HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I don’t have access to the Athletic but do I understand that he’s concerned with how fans perceive him as opposed to how he’s part of every other fake trade scenario on social media and talk shows?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t have access to the Athletic but do I understand that he’s concerned with how fans perceive him as opposed to how he’s part of every other fake trade scenario on social media and talk shows?

I'm not sure concerned is the right word, the word he used was frustrated.

And it was presented as both, but more about some of the really dumb takes on his play (and general tenor of the comments) online.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not sure concerned is the right word, the word he used was frustrated.

And it was presented as both, but more about some of the really dumb takes on his play (and general tenor of the comments) online.
Concerned is an appropriate word since Matheson admits to “some” frustration, the qualifier diminishes the impact.

He’s been around the league long enough to not lose sleep over it. I’d venture that it’s the combination of a large, rabid fan base (which naturally comes with a lot of good and expectedly a vocal, negative fringe contingent, as one finds in any other significant market in any pro sport), the fact that he’s hearing it while playing in his home city and, even if the blurb didn’t say it, there is always a toxic fallout for family and friends that will trickle down to him.

Dumb takes are also to be expected from the usual suspects hunting for clicks and who don’t do their homework.

Overall, the guy comes across as a caring teammate who doesn’t hide from the media and who does his best to answer in French and I’m sure there is a majority who appreciates him for the class act that he is as well as the career year he’s had.

Hopefully, he sees that there is more than enough good to help him put the harshly negative takes in proper perspective.

I liked how when Hutson was announced to be coming to the team, it was him and Suzuki that welcomed Hutson in person. I thought that said a lot about how valued he is.

Last edited:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Unfortunately, you can't bury players in the AHL anymore. They'd only be saving ~1M on the cap if they sent him down.
Yes, that's what I meant. That considered he's got a NMC, so that wouldn't work. And, the contract is not really an issue as they look ready to rebuild.

Reactions: c3z4r

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Mailloux is all tools, no toolbox kind of D. A 3rd pairing D upside with a good shot. That's it.

I think his value will never be higher than this summer, especially with all the hype from his all-star AHL rookie season.

If you can somehow package him with Winnipeg 1st ++ to get a Zegras or a Necas, you HAVE to do it.

That guy is waaaaay overrated. Saw him in person a few times with Laval and let's just say Reinbacher looked a lot better/smarter even if 3 years younger.

Verbeek wants a RD, let's sell him the sh** out of Mailloux.

Evolution of Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.
For me, it is Harris, Mailloux + Winnipeg's 1st.

• Haha
Reactions: 26Mats

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Concerned is an appropriate word since Matheson admits to “some” frustration, the qualifier diminishes the impact.

He’s been around the league long enough to not lose sleep over it. I’d venture that it’s the combination of a large, rabid fan base (which naturally comes with a lot of good and expectedly a vocal, negative fringe contingent, as one finds in any other significant market in any pro sport), the fact that he’s hearing it while playing in his home city and, even if the blurb didn’t say it, there is always a toxic fallout for family and friends that will trickle down to him.

Dumb takes are also to be expected from the usual suspects hunting for clicks and who don’t do their homework.

Overall, the guy comes across as a caring teammate who doesn’t hide from the media and who does his best to answer in French and I’m sure there is a majority who appreciates him for the class act that he is as well as the career year he’s had.

Hopefully, he sees that there is more than enough good to help him put the harshly negative takes in proper perspective.

I liked how when Hutson was announced to be coming to the team, it was him and Suzuki that welcomed Hutson in person. I thought that said a lot about how valued he is.
The actual quote is "I see it. I see the way people talk about me sometimes, and it’s frustrating,"

He goes on to talk about teams needing both safe player and risk takers who both know when to make their moves.

Then "I think some people get a little excited online. I take that into account. I feel like everybody I’ve ever met in person has nothing but good things to say, so that’s always fun."

Then there's almost two dozen extra paragraphs and it seems more to the effect that Arpon was slanting the title and tone of the article. AKA, he asked numerous questions and threaded together a plot from a number of answers that had similar themes.

Edit: For @Runner77 In regards to Hutson, Matheson has some stuff to say too. He starts out saying the two of them not only have similar playstyles, but similar personalities and that was something he noticed during their dinner. He's later quoted as saying "So he has a lot of great potential, and I’ll definitely do my best to help him as much as I can, and learn from him too as much as I can.” “I think Lane makes our team a lot better and I like to think that I do too.”

Hopefully I haven't overstepped my bounds because there are at least 15-20~ish paragraphs of article I haven't described.

My big problem with Basu is that during this article he is very clearly either asking questions or using answers to questions that Matheson provided to other reporters. That said, he doesn't bother telling you what the question was, he only decides to write 2-3+ paragraphs of his own interpretations and biases before presenting a quote from Matheson without the context of the question that prompted it. Hack journalism, but not as hack as the usual bottom feeders, he's coated it with a thin veneer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
As I've said before, I expect a trade for an overpaid RD on an expiring contract with a sweetener from a contender for a warm body. I can't see them leaving Guhle on his wrong side another season. After the trade deadline you call up Rein.
and Mailloux to replace Savard and the RD you acquired

A trade for a similar forward or two would make more sense than commiting to UFAs.

Dealing picks and prospects for a youngish forward should only happen if the ideal one is available and will probably be dependent on who we draft in the 1st round.

I keep reading posters saying we need to deal from a position of strength, the defensive prospects we have, but other than Guhle who is a top 4, all the rest are way to early to know if they are top 4 material or all 5-6-7 defensemen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why would Calgary do that?? Loo
It actually could be good for Calgary: Go into full rebuild and get rid of Huberdeau's contract. Plus get their 1st round pick back.
Gallagher and Anderson are off the books in 3 years, when they are ready to compete again, unlike Huberdeau.

So let's say Huberdeau and Gallagher are a wash. Then you get a 1st for Andersson.

Yeah it seems weighted in our favor. But that's a big chance we're taking on Huberdeau's contract. He's signed until he's like 38 and already declining at 31. Maybe it's not so weighted in our favor, it's just the price Calgary is already willing to pay to get out of the Huberdeau deal.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It actually could be good for Calgary: Go into full rebuild and get rid of Huberdeau's contract. Plus get their 1st round pick back.
Gallagher and Anderson are off the books in 3 years, when they are ready to compete again, unlike Huberdeau.

So let's say Huberdeau and Gallagher are a wash. Then you get a 1st for Andersson.

Yeah it seems weighted in our favor. But that's a big chance we're taking on Huberdeau's contract. He's signed until he's like 38 and already declining at 31. Maybe it's not so weighted in our favor, it's just the price Calgary is already willing to pay to get out of the Huberdeau deal.
7 years for 3? Yeah right

Reactions: 26Mats

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I get Matheson being a little bit frustrated reading some of the takes online. It would be bad in a market like Montreal, where you can't escape it. I do feel for him a little.

On the other hand...

The guy is legit one of the worst defensive D I've ever watched, and I was here for the Doug Murray years. Everything people used to (wrongly) say about PK Subban's D is true about Matheson. He is literally "making one too many moves" personified as a hockey player.

Some posters/fans/media write off all of this. "Risk vs. Reward", they say. Look at his points! Look at his highlight reel goals! Fair enough.

But this year, the games didn't matter. We knew the Habs were going to be bad. They weren't competing for a playoff spot, or in the thick of races, when a lot of this bonehead plays occurred. Who cares if Matheson tried to do it all himself in 3 on 3 and cost us the game again? We're tanking!

If he thinks it's bad now, wait until he's costing us valuable points/games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad