.

Rofl :laugh::laugh:. If you don't like my username, than you have the a chance to change it if your think he isn't going past number 3. It's ok though, you don't have it in you to back up what you posting.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Boston is picking Josh Jackson. End of story. Then they can trade/sign a star like Butler/George/Hayward.

I think that's most likely but I don't think it's a slam dunk. So far they haven't been able to get him to come in for a workout. That may not stop if they really like him but apparently Ainge doesn't think there's much difference between the top 4 and I wouldn't be surprised if he takes Tatum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad