What if Mario had missed?

espo*

I was sure that the word "sarcasm" was included in the dictionary of Canadian English.
I could be wrong, though.

An article "a" before the word "fan", which also lacks an "s" in the end, implies that the subject is singular. Taking your displeasure over it and spreading it onto a nation of hundreds of millions of people (it's called "plural", by the way) is certainly a wrong thing to do. "Wrong" means "bad".
"Ceartainly" means "like".

"Displeasure" means "a wad made out of panties".

"Implies" also means "like".

I'm afraid a sarcasm detector does not come with membership on a computer hockey board,know what i mean?

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
The bottom line is that the thread is about what would have happened if mario had missed on that shot,not what would have happened if the Soviet player had'nt gotten hooked.
I did not start that discussion, read the thread again.

I don't think there is a Canadian fan on here that,having seen the play,would suggest the Soviet player was'nt hooked,it's really not debateable at all (not that it is part of the original discussion but a Russian fan made it so not a Canadian one) but the hook on Bourque isn't debateable either and it cost us a goal earlier in the game,you can''t cry about bias and Russian hating when fans from Russia won't return the honour showed by Canadian fans in admitting our players transgressions when you can't admit yours.
Look at the replay in slow mothion, it is debatable. Your excuse for the hook on the last goal being a make up for the that hook is wrong. It is not like the Soviets suffered from bad officiating on the winning goal, but it was throughout the whole game and this is obvious when you watch the game carefully.

You're not un-biased at all.............far from it.
You are the one who is far from unbiased. Anyone reading your angry posts will agree.

You guys are easily(as i've said) the worst fans in hockey.You've got absolutely ZERO honour.You keep showing it each and every post.
And you don't have the honor to admit that you benefited from favorable officiating.

We don't begrudge Russian fans their victory in 1981...........why begrudge us ours in other years?
Because, at least in 1987, it was not a fair final. And what about you not accepting all those World Championships the Soviets won?

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
What if blahblah...

... Vladimir Krutov would have scored with five seconds left of the 3rd period. There it is. I dreamed it last night. No need to discuss it anymore.

In other words; who knows? Canada dominated slightly that game but the Soviets appeared more dangerous when they had a scoring chance. Officiating seemed to favour Canada but not as badly as it favoured the Soviets in the 6th and the beginning of the 8th game in ´72.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Because, at least in 1987, it was not a fair final. And what about you not accepting all those World Championships the Soviets won?

Are you serious? On both counts?

I especially love the reference to the World Championships we won. Are you willing to throw in all the Spenglers and the Izvestiya Cups too?

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

Ever since the World Championships have been played on a somewhat level playing field (ie after Russians started playing in the NHL), the Russians have not fared nearly so well. Their WC victories are severly tainted due to the fact they had all their best talent available and they had much more preparation time playing as a unit, whereas the other countries did not.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
In the 87 Canada Cup, Lemieux completely ignored a wide open Larry Murphy who had a wide open net, and instead chose to shoot a 3 inch puck through a 4 inch opening. What happens if he misses?

the real question is : what if Koharski had called a hooking penalty on Hawerchuk like he should have?

I'm gonna post a video of that later, but that was the worst uncalled penalty ever, by a Canadian referee, in favor of Canada.

and don't even try to prove that it wasn't a hook. you'd have to be blind not to notice it. :teach:

the truth is, if #10 from Canada hadn't hooked down #27 from USSR. Lemieux wouldn't even had taken a shot ...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
the real question is : what if Koharski had called a hooking penalty on Hawerchuk like he should have?

I'm gonna post a video of that later, but that was the worst uncalled penalty ever, by a Canadian referee, in favor of Canada.

and don't even try to prove that it wasn't a hook. you'd have to be blind not to notice it. :teach:

As stated earlier, there was an equally blatant hook on Bourque earlier on in the game that led to a breakaway and goal. Basically the non-calls are a wash.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
As stated earlier, there was an equally blatant hook on Bourque earlier on in the game that led to a breakaway and goal. Basically the non-calls are a wash.

I don't care what a Canadian referee doesn't call against the USSR, but when he doesn't call a penalty against Canada on a game-winning play, there is a problem.

I would've liked to see Canada's reaction if it was the other way around ... a miscall by a Russian in Moscow, and the USSR wins ...

but I don't care anymore. Canada always cheats its way to victory ... except that now it doesn't work anymore, and Canada gets *** kicked by Switzerland :teach:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I don't care what a Canadian referee doesn't call against the USSR, but when he doesn't call a penalty against Canada on a game-winning play, there is a problem.

I would've liked to see Canada's reaction if it was the other way around ... a miscall by a Russian in Moscow, and the USSR wins ...

but I don't care anymore. Canada always cheats its way to victory ... except that now it doesn't work anymore, and Canada gets *** kicked by Switzerland :teach:

Uh, yeah:sarcasm:

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I don't give a rat's *** about Russia, Finland ... or any other country for that matter.

I just can't stand when Canada cheats.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rg_-JwlN-o

Here you go as well, two can play that game. 2:45 in Bourque is hooked and it leads to a 2 on none breakaway. Unlike the Hawerchuk play, this hook led directly to a goal. Even if Hawerchuk doesn't hook, it probably still leads to a quality scoring chance, unlike the Bourque hook, where there would not have been a scoring chance without the hook.

BTW the Russians actually requested Koharski as the ref.

Wondering what the series result would have been if Canada had a year to prepare as a unit like the Russians did?

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rg_-JwlN-o

Here you go as well, two can play that game. 2:45 in Bourque is hooked and it leads to a 2 on none breakaway. Unlike the Hawerchuk play, this hook led directly to a goal. Even if Hawerchuk doesn't hook, it probably still leads to a quality scoring chance, unlike the Bourque hook, where there would not have been a scoring chance without the hook.

A pretty flimsy hook, he barely got the shirt. Looked to me like Ray was about to slip anyway.
Yeah, it was a badly called game, but actually I can't believe that you guys are squabbling over these trifles when talking about probably the greatest hockey series ever played.
Thanks for the video link. What a game, oh baby!

Wondering what the series result would have been if Canada had a year to prepare as a unit like the Russians did?

Yes, it's one of the things we always neglect to mention. Overall, we had the more spectacular puck-handlers and speedier wingers, but Canada overdid us physically and mentally. Given a chance to gel together as a unit, they'd probably take a 7-game series from us, no problem.
But nobody payed a greater price for the downside of our system than we did. We sacraficed our entire hockey infrastructure for the sake of creating one team capable of beating the Canadians. And though it did just so on a couple of occasions, look where it brought us now...

Still, those were some good times, weren't they? Can you see hockey like this played anymore? Anywhere?

espo*

I knew if i drew them out enough their attitudes would become real plain for all to see.

It's pretty clear (as i always said it was) they demand respect yet are unwilling to give any,to the point of cheap-shots in an attempt to hide their sundry views and ideas.And those views and ideas are always right off the wall.

It's all here for everyone to see.

In fairness,it is nice to finally see a fan from there like Tighina who is willing to give credit where credit is due.Maybe he was embarrassed into doing so.IF Canadian fans were acting like and had the same attitude their fans are/have i know i would be.

It should'nt have gotten to this point but we know why it did.

anyway,case closed.

Don't be angry at Tighna Russian fans,he's actually restored some honour for you here.

He did'nt demand respect while being disrespectful like so many of you sadly do.

Last edited by a moderator:

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Ever since the World Championships have been played on a somewhat level playing field (ie after Russians started playing in the NHL), the Russians have not fared nearly so well. Their WC victories are severly tainted due to the fact they had all their best talent available and they had much more preparation time playing as a unit, whereas the other countries did not.
What other countries did not besides Canada? As I said before, after the break up of the USSR, Russian hockey has faced many problems that hockey in other countries has not.

He did'nt demand respect while being disrespectful like so many of you sadly do
You started the disrespect here. And I have not disrespected anyone on here.

Are you serious? On both counts?
I especially love the reference to the World Championships we won. Are you willing to throw in all the Spenglers and the Izvestiya Cups too?
Why do you have the Russian flag? You talk and think like a North American. You probably live there, but you don't have to beleive everything that is told there about hockey. How were those World Championships not an accomplishment?

A pretty flimsy hook, he barely got the shirt. Looked to me like Ray was about to slip anyway.
That is what it looks like to me.

Yes, it's one of the things we always neglect to mention. Overall, we had the more spectacular puck-handlers and speedier wingers, but Canada overdid us physically and mentally. Given a chance to gel together as a unit, they'd probably take a 7-game series from us, no problem.
Mentally how? And while Canadian players were bigger, the Soviets were better physically trained.
Canadian hockey does not require for its players to know each other as well as Soviet hockey does, so the thinking that Team Canada would have easily beaten the Soviet if they trained together for a long time is flawed.

But nobody payed a greater price for the downside of our system than we did. We sacraficed our entire hockey infrastructure for the sake of creating one team capable of beating the Canadians. And though it did just so on a couple of occasions, look where it brought us now...
A couple of occasions?
The most important goals were to win the Olympics and the World Championships; most of the time it was not Canada that was the Soviets' greatest opponent in these tournaments.
Not sure what you mean by "sacraficed our entire hockey infrastructure".

espo*

Sure,whatever you say.You're just digging yourself in deeper here that's all. The cat's out of the bag with you and a few others.

Please spare me any more.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Why do you have the Russian flag?

Because I am Russian. This is not the same as being blind. I am also a fan of the game that was invented in North America. I recognize and respect this fact and consider it quite below my dignity to froth at the mouth trying to prove to the locals that we are the alpha and omega of hockey. It's not true and it's silly.

How were those World Championships not an accomplishment?

They are, but you should tell it to the Swedes, Finns and Czechs, not Canadians, who had never competed in them with their A team.

Mentally how?

They never gave up and always seemed to bury us in the dying minutes of decisive games. We were never as good at coming from behind.

And while Canadian players were bigger, the Soviets were better physically trained.

That is true, we were better conditioned, especially in the offseason. Which we never had: our players were in training 11 months out of the year.

Canadian hockey does not require for its players to know each other as well as Soviet hockey does

This is nonsense, I am sorry.

A couple of occasions?
The most important goals were to win the Olympics and the World Championships; most of the time it was not Canada that was the Soviets' greatest opponent in these tournaments.

But we never faced the best available opposition at these tournaments, so they cannot possibly mean all THAT much in the great scheme of things. But yeah, I agree that for the national psyche it was definitely a good thing.
Too bad the truth hurt as much as it did, when eventually we were exposed to it.

Not sure what you mean by "sacraficed our entire hockey infrastructure".
It's a long and sad story, but the results are before you.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Sure,whatever you say.You're just digging yourself in deeper here that's all. The cat's out of the bag with you and a few others.

Please spare me any more.

'Captain Canada' cyclops claiming the cats out of the bag towards another poster. Too funny :joker:

You're just as bad as those other guys......just on the other side of the fence.
With quotes like these below, I think you've 'outed' yourself long ago.

And that's par for the course from you guys for a lot of years now and that's why i don't like your teams.Your fans are sickening,they really are..
Disliking Russian hockey and their boorish fans does'nt make anyone anything other then exactly that and you give me plenty of reasons to hate your hockey teams and fans.I don't hide behind anything when it comes to your hockey or fans......................i don't like it or you,and you give me all the reasons on the world to feel that way.
I don't like Russian hockey.

Nice job lumping all Russian players and fans in the same boat -- then hating them for it.
No different than someone hating Canada because of the Don Cherry's of your country. Good job.:clap:

cyclops vs YMB29 = :tmi: vs :tmi:

espo*

'Captain Canada' cyclops claiming the cats out of the bag towards another poster. Too funny :joker:

You're just as bad as those other guys......just on the other side of the fence.
With quotes like these below, I think you've 'outed' yourself long ago.

Nice job lumping all Russian players and fans in the same boat -- then hating them for it.
No different than someone hating Canada because of the Don Cherry's of your country. Good job.:clap:

cyclops vs YMB29 = :tmi: vs :tmi:

I'm not part of a group saying all our victories are moments of unfiltered greatness and everybody elses are the result of cheating.

Is there a law saying a have to agree with this attitude also? is this the next demand of Russian fans?

Your call.

I still don't see what me not liking Russian hockey has to do with anything.I don't like Russian hockey,i've never hidden that.However,not liking Russian hockey is a hell of a lot different then not giving Russian hockey it's well earned due when it has beaten the best competition out there and you don't catch me doing that do you?.That's the difference between us and you guys by the looks of it. Well,there does seem to be one fan from there who is willing to call it straight down the middle from both sides and that's all i ask. I have no problem giving Russia it's credit when they have beaten our best,and you should have no problem giving our teams credit when we have beaten your best.When you understand this idea and practice it we'll get along with little problems.Until then...............don't hold your breath.

This was a thread about what would have happened if Mario had not scored that goal and then out of the blue comes a guy from your side with his "the goal was from cheating" stuff.Seriousely,if you can't see that then you've got blinders on.You're after the wrong guy here when you're after me.

you're still playing games by trying to switch what fans on both sides are arguing over into a "you don't like us" deal.Me not liking Russian hockey has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

but keep playing that tune if it makes you feel better.Maybe you can call me the Canadian Hitler or something next post.I mean,i don't like Russian hockey and it's fans when they demand respect but refuse to give any(GASP!!)What kind of monster am i?

Oh well,i can live with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
What other countries did not besides Canada? As I said before, after the break up of the USSR, Russian hockey has faced many problems that hockey in other countries has not.

In the 70's and 80's alot or all of the best American, Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Slovak talent was playing pro in NA, and therefore either couldn't play in the WC because of the playoffs, or the ones who could play were not accustomed to playing on the National team. Only the Soviets had their complete roster all year round.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Because I am Russian. This is not the same as being blind. I am also a fan of the game that was invented in North America. I recognize and respect this fact and consider it quite below my dignity to froth at the mouth trying to prove to the locals that we are the alpha and omega of hockey. It's not true and it's silly.
I never said that.
So what if Canada invented hockey? You seem to emphasize this over and over.

They are, but you should tell it to the Swedes, Finns and Czechs, not Canadians, who had never competed in them with their A team.
You said that being Russian has not made you blind, but obviously living in North America has.

They never gave up and always seemed to bury us in the dying minutes of decisive games. We were never as good at coming from behind.
Stop generalizing. Even if this is true, it would not make Canadians stronger mentally.

T
his is nonsense, I am sorry.
So it is not true that Canadian hockey is more individualistic or that Canadian coaches like to change lines up?

But we never faced the best available opposition at these tournaments, so they cannot possibly mean all THAT much in the great scheme of things. But yeah, I agree that for the national psyche it was definitely a good thing.
Too bad the truth hurt as much as it did, when eventually we were exposed to it.
What truth?
Weak opposition? In the Olympics, yes, in the World Championships, no.

It's a long and sad story, but the results are before you.
I still don't understand?

In the 70's and 80's alot or all of the best American, Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Slovak talent was playing pro in NA, and therefore either couldn't play in the WC because of the playoffs, or the ones who could play were not accustomed to playing on the National team. Only the Soviets had their complete roster all year round.
Czechs and Slovaks in the NHL in the 70s-80s??? How many Europeans played in the NHL before the 90s? Stop posting false excuses? The Soviets were far from the only ones with their best roster. You think that Canada would have dominated the tournament if they sent their best? Well they did send close to their best in 1982 and 1989 and still failed to beat the Soviets.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Czechs and Slovaks in the NHL in the 70s-80s??? How many Europeans played in the NHL before the 90s? Stop posting false excuses? The Soviets were far from the only ones with their best roster. You think that Canada would have dominated the tournament if they sent their best? Well they did send close to their best in 1982 and 1989 and still failed to beat the Soviets.

Never heard of the Stastnys? Maybe you should do some research before you spout your tripe. Them and alot of Czechs played in the NHL in the 80's. In addition alot of Euros played in the NHL in the 80's and some played in the WHA and the NHL in the 70's, especially Swedes who had their national team rosters decimated by the North American pro leagues.

You certainly like making assumptions don't you. I never said Canada would dominate. I only said that the Soviet victories were tainted because they didn't play the best talent or teams that had one year of prep time like the Soviets did. Obviously the Soviets would still have been great, but so would have Canada. All things being equal, it would be a tossup. No way they win all the WC's they did, but they certainly would still have won some.

Here's a hypothetical. The Ottawa Senators play 12 months together preparing for the cup. The SJ Sharks current roster play on different teams for the same period and are hastily put together in a week, play two exhibition games and then have to play the Sens in the cup. Tell me who wins the series?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Well,there does seem to be one fan from there who is willing to call it straight down the middle from both sides and that's all i ask. I have no problem giving Russia it's credit when they have beaten our best,and you should have no problem giving our teams credit when we have beaten your best.When you understand this idea and practice it we'll get along with little problems.Until then...............don't hold your breath.

You have every right to 'hate' Russian hockey, however, it DOES make you extremely biased.....and (as you've even alluded to towards Russian posters) its hard to argue with somebody who doesn't see anything in an objective manner.

However, I think we can meet somewhere in the middle. True....you do give credit where credit is due; I'll give you that -- but you fail to admit the advantages Canada ALWAYS had against the Soviets.

Canada won fair and square under the circumstances - however, it's these circumstances that many Russians see as illegitimate (much like you see the WC). Apart from the last Summit Series games, every meaningful contest between the superpowers was always in Canada, on the small ice, in front of a Canadian crowd, with Canadian refs. The Soviets were fighting an uphill battle every single time. And in a best on best series, it's not a fair way to determine the true champion when 1 side always has home ice/field advantage -- that goes for any sport.

Again, Canada deserved to win - but many of you Canadian 'homers' fail to acknowledge that the Canada Cup was set up for Canada to win. And in the eyes of many, that makes the CC illegitimate - and can be construed as Canada needing home ice/home refs to win; or even as cheating. That's the truth, plain and simple.
I can only imagine the Canadian response if every 'best on best' tourney was held in Russia, on the big ice, in front of hostile Soviet fans, with Soviets refs. You Canada fans would be complaining nonstop too.

Maybe you can call me the Canadian Hitler or something next post.

Don't be juvenile.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad