What would you do with the 1st overall pick if you were the Celtics GM?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I doubt it

They've staggered the contracts of their Big 4 very well so they only ever have to retain one of them per offseason

KD was the definition of a rental. They won't keep him. KD had a one year contract because there's no other way he could sign there.

They could keep them but good luck having the $$$$ to form the complementary quality parts to the team. That's why they couldn't beat Cleveland. When push comes to shove they don't have a complete tough team. Now the problem is the league has a real small number of teams that are quality enough to challenge.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
If Boston really wanted Markkanen then they would trade down about 7 or 8 spots. There's no way you spend the # 1 pick on that guy. :thumbd:

Yes they could do that trade, but don't be surprised if someone picks Markkanen before them. There is big chance that Markkanen is best player available in the Draft. Not at the moment, but potential is definitely there. He was in huge role before Trier came back from his injury, scoring over 50% from 3 PT. I think he didn't have much chemistry with Trier that's why his numbers came down little bit.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yes they could do that trade, but don't be surprised if someone picks Markkanen before them. There is big chance that Markkanen is best player available in the Draft. Not at the moment, but potential is definitely there. He was in huge role before Trier came back from his injury, scoring over 50% from 3 PT. I think he didn't have much chemistry with Trier that's why his numbers came down little bit.

Define big. That seems to be a unique opinion. It doesn't make you wrong necessarily, but he's not in the top 5 prospects from my understanding.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Now that their season is over, and seeing how much more offensively versatile they looked with Marcus Smart playing in stead of Isaiah Thomas, they should trade Thomas and draft the PG they prefer to extend their competitive window by 10 to 15 years, cuz Lebron isn't close to done with the east, and I think he'll be in at least the next 2 finals

It would be hilarious if they liked Ball better than Fultz and snatched him away from the Lakers, Magic Johnson would **** a brick

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
KD was the definition of a rental. They won't keep him. KD had a one year contract because there's no other way he could sign there.

They could keep them but good luck having the $$$$ to form the complementary quality parts to the team. That's why they couldn't beat Cleveland. When push comes to shove they don't have a complete tough team. Now the problem is the league has a real small number of teams that are quality enough to challenge.

Off topic, but the Warriors can afford KD for at least one more year because Thompson and Green's cheap contracts run through next year

They need to pay Steph this summer, but if all you need to do to keep Kevin Durant is let Livingston and Iguodala walk you do it in a heartbeat

The following year is when it gets tricky cuz KD will be a year away from having Bird rights, so that's when the big decisions will have to be made

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Off topic, but the Warriors can afford KD for at least one more year because Thompson and Green's cheap contracts run through next year

They need to pay Steph this summer, but if all you need to do to keep Kevin Durant is let Livingston and Iguodala walk you do it in a heartbeat

The following year is when it gets tricky cuz KD will be a year away from having Bird rights, so that's when the big decisions will have to be made

If they win, KD will go back to OKC. He just wanted and needed a ring for the whole legacy thing like LeBron did.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
If they win, KD will go back to OKC. He just wanted and needed a ring for the whole legacy thing like LeBron did.

No way man, I'm pretty sure Westbrook and KD will never be teammates again, I think they both took their sides of the split very personally

If he wins he will probably do everything he can to stay with Golden State since NBA culture dictates that players are not historically significant unless they win multiple championships as the best player, and GSW is obviously his best chance to do so

Just look at Lebron, he didn't leave Miami until they lost again, I think if KD leaves it's not until he wins at least one ring with the Warriors, and not until they fail to win one after that

If and when that comes to pass, I could see him in SA, HOU, BOS, or WAS but I don't think he's gonna put a Thunder jersey on ever again

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No way man, I'm pretty sure Westbrook and KD will never be teammates again, I think they both took their sides of the split very personally

If he wins he will probably do everything he can to stay with Golden State since NBA culture dictates that players are not historically significant unless they win multiple championships as the best player, and GSW is obviously his best chance to do so

Just look at Lebron, he didn't leave Miami until they lost again, I think if KD leaves it's not until he wins at least one ring with the Warriors, and not until they fail to win one after that

If and when that comes to pass, I could see him in SA, HOU, BOS, or WAS but I don't think he's gonna put a Thunder jersey on ever again

Wasn't he under contact? How could he have left before then?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I have no honest clue, as there is no NBA cap geek equivalent, if anyone here knows I would appreciate the insight

He couldn't of left. His original contract w/ Miami was for six years with an early termination option after the fifth year (which he obviously exercised in 2014) and then a player option for the sixth year. So Neutrinos is correct, he could not have left until 2014 at the earliest.

Well no, because in the last couple of months they started talking again and began mending fences. Nobody thought LeBron would ever play for Dan Gilbert again after the letter he wrote but they met up and aired things out. And as good as it would be to stay in GSW, they are going to lose all their depth this summer when Curry signs his mega deal and then if KD ops in for next season they are going to owe him another mega max contract in Summer '18, most likely resulting in Thompson or Green being moved elsewhere.

So if he can win this year, at most he'd stay for is next season but I really don't think he cares for more than one ring, especially because he wont just be a passenger on the team.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Don't all big contracts actually have an opt out year option?

I think KD won't pass up a big contract but I'm not sure I'm seeing this OKC connection. That ended badly all the way around. I could see him going home to Washington. That team is damn good now.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Don't all big contracts actually have an opt out year option?

I think KD won't pass up a big contract but I'm not sure I'm seeing this OKC connection. That ended badly all the way around. I could see him going home to Washington. That team is damn good now.

He said last year he did not want to play in Washington. Example A being he didn't even give them a visit/chance to pitch him.

Besides, Porter looks like he's finally going to live up to his 3rd overall pick status.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
He said last year he did not want to play in Washington. Example A being he didn't even give them a visit/chance to pitch him.

Besides, Porter looks like he's finally going to live up to his 3rd overall pick status.

That's unfortunate. Early percentage odds to win next years title came out. They were 5th. They probably should have beat Boston. They would have gave Cleveland a better battle. They started this year off poorly. Then got on fire from January on. Had they started the year better they probably would have had the top seed.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Define big. That seems to be a unique opinion. It doesn't make you wrong necessarily, but he's not in the top 5 prospects from my understanding.

I don't really mind do you take Markkanen or not. You will make huge mistake if your team skips him. He has all the tools to success in NBA.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
One of the guys over at CBS thinks Boston should trade the top pick to Indy for Paul George. This is what he is proposing:

To Indiana: # 1 pick in 2017 Draft, both of Boston's 2017 2nd round picks ( yeah I know - Boston actually has 3 picks in the 2nd round but this isn't even the worst part of the proposed deal ), Amir Johnson ( who is now actually a UFA sp that's not going to happen ) and the Clipper's 1st round pick in 2019

To Boston: Paul " I'm Going To Be A Laker ASAP " George and Al Jefferson

If Ainge even thinks about making this deal he should be fired on the spot. :thumbd:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One of the guys over at CBS thinks Boston should trade the top pick to Indy for Paul George. This is what he is proposing:

To Indiana: # 1 pick in 2017 Draft, both of Boston's 2017 2nd round picks ( yeah I know - Boston actually has 3 picks in the 2nd round but this isn't even the worst part of the proposed deal ), Amir Johnson ( who is now actually a UFA sp that's not going to happen ) and the Clipper's 1st round pick in 2019

To Boston: Paul " I'm Going To Be A Laker ASAP " George and Al Jefferson

If Ainge even thinks about making this deal he should be fired on the spot. :thumbd:

That's awful for the Pacers. Like one of the worst offers ever.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That's awful for the Pacers. Like one of the worst offers ever.

Awful for the Pacers ???? For a guy that's all but guaranteed to leave after next season the Pacers get the top pick in this year's draft, a probable middle of the pack pick in 2019 and some other assorted junk. I highly doubt they'll get anything better then that from any other team. TBH - I really do hope Indiana thinks that this proposal is awful as I don't Boston to even think about doing it. :thumbd:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I wouldn't trade 1st overall for potentially 12 months of Paul George.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Yeah I'm pretty sure that poster is finnish. I like Markkanen and I think he fits the direction of the league, but I would have 5-7 players ahead of him, which isn't a bad thing in this draft.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Yeah I'm pretty sure that poster is finnish. I like Markkanen and I think he fits the direction of the league, but I would have 5-7 players ahead of him, which isn't a bad thing in this draft.

Yes i'm from Finland but that doesn't change anything. Markkanen > Porzingis in future.

Those 5-7 could be better than Porzingis but i find it very unlikely to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad