What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't remember reading anything about the Bulls wanting to get Butler out of the east. I did see that for Paul George though

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
In literally every way possible. That doesn't mean he's bad. He just isn't on their level.

He wouldn't be mortgaging the future, though. Just a small part of it. He still has a very good chance at getting top-5 picks next year, so why not take your best shot this coming season and go all-in with George and Hayward?

LeBron is not leaving the East. He's not stupid. He knows he has a cakewalk so long as every other star signs up to play in the West. As long as that happens, I don't ever see the Celtics actually beating him. Well, maybe in 5 or so years but LeBron isn't showing signs of slowing down. Far from it, actually. A Celtics team with both George and Hayward on it could actually give the Cavs a fight during the East Finals.

This. I agree with all of the bolded.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
In his defence, Paul was going to HOU or SA. But he missed out on Cousins, Butler and now PG.

I don't see the appeal in George. Makes more sense for Ainge to wait a year and then go for it after LeBron leaves Cleveland.

Next summer IT and Bradley are free agents and its going to be hard to keep them both. Plus Smart will be an RFA prone to offer sheets. This year would have been a good one to go for it, even with LBJ still in the picture.

Well he got Hayward, but now they want Marc Gasol

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In what way is Hayward any worse of a player than Butler or George?

... uhhh because they are both better players than him? Not to say hayward's bad, but Butler and George are easily better than him.

In literally every way possible. That doesn't mean he's bad. He just isn't on their level.

He wouldn't be mortgaging the future, though. Just a small part of it. He still has a very good chance at getting top-5 picks next year, so why not take your best shot this coming season and go all-in with George and Hayward?

LeBron is not leaving the East. He's not stupid. He knows he has a cakewalk so long as every other star signs up to play in the West. As long as that happens, I don't ever see the Celtics actually beating him. Well, maybe in 5 or so years but LeBron isn't showing signs of slowing down. Far from it, actually. A Celtics team with both George and Hayward on it could actually give the Cavs a fight during the East Finals.

Agreed. So what if you have to give up Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum - realistically you can only play one of them at a time and you'd be getting a top 10/15 player. You may also have to give up a top 5 pick - no reason to balk at that considering you did that for KG a decade ago.

Well he got Hayward, but now they want Marc Gasol

They won't get him. He's a top 5 C and Memphis has him locked down for 3 more years. Literally 0 reason to move him, especially after he improved his perimeter shooting this season.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Danny Ainge is an idiot. When was the last time the Celtics had a chance to draft the consensus number one player? He had a chance at the best player in the draft and blew it because he wanted more assets for the future. He's got an incredibly young line up right now. Adding more future assets doesn't help. Fultz is going to be a bonafide superstar and Ainge traded that away. I don't get why people think he's some sort of genius.
Tatum is pretty damn good though.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Danny Ainge is an idiot. When was the last time the Celtics had a chance to draft the consensus number one player? He had a chance at the best player in the draft and blew it because he wanted more assets for the future. He's got an incredibly young line up right now. Adding more future assets doesn't help. Fultz is going to be a bonafide superstar and Ainge traded that away. I don't get why people think he's some sort of genius.

Still think Ainge is an idiot ???? :laugh:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's pretty freaking close. But go ahead - enlighten me and my fellow Celtic fans why you disagree. :huh:

14 years, one title, one another finals appearance. Cool, he fleeced Brooklyn and got a bunch of top picks -- that have resulted in 0 titles. You can make good trades until the cows come home but all that matters is rings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
14 years, one title, one another finals appearance. Cool, he fleeced Brooklyn and got a bunch of top picks -- that have resulted in 0 titles. You can make good trades until the cows come home but all that matters is rings.

Really? Rings is the only thing you judge someone on?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Really? Rings is the only thing you judge someone on?

For management? Yes, its a good measure. Its not the only thing but who cares about how good your trades are if they don't result in a championship? CP3 trade was great for the Clips but all it got them was a few years of relevance and some playoff revenue.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
For management? Yes, its a good measure. Its not the only thing but who cares about how good your trades are if they don't result in a championship? CP3 trade was great for the Clips but all it got them was a few years of relevance and some playoff revenue.

It's not.

Guess you can include coaches too. Billy Donovan is shit, he hasn't won anything.

Reactions: Ivan13

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Lol @ that argument. Try being a Kings fan and telling me that management sucks unless you get a ring. I would have killed for even semi-competent management the last 10 years, let alone what Ainge has done in Boston.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I still maintain that Danny Ainge should have went all-in for Paul George in order to try and win a championship this season, but the Taytum pick looks really good.

Reactions: Voight

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I still maintain that Danny Ainge should have went all-in for Paul George in order to try and win a championship this season, but the Taytum pick looks really good.

In addition to Gordon Hayward or in place of? Because it wouldn't really have made sense to go after both of them. And I think Hayward is probably the safer choice for the long term, given the possibility of PG leaving for LA after this season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
In addition to Gordon Hayward or in place of? Because it wouldn't really have made sense to go after both of them. And I think Hayward is probably the safer choice for the long term, given the possibility of PG leaving for LA after this season.
In addition to Gordon Hayward. I believe that a lineup with Kyrie-Hayward-George-Brown-Horford could absolutely challenge the Cavs in the ECF.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think they could afford to sign him, along with Hayward and Kyrie.
I haven't looked at the financials, but if that's the case, then I can see why they wouldn't go all-in for one season. But if the financials could work, the Celtics provide him an opportunity to win which is something I think means a lot to him. Probably more than playing at home for the Lakers on a **** team.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I haven't looked at the financials, but if that's the case, then I can see why they wouldn't go all-in for one season. But if the financials could work, the Celtics provide him an opportunity to win which is something I think means a lot to him. Probably more than playing at home for the Lakers on a **** team.

They had to move some pretty good players to clear enough cap space for Kyrie, so paying PG as well would have been very tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad