What if Mario had missed?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
In the 87 Canada Cup, Lemieux completely ignored a wide open Larry Murphy who had a wide open net, and instead chose to shoot a 3 inch puck through a 4 inch opening. What happens if he misses?

You have it wrong on a couple of instances. Mario didn't ignore Murphy, Gretzky did. It was something they talked about during the tournament, Gretzky said to Mario that if they ever entered the zone with an oddman rush, 'you've got a better shot than I do, so I'm going to pass it to you. Don't think, just shoot it'.

And I don't know how long its been seen you've seen the goal, but Mario was wide open and in prime scoring position.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
You have it wrong on a couple of instances. Mario didn't ignore Murphy, Gretzky did. It was something they talked about during the tournament, Gretzky said to Mario that if they ever entered the zone with an oddman rush, 'you've got a better shot than I do, so I'm going to pass it to you. Don't think, just shoot it'.

And I don't know how long its been seen you've seen the goal, but Mario was wide open and in prime scoring position.

First of all, you're taking my post way too seriously. I thought you'd get it with the 3inch puck in a 4inch hole comment. It's been a joke amoung my friends for awhile that Lemieux chose to shoot instead of pass to Murphy who had an empty net.

Second of all, the pass to Lemieux was the easier pass for Gretzky. Gretzky would have had to pass through a d-man to get a pass to Murphy.

Here's a grainy video of the goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZnRHOKqEIQ

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
What can I say? I'm a very serious man.

colbert1.jpg

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
What if he went back in time and hooked up with his mom? Instead of starting to disappear, would his forehead start to slope and his mental capacity start to diminish?

He'd be cheering for the sens in no time :D

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
To tell you the truth Murphy was a very good offensive d-man. And he was probably the best decoy of all time. Gretzky is the smartest player in the history of the game he knew what he was doing.
Mario almost never missed when he aimed at the top corner he had it down to a science even at that time. If you look at the replay it would have been hard for Gretzky to get a pass over to Murphy. But as soon as Gretzky passe you'll notice Murphy put his stick on the ice right away thinking it was going to him. Either way it was meant to be.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
I know the Soviet Dman made a poor decision at the Canadian blue line to let the play happen to begin with, but this is the first time I've really analyzed the last Soviet Dman in the 3 on 1 - mostly cause I get caught admiring one of the great Canadian hockey moments ever.

That was a brutal effort by the Defenceman. Of course I probably would have crapped my pants to seeing Wayne and Mario come in on me with the game on the line.

And how about that little tug that brought down the Soviet back checker? Hmmm, I think that was the little play that could have changed history.:sarcasm:

The full replay is here. Canada down 3-0 and 4-2. Just not the same without the sound.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2rg_-JwlN-o

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
And you missed just about every goal Canada scored that game.
And about Bourque being tripped on that goal, that is dabatable, but Koharski did not call it probably because he let a blatent hook go 30 earlier that allowed Canada scoring chances on the powerplay.

espo*

And you missed just about every goal Canada scored that game.
And about Bourque being tripped on that goal, that is dabatable, but Koharski did not call it probably because he let a blatent hook go 30 earlier that allowed Canada scoring chances on the powerplay.

All of Canada's goals were because of bad officiating?............... only you guys can spew this crap:shakehead

And you would have to have your head unscrewed not to think that was a penalty on Bourque,it's not in the least debatable and that's not my opinion it's a fact..You guys got beat by the better team,just like you usually did when you played our best teams.

Just live with it.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Usually? That is an over optimistic way of seeing it.
I don't know how you can say that Canada was a better team when they only barely won on their home ice, with their rules, with such favorable officiating, and by a goal that should not have been allowed to be scored (because of the hook).
I sense you are mad, probably because you know that there is truth in what I say.

I say the hook on Bourque is dabatable because it did not look like that that hook could have brought him down. Even the Canadian commentator says that he just fell down.
Look at the game carefully; 5 out of six goals were a result of a bad call or a bad no call.
I know you being a Canadian fan makes it hard for you to accept this, but you have to look at this without bias.

VladNYC*

cyclops has never looked at any Canada - Russia/USSR thread without bias. It's not gonna happen ever, so just ignore him. Don't even mention Canada Cup 81 to him, he will start writing long, angry, racist fueled, essays on how the USSR team is crap and how russia these days couldn't beat a team of zambonis. He likes to pretend that the Canada cup is the only time the USSR played the west. When you see the name cyclops in a history or international play thread, just skip over it.

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

Usually? That is an over optimistic way of seeing it.
I don't know how you can say that Canada was a better team when they only barely won on their home ice, with their rules, with such favorable officiating, and by a goal that should not have been allowed to be scored (because of the hook).
I sense you are mad, probably because you know that there is truth in what I say.

I say the hook on Bourque is dabatable because it did not look like that that hook could have brought him down. Even the Canadian commentator says that he just fell down.
Look at the game carefully; 5 out of six goals were a result of a bad call or a bad no call.
I know you being a Canadian fan makes it hard for you to accept this, but you have to look at this without bias.

Bias does'nt come into it.According to the rules of the game a hook is a penalty,seeing as it was a clear as blue sky only a blind ref could have missed it style hook the facts are clear(facts not always being clear to Russian fans of course.But i've been aware of this for close to 30 years)

and the final score of the 3rd and final game?....................6-5 for the good guys.What's the bias?................are you saying you did'nt lose? The results are clear,You lost ( and we loved it)

As for rules,our rules are the rules.I don't see what you're trying to say there.Your rules are just rules you made up to make yourself happy but it does';nt change the fact that the rules developed in Canada (the creators of the game) are THE rules.

Start taking your lumps like men boys.You got beat by a better team with better more skillful players.It was'nt the first time and it sure as hell won't be the last.

YMB29

Sep 25, 2006
Bias does'nt come into it.According to the rules of the game a hook is a penalty,seeing as it was a clear as blue sky only a blind ref could have missed it style hook the facts are clear(facts not always being clear to Russian fans of course.But i've been aware of this for close to 30 years)

and the final score of the 3rd and final game?....................6-5 for the good guys.What's the bias?................are you saying you did'nt lose? The results are clear,You lost ( and we loved it)

As for rules,our rules are the rules.I don't see what you're trying to say there.Your rules are just rules you made up to make yourself happy but it does';nt change the fact that the rules developed in Canada (the creators of the game) are THE rules.

Start taking your lumps like men boys.You got beat by a better team with better more skillful players.It was'nt the first time and it sure as hell won't be the last.
You just proved what VladNYC said about you.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
He didn't, that's what it means to be clutch.

And if you want to continue this train of though, what if he passed it and pass got cut off? What if he passed it and Murphy missed the net? Does it matter? He didn't and that's just one of the many great moments he brought to this sport.

espo*

You just proved what VladNYC said about you.

Really? no,he just said what you wanted to hear.

Listen here and listen good.This was a thread about what would have happened had Mario missed that shot.Then you ( a Russian fan) come in and hi-jack the thread with no good reason whatsoever.That is undebatable,if you deny this you are a liar,plain and simple.You guys amaze me and it's the reason i don't like your teams and fans.You take a thread about something that has nothing to do with what you want to spew venom about and turn it into that with no justification whasoever.Then,when someopne has the balls to call you on it you get all bushleague(just like your teams and players of late) and pull this........'if you don't agree with us you are racist" ****.You start the **** and then try to protect your hides with some buzz words that are common and in vogue today because you know it may sway a few stupid trouts guillible enough not to see that you are both the troublemakers and ignorant ones who refuse to give anyone else any respect whatsoever yet demand everyone give it to you.case in point is the fact that Canadian fans have no problem saying there was a hook on the Mario goal but you refusing to just admit there was a hook on Bourque.........there you state it was "debateable" Typical stuff that i've grown VERY used to. It just goes to show that as fans you are exactly what i say you are.

It's the same kind of behaviour that was on display in Salt lake when you wanted to take your ball and go home because you were sore losers.And that's par for the course from you guys for a lot of years now and that's why i don't like your teams.Your fans are sickening,they really are.Just look at what you did here in this thread and how you try to go about getting yourself off the hook for being such arrogant s.o.b's. To stir up trouble and then cry racism when someone tells you like it is is about as bush league and cowardly as you can get. Disliking Russian hockey and their boorish fans does'nt make anyone anything other then exactly that and you give me plenty of reasons to hate your hockey teams and fans.I don't hide behind anything when it comes to your hockey or fans......................i don't like it or you,and you give me all the reasons on the world to feel that way.

You are disrespectful and hit below the belt while being so and it's that kind of bush league stuff that has been on display from your teams from everything from the olympics to world juniors to behaviour as fans here.

You've got the gall to come on a thread that has nothing at all to do with what you wanted to talk about and then cry "racism" when someone says..........NO!!!

As a group in international hockey you are biased and have no class,if you need any proof just read this thread from start to finish and if you have half a clue you'll figure it out (if not admit it)

There is lot's of Russians that have no love for Canadian hockey,i can think of two right off the bat in this thread.But i recognize it for that,you won't catch me lowering myself with bush league **** and start calling you racists because of it. That's kiddy stuff boys,and like boys is how you are acting.

You know what else is kiddy stuff? demanding respect but not giving any.Forget about that with me,you 'll never get it from me with that attitude. You don't get **** from me by acting like you have here.

You don't embarrass me whatsoever,you can't be embarrassed by people who give you zero reason to respect them.Case in point is this thread.Typical behaviour from your fans.The exact type of behaviour and attitude that fans can see from your team and management at tournaments and on the ice and sadly......................right here.

espo*

cyclops has never looked at any Canada - Russia/USSR thread without bias. It's not gonna happen ever, so just ignore him. Don't even mention Canada Cup 81 to him, he will start writing long, angry, racist fueled, essays on how the USSR team is crap and how russia these days couldn't beat a team of zambonis. He likes to pretend that the Canada cup is the only time the USSR played the west. When you see the name cyclops in a history or international play thread, just skip over it.

I've never done any of what you say here,show me where i've ever said any of what you say i said. it's funny you mention Canada cup 81(i've always given credit for Russia winning that) the trouble is................it's the only Canada cup Russian fans will say was legitimate and proves anything,lol

And of course it's the one they were victorious in.what is their attitude to the Canada cups they did not win in? well,you can read it right here in this thread...........they were cheated out of victory,our refs,our rinks,our rules.but of course none of this matters when considering 1981. You deny this Vlad? Or is there another lie you would like to tell for everyones great benefit?

God,you are arrogant fans.But you don't have to stoop to new lows and lie .

Have some honour.

KariyaIsGod*

It's funny...

If Russia had won the Summit Series Vlad and YM would probably sit there with pride ignoring the absolutely god awful officiating favoring the Russian team then.

Yet, here they sit, complaining about pretty good officiating in another series, because they lost.

The cherry on top is them accusing somebody of bias... :biglaugh:

Why can't you just accept the Soviet loss with class and honor. I complain about refs when the complaint is legit. Your's is not. Suck it up..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->