We need a goalie..

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Yep, teams are always benching their MVP to create a spark. Makes sense.

Luongo was not good in the Olympic gold medal game. He left rebound after rebound that a lesser US team couldn't capitalize on until he left a nice juicy one for Parise.

I want Luongo, but posts like this are ridiculous. Luongo would have a ton of interest if there weren't a bunch of negatives.
Luongo would garner alot more interest if he didn't have that contract. And when you have a goalie who as played just as well as he has, its really not a bad move, and it wasn't a demotion to Roberto, he was the only bright light, our team was beyond brutal in the first 2 games and a spark was needed.

And to all the WSH fans who are all "go back to your board"

The title is "We need a goalie" and Luongo is the only veteran goalie clearly on the market of his caliber.

Not trying to be rude, we just come here in piece. But put 2 and 2 together. With a player of this caliber in a Canadian fan base I'm surprised this isn't somewhat expected.

Edit: I will stay away from now on unless quoted though. Cause I do understand how it can get annoying.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

The title is "We need a goalie" and Luongo is the only veteran goalie clearly on the market of his caliber.

Not trying to be rude, we just come here in piece. But put 2 and 2 together. With a player of this caliber in a Canadian fan base I'm surprised this isn't somewhat expected.

Edit: I will stay away from now on unless quoted though. Cause I do understand how it can get annoying.
There would be no "go back to your board" if there was reasonable content posted by you and your kind. Instead, it's trying to pawn of a goalie your organization has been trying to get rid of for almost a year for multiple top notch pieces.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
There would be no "go back to your board" if there was reasonable content posted by you and your kind. Instead, it's trying to pawn of a goalie your organization has been trying to get rid of for almost a year for multiple top notch pieces.
Well I know personally I was asking about Orlov.

Then I veered off course a bit to defend him, as I felt he was getting severely under appreciated. But whatever.

If you guys were interested, could Orlov be a possibility? I understand top young pieces aren't on the table (Forsberg, Kuznetsov) and I see Johansson might be avaliable (atleast according to some of the posts I have read) I am interested on if Orlov could be a possibility though?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Well I know personally I was asking about Orlov.

Then I veered off course a bit to defend him, as I felt he was getting severely under appreciated. But whatever.

If you guys were interested, could Orlov be a possibility? I understand top young pieces aren't on the table (Forsberg, Kuznetsov) and I see Johansson might be avaliable (atleast according to some of the posts I have read) I am interested on if Orlov could be a possibility though?

I doubt it. I don't think anything of significant value would be available, unless one considers Neuvirth significant value. Too much risk involved having another career contract. The Caps already have two under-performers with them.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I guess its a matter of preference if you want him or not.

I understand though.

There's likely not a single reasonable poster on this forum that wouldn't take him if he were on a reasonable deal. The contract is the problem, and a huge one. It's why he hasn't been traded yet. I'm sure most NHL GMs look at him and see Rick DiPietro.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
There's likely not a single reasonable poster on this forum that wouldn't take him if he were on a reasonable deal. The contract is the problem, and a huge one. It's why he hasn't been traded yet. I'm sure most NHL GMs look at him and see Rick DiPietro.
I don't know about that. He is worthy of the cap hit, just not all of the years, Dipietro is worthy of niether.

I think there are options however, a later buyout, or trade, or retirement which is something that is often forgotten.

He doesn't need the money, so if he can give u about 4 more years at a high level (Which he is capable of) Then retires at about 37-39. Then it would be a pretty good situation.

When you look beyond just the contract at face value, all things considered you can tell he unlikely to play to 42, atleast it is pretty obvious to me honestly.

I do agree it is a major roadblock. But I think a reasonable deal could be made if one was willing to take on the contract.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I don't know about that. He is worthy of the cap hit, just not all of the years, Dipietro is worthy of niether.

I think there are options however, a later buyout, or trade, or retirement which is something that is often forgotten.

He doesn't need the money, so if he can give u about 4 more years at a high level (Which he is capable of) Then retires at about 37-39. Then it would be a pretty good situation.

When you look beyond just the contract at face value, all things considered you can tell he unlikely to play to 42, atleast it is pretty obvious to me honestly.

I do agree it is a major roadblock. But I think a reasonable deal could be made if one was willing to take on the contract.
The DiPietro comparison has nothing to do with ability. It has to do with health. DiPietro would have been deserving of his cap hit if he hadn't been beset by injuries. What happens if Luongo tears his groin?

I keep seeing the 'he won't play until 42 thing'. Roloson was 42 last season. Brodeur is 40. Khabibulin is 40. Hedberg is 39. Plenty of goalies play into their 40s, and there's no way anyone can project whether a guy in his early 30s will or not. His personal life situation could change. He might need the money by that time. He might still have the competitive fire to play. No one knows, and that's why GMs will err on the side of caution with him

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The DiPietro comparison has nothing to do with ability. It has to do with health. DiPietro would have been deserving of his cap hit if he hadn't been beset by injuries. What happens if Luongo tears his groin?

I keep seeing the 'he won't play until 42 thing'. Roloson was 42 last season. Brodeur is 40. Khabibulin is 40. Hedberg is 39. Plenty of goalies play into their 40s, and there's no way anyone can project whether a guy in his early 30s will or not. His personal life situation could change. He might need the money by that time. He might still have the competitive fire to play. No one knows, and that's why GMs will err on the side of caution with him
For me, knowing Roberto and his personality, I just can't see him playing that long honestly.

I do understand what you are saying though.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I love how the only response to his life time contract is he MAY retire, cap MAY go up, you COULD buyout or trade.

His no trade clause kicks in next year, it could get ugly in Van if hes not moved soon.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
If we were going to with a new goalie from outside the Org and pick up a Vet to ease the transition to holtby I would be more in favor of going after Tim Thomas for a year or 2. We could prolly get him from NYI for pretty cheap have him for a couple seasons while Holtby matures and then let Holtby take over.
No life time contract to risk of killing the franchise for next 10 years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tim Thomas by all accounts has zero desire to play....

This team has been making short term patches for how many years? Pass...

Liberati0n*

But think of the Obama-related lulz...

CCF is probably one of those people who thinks Obama was born in Kenya and would have voted for Donald Trump last year. I'm sure he doesn't consider it a laughing matter.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No way TT plays in DC. He's more likely to live in a Unabomber shack than put on a jersey with the Capitol building on it.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

:laugh:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
CCF is probably one of those people who thinks Obama was born in Kenya and would have voted for Donald Trump last year. I'm sure he doesn't consider it a laughing matter.

CCF may be a jerk as a person, but he has a very shrewd hockey eye.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
No way TT plays in DC. He's more likely to live in a Unabomber shack than put on a jersey with the Capitol building on it.

I saw that shack, and a lot of other Unabomber gear at the Newseum a year or so ago It was pretty spooky looking.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
Luongo would garner alot more interest if he didn't have that contract. And when you have a goalie who as played just as well as he has, its really not a bad move, and it wasn't a demotion to Roberto, he was the only bright light, our team was beyond brutal in the first 2 games and a spark was needed.

I would like Luongo. But I'd offer Neuvy+Johannson or Perreault+2nd. Anything more and I'd pass because of his contract.

He is earning his contract today, but would he a couple years from now?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I would like Luongo. But I'd offer Neuvy+Johannson or Perreault+2nd. Anything more and I'd pass because of his contract.

He is earning his contract today, but would he a couple years from now?
Yeah I believe he would.

He is playing exceptional right now, and continues to learn and gain experience mentally and with the media.

The thing about him is he always makes adjustments to his game, he did it in 10/11 learning to play a bit deeper, had a great year (nominated for the Vezina) This offseason he has worked on his game with Francios Allaire and the results have shown so far.

he always does this, continues to adjust his game and it makes him better. He is the hardest worker on the team, and I think him leaving the intense spot light here in Vancouver would only make him better.

I dont see any reason for him to slow down in the near future.

Edt: I like Johansson, but Neuvirth doesn't add much value, anything else you could add?

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Yeah I believe he would.

He is playing exceptional right now, and continues to learn and gain experience mentally and with the media.

The thing about him is he always makes adjustments to his game, he did it in 10/11 learning to play a bit deeper, had a great year (nominated for the Vezina) This offseason he has worked on his game with Francios Allaire and the results have shown so far.

he always does this, continues to adjust his game and it makes him better. He is the hardest worker on the team, and I think him leaving the intense spot light here in Vancouver would only make him better.

I dont see any reason for him to slow down in the near future.

Edt: I like Johansson, but Neuvirth doesn't add much value, anything else you could add?[/QUOTE]

Hamrlik ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad