Welcome to (failed) TED Talk - TED is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I know a lot of folks who now live in Gilbert who used to live in Mesa. They moved for the exact same reason you did. And I don't have any more of an explanation for why Mesa has deteriorated like it has, except that maybe it has to do with the ongoing sprawl that sees all the newest and nicest amenities popping up on the leading edge of it, while the cities left behind in the expansion can fall to seed if their administrators don't plan for it accordingly.
I'm sure that's part of it but man if we thought Tempe NIMBY's were a force to be reckoned with, they're straight up amateur compared to Mesa NIMBY's. You're dealing with people who want chain restaurants that close by 8pm and even then are still kinda mad said chain restaurant is selling alcohol and had a musical act on the patio that one time. haha

Reactions: XX

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Do we all realize the Fiesta site is 1/2 mile outside of Tempe boundary?
I do, literally lived on Baseline and 101 for 8 years, I know the area quite well. It was average at best 20 years ago let alone now. To be clear, I don't mind the area as a normal person that I like to think I am, but one definitely has to question the idea of puting a "world class" arena and entertainment district there.

btw...Guadalupe is only 1/2 mile from Tempe too. In fact, that sums up a lot of Phoenix metro in general. There are extremely nice neighborhoods in just about every town in the Phoenix metro area. I mean hell as swanky and trendy as Arcadia is, just 3 miles south is literally the projects!

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'm sure that's part of it but man if we thought Tempe NIMBY's were a force to be reckoned with, they're straight up amateur compared to Mesa NIMBY's. You're dealing with people who want chain restaurants that close by 8pm and even then are still kinda mad said chain restaurant is selling alcohol and had a musical act on the patio that one time. haha
Nimby’s will have no say w/o a vote.
Sounds like a perfect opportunity for a district with strip joints that offer pre and post game specials…. Wait, that would be Barroway…. Never mind.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do, literally lived on Baseline and 101 for 8 years, I know the area quite well. It was average at best 20 years ago let alone now. To be clear, I don't mind the area as a normal person that I like to think I am, but one definitely has to question the idea of puting a "world class" arena and entertainment district there.

btw...Guadalupe is only 1/2 mile from Tempe too. In fact, that sums up a lot of Phoenix metro in general. There are extremely nice neighborhoods in just about every town in the Phoenix metro area. I mean hell as swanky and trendy as Arcadia is, just 3 miles south is literally the projects!
Drive around that area. Most houses are shit. Low income. They need people who will shell out the bucks who want to live and spend time there.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Did she grant you any wishes, or was it just Barbara Eden? :D
It was Barbara Eden, who was probably 75-ish at the time, and she looked spectacular! Could not have been nicer as well.

Also, the flight attendant handed her a screen play and asked if she would look at it. She very politely declined.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Did you play Bubble Hockey in that joint?
So many times.

When I was like 19-23 years old I worked on a land surveying crew. When we got rained out, it was our tradition to go to Hollywood Alley and drink one bazillion pitchers of Newcastle starting in the early morning sometimes, watch classic black and white movies and play bubble hockey until we stumbled out to our taxi ride home.

Drive around that area. Most houses are shit. Low income. They need people who will shell out the bucks who want to live and spend time there.
Somehow Dobson Ranch has remained nice. Against all odds. And it’s baffling. But it’s still a nice neighborhood.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
So many times.

When I was like 19-23 years old I worked on a land surveying crew. When we got rained out, it was our tradition to go to Hollywood Alley and drink one bazillion pitchers of Newcastle starting in the early morning sometimes, watch classic black and white movies and play bubble hockey until we stumbled out to our taxi ride home.
I wanted a bubble hockey game when I was a kid more than anything else on earth. Little did I know the cost was in the thousands and my parents were broke. I would've never left the house. Greatest game ever!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
When I was younger and lived in Tempe, my neighborhood dive bars were Prankster's and Doc & Eddie's.

I miss Tempe... sometimes.
Doc & Eddies caught fire about 4 years ago causing massive damage. They did a nice job rebuilding it though, it's basically brand new inside.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
When I was younger and lived in Tempe, my neighborhood dive bars were Prankster's and Doc & Eddie's.

I miss Tempe... sometimes.
Doc & Eddies caught fire about 4 years ago causing massive damage. They did a nice job rebuilding it though, it's basically brand new inside.
Wowwwww...there's a place I hadn't thought about in ages, and it's still there? My first 4-5 years here (late 90s) I was there a bunch. A woman in our circle of friends was almost a groupie for a local band who played there a lot called Satellite, who I also haven't thought about in 20 years.

I also played softball for Baseline Pub one year, lol. Although we were branded for his other bar, Down the Hatch, which didn't last long and became....Monkey Pants?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Wowwwww...there's a place I hadn't thought about in ages, and it's still there? My first 4-5 years here (late 90s) I was there a bunch. A woman in our circle of friends was almost a groupie for a local band who played there a lot called Satellite, who I also haven't thought about in 20 years.

I also played softball for Baseline Pub one year, lol. Although we were branded for his other bar, Down the Hatch, which didn't last long and became....Monkey Pants?
haha literally came across a picture on my phone recently me of me having a good time at Baseline Pub. Many a libations were had there!

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I wanted a bubble hockey game when I was a kid more than anything else on earth. Little did I know the cost was in the thousands and my parents were broke. I would've never left the house. Greatest game ever!
My uncle John had one for years that we'd play back in Buffalo. Was an original six Leafs vs Habs version. Then one day it just disappeared. No idea what happened to it.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
haha literally came across a picture on my phone recently me of me having a good time at Baseline Pub. Many a libations were had there!
I had these beer league teammates, brothers from Germany, but they were raised in Pittsburgh, totally Americanized. Their dad, however, was off the boat German, and lived within walking distance of Baseline Pub. Hubie spent an inordinate amount of time in his 70s at that pub, lol.

Reactions: Sinurgy

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Went by the Lauren Kuby Landfill and Rec Center earlier today. Was helping my daughter get her stuff boxed up before she relocates to the Caymans.

Looked pretty dead there.......
Please we have to make this naming scheme a reality.
Can we pay the city a few dollars to rename it?

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Remodeled our building (I work for a tech company) and convinced them we needed this for our game room. Has a working jumbotron, plays both anthems. It's incredible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210818-155258_Samsung_Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210818-155258_Samsung_Internet.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad