What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I'm a Bulls fan, but reading these posts almost make me want to see it too.

Yes probably a very huge fan :laugh::laugh:

Pretty sad if people let other people options to run their thoughts. World doesn't work that way.

It's also fun how people put words to my mouth.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't see the appeal in George. Makes more sense for Ainge to wait a year and then go for it after LeBron leaves Cleveland.

Next summer IT and Bradley are free agents and its going to be hard to keep them both. Plus Smart will be an RFA prone to offer sheets. This year would have been a good one to go for it, even with LBJ still in the picture.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't see the appeal in George. Makes more sense for Ainge to wait a year and then go for it after LeBron leaves Cleveland.

There is literally one team to beat in the East and that is Cleveland. Why not take your shot this season? If he had traded for Paul George, I'd guess Gordon Hayward signing in Boston would be a slam dunk.

A Celtics team that made the East Finals with home court advantage adding a top-10 player in the NBA in George and another great player in Hayward would give the Cavs a serious run for their money.

Besides, it's not a given LeBron leaves Cleveland. Why would he? He basically guarantees himself a trip to the East Finals every season given the talent that has left for the West, and most times it's a guaranteed trip to the NBA Finals.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Imagine the best UFA signing in your teams history being Al Horford :laugh: :laugh:

Besides, it's not a given LeBron leaves Cleveland. Why would he? He basically guarantees himself a trip to the East Finals every season given the talent that has left for the West, and most times it's a guaranteed trip to the NBA Finals.

His businesses are all located in LA, he's started to get into acting and theres a certain Aura around playing for the Lakers. He and Gilbert still have a rocky relationship from 2010 and Dan hasn't exactly pleased him lately with Griffin being let go. He came back to bring a 'chip to The Land and he did that, he's guilt free now and can do what he wants.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Imagine the best UFA signing in your teams history being Al Horford :laugh: :laugh:

Laugh all you want but I would think that having won 17 NBA Championships means that the Celtics organization has a pretty good grasp on how to build a winning team. Maybe they put more stock in building a team through the Draft and trades over signing big name Free Agents. :nod:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
His businesses are all located in LA, he's started to get into acting and theres a certain Aura around playing for the Lakers. He and Gilbert still have a rocky relationship from 2010 and Dan hasn't exactly pleased him lately with Griffin being let go. He came back to bring a 'chip to The Land and he did that, he's guilt free now and can do what he wants.
That's what he has a management group for. He doesn't need to focus on those things, at least not fully. He'll have plenty of time to do that when he retires. Moving to the West creates an unnecessary burden for him having to play the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, and Thunder (if they still have PG/Russ) with other up and coming teams like the Wolves. He's got a cakewalk out East.
Laugh all you want but I would think that having won 17 NBA Championships means that the Celtics organization has a pretty good grasp on how to build a winning team. Maybe they put more stock in building a team through the Draft and trades over signing big name Free Agents. :nod:

They have 1 Championship in the last 30 years. Sure, it's more than a lot of franchises but they haven't exactly been a model organization during that time frame. That's the equivalent of Kevin Lowe stating he knows a thing or two about winning when acting in a managerial role for the Edmonton Oilers, when he clearly didn't.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Tatum and Fultz both impressed last night. Should be a lot of fun watching the two of them play against each other for (hopefully) many years to come.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Yeah, they are really a franchise at whose history you can laugh at :facepalm:

Man, the out of touch stuff you say seemingly every other day is hilarious.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Not as good as the Lakers tho :naughty: ;)

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Aside from the fact the Celtics have at least won something in the last decade (thanks to a very "generous" trade from an old pal), couldn't a Montreal Canadiens fan make the same argument and how fast would you as a Boston fan laugh in their face like I would?

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I still can't believe how badly Ainge screwed up this offseason. Sure Hayward improves them, but to have missed out on Butler and George is egregious. Either one of those guys could've made them closer to the Cavs. I'm not sure Hayward really does that. Certainly not as well.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I still can't believe how badly Ainge screwed up this offseason. Sure Hayward improves them, but to have missed out on Butler and George is egregious. Either one of those guys could've made them closer to the Cavs. I'm not sure Hayward really does that. Certainly not as well.

In what way is Hayward any worse of a player than Butler or George?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Oh for Pete's sake - give it a rest already. If you can't understand by now why Ainge didn't want to mortgage the future for 1 year of Paul George then you never will. As for Butler - Chicago likely took less from Minnesota than they would have from Boston just to get Butler out of the Eastern Conference. The bottom line is this - Boston had the best record in the East last season and has now added Gordon Hayward and Jayson Tatum to the roster. There's also a very good chance that Boston will have 2 of the top 5 picks in next year's draft too so it's kind of hard to say that Ainge screwed anything up.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Oh for Pete's sake - give it a rest already. If you can't understand by now why Ainge didn't want to mortgage the future for 1 year of Paul George then you never will. As for Butler - Chicago likely took less from Minnesota than they would have from Boston just to get Butler out of the Eastern Conference. The bottom line is this - Boston had the best record in the East last season and has now added Gordon Hayward and Jayson Tatum to the roster. There's also a very good chance that Boston will have 2 of the top 5 picks in next year's draft too so it's kind of hard to say that Ainge screwed anything up.

What future would Ainge have mortgaged? Look at the price of the players that were moved. Ainge could've given up pennies on the dollar to get Butler or George, both of which are top 15 players. I like Hayward but he's not a top 15 guy, more like top 30.

This hoarding of picks is just ridiculous. You HOPE that a player you draft top 5 turns into a guy like Butler or George. And given Ainge's draft pick history, the odds are bad he'll find a guy like that. How Ainge turned the #1 pick in the draft into Jayson Tatum will always crack me up. You hope that these future picks turn into the #1 pick, and what does Ainge do when he gets it? He trades down to grab an obviously lesser prospect.

The Celtics are still in fine position, but we're passed the point where Ainge needs to ***** or get off the pot. He's done nothing to give the Celtics a realistic shot at beating the Cavs, and he hasn't helped their future as much as he could/should have.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
How Ainge turned the #1 pick in the draft into Jayson Tatum will always crack me up.

Except Ainge didn't trade the # 1 pick for Jayson Tatum. He traded the # 1 pick for Tatum and a future 1st round pick.

The Celtics are still in fine position, but we're passed the point where Ainge needs to ***** or get off the pot. He's done nothing to give the Celtics a realistic shot at beating the Cavs, and he hasn't helped their future as much as he could/should have.

Well I guess we just agree to disagree. I wouldn't have given up anything of value for George since he is pretty much assured to be a Laker after this coming season. Butler would have been a great addition depending on the asking price but I still maintain that Minnesota paid a cheaper price because Chicago preferred trading Butler out of the East. Ainge may end up trading some of those futrure 1st round picks but it will only be in a deal that benefits the team now and in the future. Will Ainge be proved wrong for passing on George and/or Butler - maybe but based on what he's done over the last few years I tend to think he'll eventually be proven right.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In what way is Hayward any worse of a player than Butler or George?
In literally every way possible. That doesn't mean he's bad. He just isn't on their level.

He wouldn't be mortgaging the future, though. Just a small part of it. He still has a very good chance at getting top-5 picks next year, so why not take your best shot this coming season and go all-in with George and Hayward?

LeBron is not leaving the East. He's not stupid. He knows he has a cakewalk so long as every other star signs up to play in the West. As long as that happens, I don't ever see the Celtics actually beating him. Well, maybe in 5 or so years but LeBron isn't showing signs of slowing down. Far from it, actually. A Celtics team with both George and Hayward on it could actually give the Cavs a fight during the East Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->