What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Honestly, would you draft Fultz or trade the pick?

Boston is quite possibly the team with the most promising future already (or close to Minnesota) and now they have the 1st overall pick in their back-pocket.

Would you trade it for a stretch-4 that they need or draft the potential superstar point guard that is not that much of a need for them?

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I'm not sure about IT as their long term point guard, so I'd draft Fultz. Maybe re-jig the roster a bit for more star power if possible.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Honestly, would you draft Fultz or trade the pick?

Boston is quite possibly the team with the most promising future already (or close to Minnesota) and now they have the 1st overall pick in their back-pocket.

Would you trade it for a stretch-4 that they need or draft the potential superstar point guard that is not that much of a need for them?

I would've thought that was Golden State

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm not sure about IT as their long term point guard, so I'd draft Fultz. Maybe re-jig the roster a bit for more star power if possible.

Yea, like I said before -- IT wont be all that relevant within three seasons. He's playing great but I think its just one of those short 2 season bursts. Besides his contract will be up soon and they still have Marcus Smart who can play PG.

Mind you they will never get a star player until Ainge changes his ways. He thinks he is smarter than the 29 other GMs and can fleece every team for their star players. Not happening.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
As hard as it is to do, I think the C's should trade IT for a haul and build that way with the draft picks.

Selfishly, I hope they deal the pick+ for Butler.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Trade IT for a big return.

Draft Fultz.

Trade other assets (including one from IT trade) for Butler.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
- the first thing I will do is try and convince the Lakers that we are going to take Ball at # 1. Tell the Lakers we'll pass on Ball for their 2nd 1st round pick ( 28th overall ) or even a future ( preferably unprotected ) 1st round pick.

- regardless of whether we make a deal with the Lakers I will draft Fultz with the top pick.

- I will then try to deal either Smart or Rozier ( plus some other bench players like James Young, Amir Johnson or Kelly Olynyk ) for a good young rebounder.

- after another Atlantic Division crown and a strong Playoff run I will look forward to another top 5 pick from Brooklyn in the 2018 Draft.

- send another " Thank You " e-mail to Billy King.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't think the Lakers are going to break the bank for that pick. If Boston's gonna take Ball, then the Lakers are getting the consensus #1 pick. It's a win-win for them. Not to mention how intrigued they seem by De'Aaron Fox.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I don't think the Lakers are going to break the bank for that pick. If Boston's gonna take Ball, then the Lakers are getting the consensus #1 pick. It's a win-win for them. Not to mention how intrigued they seem by De'Aaron Fox.

Ordinarily I'd say you were right but the Lakers ( specifically Magic Johnson ) have said numerous times how much they like/want Ball. Magic said once on TV ( I think it was on PTI or The Jump ) that Ball is destined to play for the Lakers. I don't actually think the Lakers would fall for the bluff but might as well try.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I burn the pick on BPA.

Couple people already made this point, but the question is can you use the first overall to trade for a guy that puts you over the top? The market right now would indicate no. Jimmy Butler isn't turning the Celtics into a top flight championship team. Use the pick to draft a potential star and then go from there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Golden state will probably lose 1 or 2 key players.

If they win, KD will go back to OKC. His only thing was he needed a ring as fans and media have become so ring-obssesed in the last decade you can't be considered one of the greats if you don't have one. If they win, he could very well go back to OKC and try to win one for his adopted hometown.

- the first thing I will do is try and convince the Lakers that we are going to take Ball at # 1. Tell the Lakers we'll pass on Ball for their 2nd 1st round pick ( 28th overall ) or even a future ( preferably unprotected ) 1st round pick.

- regardless of whether we make a deal with the Lakers I will draft Fultz with the top pick.

Magic and Pelinka wont blink. Sure they want Ball but they aren't dumb enough to pull a Chicago Bears and fall for the poker face.

Trade IT for a big return.

Draft Fultz.

Trade other assets (including one from IT trade) for Butler.

A year from UFA, it'll be hard to get a big return for Thomas, as I don't think a team will want to move assets for him and give him the max when they can probably just wait a year.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Highly doubt he goes back to OKC but if he does isn't that a slap in the face? They were up 3-1 in the conference finals. Its not like they were far away, really were just execution away from playing Cleveland. Though they probably don't beat them.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I burn the pick on BPA.

Couple people already made this point, but the question is can you use the first overall to trade for a guy that puts you over the top? The market right now would indicate no. Jimmy Butler isn't turning the Celtics into a top flight championship team. Use the pick to draft a potential star and then go from there.

The X factor with the Celtics is Gordon Hayward. If they can sign him, which it sounds like they've got a shot, then what do you do. Does Hayward and Butler make them a legit contender? That's two significant upgrades for a good team.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Then in that case? Yeah, i probably make that trade then.

Problem is, the draft is before free agency so you have to be realllllly sure the odds of signing Hayward are as high as you think they are.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
They should pick Lauri Markkanen. They need Power Forward and Markkanen is excellent option for that place, he has all-star potential.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
They should pick Lauri Markkanen. They need Power Forward and Markkanen is excellent option for that place, he has all-star potential.

If Boston really wanted Markkanen then they would trade down about 7 or 8 spots. There's no way you spend the # 1 pick on that guy. :thumbd:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Then in that case? Yeah, i probably make that trade then.

Problem is, the draft is before free agency so you have to be realllllly sure the odds of signing Hayward are as high as you think they are.

Well Fultz is a consensus #1 pick right. They could take him, and then deal him (if that's the trade you were referring to) after finding out they signed Hayward. It would be like what the Cavs did with Wiggins.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The X factor with the Celtics is Gordon Hayward. If they can sign him, which it sounds like they've got a shot, then what do you do. Does Hayward and Butler make them a legit contender? That's two significant upgrades for a good team.

It does, but at the same time they are going to have to give up most of their depth to land Butler. I.e the likes of Bradley, Crowder, Brown etc. (Not saying those 3 specifically, just going to cost them more than Ainge thinks it will)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It does, but at the same time they are going to have to give up most of their depth to land Butler. I.e the likes of Bradley, Crowder, Brown etc. (Not saying those 3 specifically, just going to cost them more than Ainge thinks it will)

There's so many moving parts for Boston, which is what makes it so interesting. There's so many different ways to go. IT, Bradley and Smart are all up in a year and they don't figure to pay all of them.

It's cut throat as hell, as he "deserves" a max deal, but I keep coming back to IT being the odd man out if I was in charge.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Well Fultz is a consensus #1 pick right. They could take him, and then deal him (if that's the trade you were referring to) after finding out they signed Hayward. It would be like what the Cavs did with Wiggins.

I for some reason blanked out on the fact you could simply use the pick, and then trade the player taken. :laugh: My bad.

Then i absolutely would do that. Use the pick, wait it out, and go from there. win/win no matter which way you go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad