What if Mario had missed?

Pfft

Aug 21, 2006
Why can't you just accept the Soviet loss with class and honor. I complain about refs when the complaint is legit. Your's is not. Suck it up..

This particular complaint seems to be supported by the video. Of course, both sides benefitted from the poor officiating here--the difference being which team got the winning goal as a result.

Dogbert*

Why is it that whenever Russia beats Canada, it's the greatest accomplishment by any international squad in the history of the sport... but when Canada beats Russia, they cheated?

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
So much hate from cyclopes; he just proved Vlad's point even more.

case in point is the fact that Canadian fans have no problem saying there was a hook on the Mario goal but you refusing to just admit there was a hook on Bourque.........there you state it was "debateable" Typical stuff that i've grown VERY used to. It just goes to show that as fans you are exactly what i say you are.
Because that hook is debatable and if it did deserve a penalty, it did not get called because there were so many calls favoring Canada, including a major hook by Messier 30 seconds earlier (Canada could have scored after that).

Listen here and listen good.This was a thread about what would have happened had Mario missed that shot.Then you ( a Russian fan) come in and hi-jack the thread with no good reason whatsoever.
I hijacked it? Look at the responses before me. This is not a serious thread.

There is lot's of Russians that have no love for Canadian hockey,i can think of two right off the bat in this thread
You are just making assumptions.

If Russia had won the Summit Series Vlad and YM would probably sit there with pride ignoring the absolutely god awful officiating favoring the Russian team then.
I only saw some games of that series a long time ago, so I can't comment on the officiating. But I recently saw the last game of the 74 series and the stupid Canadian commentators were very critical of Kompalla's officiating when in fact he was making the right calls. For example, they would complain how he did not call a penalty on the Soviets when he did, and they only realized that half way through the penalty. And at the end it was really funny: Kompalla called a too many men on the ice penalty when the Canadians pulled their goalie and the commentators said that he is so bad he did not realize that a sixth player replaced the goalie or that he can't even count, that he was securing the Soviet win. However, there were seven Canadian on the ice (it was not the referee who could not count). So based on this, I don't believe the Soviet biased officiating in the 72 series complaints (I know, I need to see other games).

Why can't you just accept the Soviet loss with class and honor. I complain about refs when the complaint is legit. Your's is not. Suck it up.
My complaints are legitimate. I would accept the Canadian win if it was achieved with honor.

VladNYC*

LoL! What did i say? Long essays filled with bigotry and non sense! What else do you call hating a whole group of people indiscriminately but racisim? I guess your schooling was poor, so here is my charity work for the day.

racism
–noun

1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

bigot
-noun

1:One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

2: see cyclops

You know i have a weird feeling that Cyclops is a self loathing Russian fan who is just really pissed off at our national team or maybe a pissed off son of Eastern Europeans who lived under communist rule. Look at his AWFUL grammar. I thought people in Canada were supposed to know English? Do you just have a program that throws in terms like “Bush League†and random pissed off catch phrases like, “That's below the belt sucka!†“Wha'cha ya talking about Russian?†“ I pity the fool who don't like team Canada!†and just spews them out into long, random, grammatically incorrect combinations, hoping that the pure length and unreadability of them will make your opposition leave? I didn't come in here to argue over the shot. A shot is a shot. It went in, it's history. I just came in to explain to a fellow poster what was going on in the thread. Did you see me comment on the goal or the penalty?

As for why we always say you cheat; well it is simple. Home ice, home rules, home officials, in a place that doesn't care about what kind of hockey game is played, as long as Canada wins. When we sent our best over, your goons would purposely injure our stars and instead of apologizing, their behavior is praised and encouraged. Team Canada is a lot better these days, all of the guys on the team are world class athletes and are some of the best of the best. That is totally different then what it was like in the USSR days, when you had guys like Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle on the request of a national team coach. Clarke was a Hero for that and it's that kind of crap that really put our opinion of Canadian hockey wins in the gutter.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
I try to be as unbiased as I can. If what I say could not be supported by evidence, I would not say it.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
It's like asking whether WWI would've been prevented if Princip missed archduke Ferdinand.

If Mario missed, Canada would've won in OT.
There are laws of historical necessity. Canada had to win in 1987 just to puntcuate that for all the efforts the Soviet governmental sports machine extended into building a perfect hockey team, the NHL pros were still better. If only by a little bit. If only by the sheer force of their determination. By a hair on Gretzky's baby chin. But still better.

Last edited:

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Why is it that whenever Russia beats Canada, it's the greatest accomplishment by any international squad in the history of the sport... but when Canada beats Russia, they cheated?

People are not objective. Besides, many of us were raised with tall tales about "soulless Canadian professionals" who trample over "noble interests of sport" in pursuit of the All-Mighty Dollar.
As our hockey superiority was just about the only Soviet myth which could be easily confirmed with physical evidence, people were protective of it and ready to believe any explanation when life contradicted it somehow.

So, yes, the Candians won in 1972 because they were bloodthirsty gorillas out to kill. And in 1987 because the referees would let them get away with murder on home ice. And so on and so forth. But our 1972 basketball win in Munich was as clean as Mary of Nazareth's bedsheets and completely free of any controversy.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Well, that does describe Bobby Clarke pretty well:D

He turned out OK eventually. Could put the puck in the back of the net, no problem. Hey, the rough stuff was part of hockey in those days. Mikhailov kicked someone with his skate, which arguably is no better.
Russians could've fought back if their officials had let them. Yakushev or Ragulin would've held their own in fisticuffs against anyone the Canadians could put up. But they didn't let them. And, who knows, maybe this is why they wound up losing.

VladNYC*

blahblah blah

Cyclops is that you?

I would really love to hear by whom and where you were raised that you heard these “tales”. Maybe you lived in the soviet sport ministry office? It's not like we all had a meeting after the game and then the official memo from the politburo came and was read aloud and we all believed that and recited it. We watch the games on TV like any one else, in any other country. Is Clarke a gut less *******? Yes, most Canadians will tell you the same. The Munich basketball thing? Even soviet documentaries state that we won due to a error in our favor. Other debatable things such as ref calls are just that, debatable.

The rough stuff was part of CANADIAN hockey, not HOCKEY. How is Mikhailov kicking some one in the heat of the moment the same as bobby clarke purposly breaking Kharlamov's ankle after encouragement from the coach?

Are you here to right the wrongs of communism by being self defeating? If so please remove that little Russia flag from your location, ok there sport?

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

The bottom line is that the thread is about what would have happened if mario had missed on that shot,not what would have happened if the Soviet player had'nt gotten hooked.I don't think there is a Canadian fan on here that,having seen the play,would suggest the Soviet player was'nt hooked,it's really not debateable at all (not that it is part of the original discussion but a Russian fan made it so not a Canadian one) but the hook on Bourque isn't debateable either and it cost us a goal earlier in the game,you can''t cry about bias and Russian hating when fans from Russia won't return the honour showed by Canadian fans in admitting our players transgressions when you can't admit yours.

And That's where the rubber meets the road here in this argument and you've graded out badly without even realising it,so bad that you've resorted to acting very cheaply and throwing racism comments out when the argument was started by yourselves out of now-where and worse, when you can't return the same rationality that Canadian fans show towards plays and calls that were made in that game.

and it's this sort of attitude that i've noticed in spades from Russian fans and it's a big reason why i don't/can't like your teams.

But theres nothing wrong or evil with not liking your teams.It 's a free country and people form opinions.This thread has further convinced me your fans have a lot of attitude problems.That's o.k.......just don't lie to cover up the **** you've started and how you behave.

Have a shred of honour at the very least.

If you don't believe what i just said simply go back and read this thread from start to finish and if you are the un biased little angels you make yourself out to be you'll see what i said concerning you is spot on.

no embarrassment and no apoligies on my part whatsoever as it stands here right now.Why should/would i?

I'm not your punk and i never will be.Some fans may in the hopes of getting a few strokes......................i never will.

espo*

I try to be as unbiased as I can. If what I say could not be supported by evidence, I would not say it.

You're not un-biased at all.............far from it.

Only a complete dummy would not be able to see that.

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland

I am not sure what you mean by calling me cyclops. It must be a part of some discussion I wasn't involved in.
And I really hate to break this to you, since I know it will come as a shock, but hockey was invented by Canadians. It's true, look it up.
So it's not up to us to tell them how to play it, really. They played it their way, we played it our way - fair enough. Their way wound up on top - so what? Not like it was unexpected. They are the motherland of hockey and I, as a hockey fan, will always be grateful to Canada for inventing this game for my enjoyment.

I also find it useful to grow enough balls to respect a more than worthy opponent. If only for the fact that by refusing to respect one, I will not invite much respect myself. I suggest you do it too, especailly in this day and age, when our masters of the stick and the skate are able to stave off starvation by playing here, for the wretched North American dollar.

espo*

cyclops would be able to sleep at night

I could'nt care less about your country,what you do as a nation does'nt concern me.

Now what your hockey teams do,that concern me.

Would i be able to sleep at night knowing your hockey teams did'nt exist? i would'nt sleep well because that would mean we don't have you to play anymore and if we don't have you to play anymore it means we don't have the chance to beat you..........and there is nothing in the world i love more then beating Russia in hockey. is that bigotry? nope...........it's rivalry,that's what sports brings out and as a sports fan you recognize that.Are you saying you don't love when you beat us? Yeah right.

I don't like Russian hockey,I respect it and the talent it produces sure................but i don't like your teams.That will never change and i would'nt want it to.

espo*

LoL! What did i say? Long essays filled with bigotry and non sense! What else do you call hating a whole group of people indiscriminately but racisim? I guess your schooling was poor, so here is my charity work for the day.

racism
–noun

1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races
2: discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of another race

bigot
-noun

1:One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

2: see cyclops

You know i have a weird feeling that Cyclops is a self loathing Russian fan who is just really pissed off at our national team or maybe a pissed off son of Eastern Europeans who lived under communist rule. Look at his AWFUL grammar. I thought people in Canada were supposed to know English? Do you just have a program that throws in terms like “Bush League” and random pissed off catch phrases like, “That's below the belt sucka!” “Wha'cha ya talking about Russian?” “ I pity the fool who don't like team Canada!” and just spews them out into long, random, grammatically incorrect combinations, hoping that the pure length and unreadability of them will make your opposition leave? I didn't come in here to argue over the shot. A shot is a shot. It went in, it's history. I just came in to explain to a fellow poster what was going on in the thread. Did you see me comment on the goal or the penalty?

As for why we always say you cheat; well it is simple. Home ice, home rules, home officials, in a place that doesn't care about what kind of hockey game is played, as long as Canada wins. When we sent our best over, your goons would purposely injure our stars and instead of apologizing, their behavior is praised and encouraged. Team Canada is a lot better these days, all of the guys on the team are world class athletes and are some of the best of the best. That is totally different then what it was like in the USSR days, when you had guys like Bobby Clarke breaking Kharlamov's ankle on the request of a national team coach. Clarke was a Hero for that and it's that kind of crap that really put our opinion of Canadian hockey wins in the gutter.

Listen to this crap.

God, do i need anymore proof as to how bad you guys are as fans?

You're sickening,you really are.

You guys are easily(as i've said) the worst fans in hockey.You've got absolutely ZERO honour.You keep showing it each and every post.

Now go and mind your own business kid,like you should have done form the start.Just stop being such a punk,please.

Can you do that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I've never met hockey fans anywhere in the world with as pig-headed and bad an attitude as you folks.

See, this is called bigotry. I have seen my share of sore American losers and extremely biased Canadian media.
But I have enough brains not to extrapolate those people's traits on the corresponding nations.

espo*

i've yet to see a fan from there on here who did not share this attitude.If they exist..i'
ve never seen them here.

and they've got the gall to complain about bias and bigotry.

No class.Like i've said,it's the same low class and attitude that's been on display with their teams and management for years now.The same type of mindset that caused them to sookie baby and want to pull out of the games in Salt Lake.And it's ALWAYS there when they don't/can't win.They are the biggest spoiled brats in international hockey today.

You see it out of Vlad and his co-horts here.The same kind of mindset.

espo*

See, this is called bigotry. I have seen my share of sore American losers and extremely biased Canadian media.
But I have enough brains not to extrapolate those people's traits on the corresponding nations.

No,i'd say comments like 'bloodthirsty gorillas" is bigotry.

Was'nt it you who threw that out above?

Does'nt matter anyway,the thread was interupted and rudely thrown off course bya Russian fan.You're going to have to accept that and hopefully be a man and admit it.There are problems here now,and a Russian fan started it.This is certainly not debateable.

are you honourable enough to admit that? or do you or one of your fans have to engage in any more lies to cover this up?

Tighina

Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
No,i'd say comments like 'bloodthirsty gorillas" is bigotry.

Was'nt it you who threw that out above?

I was sure that the word "sarcasm" was included in the dictionary of Canadian English.
I could be wrong, though.

Does'nt matter anyway,the thread was interupted and rudely thrown off course bya Russian fan.You're going to have to accept that and hopefully be a man and admit it.There are problems here now,and a Russian fan started it.This is certainly not debateable.

An article "a" before the word "fan", which also lacks an "s" in the end, implies that the subject is singular. Taking your displeasure over it and spreading it onto a nation of hundreds of millions of people (it's called "plural", by the way) is certainly a wrong thing to do. "Wrong" means "bad".
"Certainly" means "like".

"Displeasure" means "a wad made out of panties".

"Implies" also means "like".

Last edited:

espo*

I am not sure what you mean by calling me cyclops. It must be a part of some discussion I wasn't involved in.
And I really hate to break this to you, since I know it will come as a shock, but hockey was invented by Canadians. It's true, look it up.
So it's not up to us to tell them how to play it, really. They played it their way, we played it our way - fair enough. Their way wound up on top - so what? Not like it was unexpected. They are the motherland of hockey and I, as a hockey fan, will always be grateful to Canada for inventing this game for my enjoyment.

I also find it useful to grow enough balls to respect a more than worthy opponent. If only for the fact that by refusing to respect one, I will not invite much respect myself. I suggest you do it too, especailly in this day and age, when our masters of the stick and the skate are able to stave off starvation by playing here, for the wretched North American dollar.

Now this is more like it.This i can work with.

I don't expect Russian fans to be fans of our teams,i do expect them to give us the same respect as players an the victories we have earned with our players the same we give yours.

We don't begrudge Russian fans their victory in 1981...........why begrudge us ours in other years?

Any other attitude from your fans is not acceptable with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad