Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm glad that Money Bags Meruelo disagrees.
We’ve proved that you can’t move the least popular major sport to the middle of nowhere, halfway to Los Angeles, and then suck for 20 years, doing nothing but embarrassing yourself the whole time.

If there was any question whether that was an effective model, we’ve shown without a doubt it’s not.

I still believe, in fact I know, that the Coyotes can be successful in this market. And I believe (know) that it can happen faster and more completely than in the other rumored markets because of some of the foundation that’s been built over time. But along with that has been unimaginably bad brand equity. There’s a lot to overcom.

Luckily, it’s pretty simple to turn this around. They need only do two things. 1) put an arena where there are hockey fans and 2) win hockey games. That’s it.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I was at a barbershop yesterday. 15 dudes. All major sports fans. All 20s-40s. They were having a laugh at my shoulder injury (they remember the femur) and hockey came up (I dislocated my shoulder and tore my labrum in men’s league). They all agreed that they could name only one single Coyote: Shane Doan.

A few thought he still played for them. A few thought they relocated a long time ago and a few thought they were in Glendale. Nobody knew they were at Mullett. And the ones who’d heard the Tempe deal failed assumed the Yotes were trying to rip off the city. I explained that while that was true in Glendale and true of every other arena deal ever, this was the first good arena deal in history and the Yotes were really helping Tempe out of a huge bind.

When I told them the voters hurt themselves in voting it down, the consensus was that is proof the valley doesn’t want this team. Cities are willing to forego good business just to avoid having to house this team. All agreed they should be thrown out of the state.

Get a new barbershop.

1) put an arena where there are hockey fans and 2) win hockey games.

#2 helps solve #1

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I was at a barbershop yesterday. 15 dudes. All major sports fans. All 20s-40s. They were having a laugh at my shoulder injury (they remember the femur) and hockey came up (I dislocated my shoulder and tore my labrum in men’s league). They all agreed that they could name only one single Coyote: Shane Doan.

A few thought he still played for them. A few thought they relocated a long time ago and a few thought they were in Glendale. Nobody knew they were at Mullett. And the ones who’d heard the Tempe deal failed assumed the Yotes were trying to rip off the city. I explained that while that was true in Glendale and true of every other arena deal ever, this was the first good arena deal in history and the Yotes were really helping Tempe out of a huge bind.

When I told them the voters hurt themselves in voting it down, the consensus was that is proof the valley doesn’t want this team. Cities are willing to forego good business just to avoid having to house this team. All agreed they should be thrown out of the state.
It just goes to show how far this team has to go to have any relevance in the valley sports scene.

They’re probably behind even Phoenix Rising now. Starting to win will help.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I stopped bringing up the Coyotes long ago. Sick of having to go into defense mode every time they come up. Sure does seem like most Arizonans do hate them. The next large group could care less about the team and then we're all that's left.

Gonna take years and years of doing things right to turn it around. Lots of mending to do.

Reactions: moosemeister

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’m not sure I agree. I could be wrong but If Mesa gets involved it goes to the ballot and gets voted down. The main appeal of the location is it’s not tied to a municipality.

I agree it would be in mesas best interest. And it would be a shame for them to miss out. But it was in tempes best interest too. And it was also a shame they missed out. I can’t see this ending any differently. People are just too lazy.
Wonder if they could annex after it was built? Maybe after a year of how successful it does and then the city votes and a unanimous yea vote?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It'd help if the franchise wouldn't keep shooting themselves in the foot with a bazooka.

True.... some of it is deserved..... but then you see reporters like Jeremy Cluff at the Republic do a story on how atrocious the Coyotes' 2023 draft was based on a couple of social media influencers rather than people who really know.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
That's how I responded to someone in another subforum about the league mismanaging the Coyotes - basically if not for a few hundred gullible and/or ignorant people in Tempe, we were on a really good plan. Still might be on the hockey side, if not the keeping-it-in-Arizona side.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's how I responded to someone in another subforum about the league mismanaging the Coyotes - basically if not for a few hundred gullible and/or ignorant people in Tempe, we were on a really good plan. Still might be on the hockey side, if not the keeping-it-in-Arizona side.

Meanwhile over in the other forum the best I can make out from the bits and pieces I see is they’re discussing the virtues of living in Winnipeg. :laugh:

I spent months trying to get people engaged on the details of the actual proposal and very few people really cared.

Reactions: Stumbledore

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
We’ve proved that you can’t move the least popular major sport to the middle of nowhere, halfway to Los Angeles, and then suck for 20 years, doing nothing but embarrassing yourself the whole time.

If there was any question whether that was an effective model, we’ve shown without a doubt it’s not.

I still believe, in fact I know, that the Coyotes can be successful in this market. And I believe (know) that it can happen faster and more completely than in the other rumored markets because of some of the foundation that’s been built over time. But along with that has been unimaginably bad brand equity. There’s a lot to overcom.

Luckily, it’s pretty simple to turn this around. They need only do two things. 1) put an arena where there are hockey fans and 2) win hockey games. That’s it.
agreed 100%. not saying its a cool thing… but winning will draw in lots of fans who will otherwise ignore the team. i guarantee if the yotes were to win the cup ( i said if), they would own the valley for awhile.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
agreed 100%. not saying its a cool thing… but winning will draw in lots of fans who will otherwise ignore the team. i guarantee if the yotes were to win the cup ( i said if), they would own the valley for awhile.
Winning is ALL that matters.

Yotes2000

Jan 13, 2021
Chandler, AZ
I stopped bringing up the Coyotes long ago. Sick of having to go into defense mode every time they come up. Sure does seem like most Arizonans do hate them. The next large group could care less about the team and then we're all that's left.

Gonna take years and years of doing things right to turn it around. Lots of mending to do.
This is why I would be open to a full 100% re-branding of the team. Full on expansion team mode. Get the community involved in it also.

The Coyotes brand is tainted and forever will be.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
If the league hadn't managed the Coyotes, they wouldn't still be here, whether it was mis-managed or not. No city owes Bettman more than this one.

If Meruelo and Co. aren't capable or willing to put in the effort required to overcome those few hundred gullible/ignorant people, then they're the ones that need to be wearing the mis-management label.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coyotes19c

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hahahaha!

Knew this was coming.

98585B93-60E7-47B2-840D-AC338E68AE98.jpeg

She spent so much time and effort showing how bad GPLETs are with TED and now she has to defend why a 25-year GPLET for a project in her backyard is suddenly “good”.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
It would help, but they wouldn’t “own the valley”.”

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
That is not my point.Local sport stations ignore olympics,soccer world cup .All they do is talk about football even during off season.Every time I turn them on there is that screaming moron talking football with bro slang.....
That's why I quit listening to the Talking Heads a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0point1

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
That is not my point.Local sport stations ignore olympics,soccer world cup .All they do is talk about football even during off season.Every time I turn them on there is that screaming moron talking football with bro slang.....
For us its Football too (or what you call soccer).
Nothing else is important.
Germany wins silver in the Hockey world Cup?
2 articles in media and then its about who wins the bundesliga (Bayern or Dortmund) and nothing else.
Germany wins the field Hockey world Cup this year? Thats only a short info worth, but If its about some player from Bayern or Dortmund they will talk and write about them for days.

Thats why no other sport can be as popular as Football here in germany. And even when the national Teams suck like they do right now (suprisingly the women too, i guess they got infected by the morons that call themself the Male national Team) still the focus is on them instead of talking more about the basketball world Cup where we have a good Team for the first time since Nowitzki.

Its infuriating and damages the bottom Line.
Because kids only get to know football and thus the clubs get more Money and the Other Sports suffer from it.

And while i like football, i hate that its the main focus Here.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Of note.... the number of seats in "The Den" has increased because they've cut the number of "student section" by about half.

This was something XG said they might do in response to ASU students buying up the $50 tickets and reselling them at a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino