We need a goalie..

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
A top-5 pick who will be ready in three years? Got it.

No to tank. Yes to adjustments.

Yakupov, Galchenyuk, RNH, Landeskog, Larson, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane -- all top-5 picks that made immediate contributions, some as impact players.

But yay to minor adjustments that doesn't alter the team much at all.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Yakupov, Galchenyuk, RNH, Landeskog, Larson, Hall, Seguin, Tavares, Hedman, Duchene, Kane -- all top-5 picks that made immediate contributions, some as impact players.

But yay to minor adjustments that doesn't alter the team much at all.

Just shooting from the hip but Jones/MacKinnon/Barkov probably could play in the NHL next year. Naturally not necessarily good prospect dev. to rush prospects.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Who's against the cap? The Caps aren't.

I don't have the figures handy but I was pretty sure with Poti back we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Probably could fit in that contract but it would be close at the very best.

And like others have said it will hinder our flexibility in the offseason where we can take a long look and make decisions then.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't have the figures handy but I was pretty sure with Poti back we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Probably could fit in that contract but it would be close at the very best.

And like others have said it will hinder our flexibility in the offseason where we can take a long look and make decisions then.
The Caps can take on $8.67M in salary as of today. If nothing changes between now and the deadline, they could take on $26M in contracts then.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Caps can take on $8.67M in salary as of today. If nothing changes between now and the deadline, they could take on $26M in contracts then.

Not bad. I think we are positioned well for when the offseason rolls around. Lets see how this season goes right now before we use up some of that space. We may find out it would be a waste.

Fact is we have good players on this team that need to play better to a man.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Please...when was the last time McPhee signed a big $ player as an UFA? More likely, just more middle/bottom 6 forwards and cheap D if anything.

This flexibility means nothing if it's not used.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Please...when was the last time McPhee signed a big $ player as an UFA? More likely, just more middle/bottom 6 forwards and cheap D if anything.

This flexibility means nothing if it's not used.

Well he did sign Nylander but that didn't exactly work out well.

But you can also say "when has he made a big trade for an impact player"?

You can say the Fedorov deal altho its not like we gave up much for a player in his twilight years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well he did sign Nylander but that didn't exactly work out well.

But you can also say "when has he made a big trade for an impact player"?

You can say the Fedorov deal altho its not like we gave up much for a player in his twilight years.

That's why I'm not buying into "I'm afraid to pickup a contract for fear of no flexibility" argument. Robert Lang was the last big free agent that performed and McPhee and company swore off those signings publicly later on. It no longer fits the team's "plan".

skrymir2000

Jul 6, 2010
San Diego/Manila
I am just curious why people think Luongo's contract is so bad? By cap hit he's the 9th highest paid goalie this year and he's easily better than 4 or 5 of the guys ahead of him.

Would you rather have Rinne for 7m/year for 7 years? Maybe... Maybe not. If you think Luongo is only good because of the team he plays on how can you not say the same about Rinne? His team doesn't even attempt to score goals. I am not saying Luongo is better than Rinne but when you compare contracts it's not so obvious.

And of those goalies ahead of him that people consider "better", Rinne, Price, Lundquist? What has any of them won? None of them have led their teams to the Stanley Cup finals.

And 5.3m/year isn't that bad of a cap hit especially if you assume the cap will continue to go up.

According to capgeek:

If Roberto Luongo retires or defects in the 2020 off-season (age 41 as of July 1 that year), and was traded to the Washington Capitals 50 percent of the way through the 2012-13 season, following is an estimated breakdown of the recapture penalties for the involved teams.

Team Benefit Penalty
Vancouver Canucks (2020-21 through 2022-23) $6,739,667 $3,369,833
Washington Capitals (2020-21 through 2022-23) $1,927,000 $963,500

So bottom line any cap penalty affects Vancouver and doesn't really affect Washington.

If he decides he wants to keep playing for 1 million/year there are a plenty of teams that would love to have a guy with a 5.3 cap hit and 1 million dollar salary.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That's why I'm not buying into "I'm afraid to pickup a contract for fear of no flexibility" argument. Robert Lang was the last big free agent that performed and McPhee and company swore off those signings publicly later on. It no longer fits the team's "plan".

And really I don't mind our plan. I kind of like sticking with youth and churning out draft picks and prospects.

Thats kinda why I want to stick with what we got. Stick with our goalies. Not go out and make trades that involve our prospects or draft picks. Not bring in any big contracts so we can use the money to keep our own home grown players.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Lu's contract is not that bad, and he is that good a goalie, why are we getting the hard sell? Why don't they sell us his replacement instead?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If Lu's contract is not that bad, and he is that good a goalie, why are we getting the hard sell? Why don't they sell us his replacement instead?

Lets see if you have a young stud at a cheaper rate waiting to take over ....does it take much to understand why?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
And really I don't mind our plan. I kind of like sticking with youth and churning out draft picks and prospects.

Thats kinda why I want to stick with what we got. Stick with our goalies. Not go out and make trades that involve our prospects or draft picks. Not bring in any big contracts so we can use the money to keep our own home grown players.

You must like 1st and 2nd round defeats then...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You must like 1st and 2nd round defeats then...

We've tried it the other way too with signing UFAs and making trades with Poile here. Pretty much always has ended up the same way for the Caps.

I do think the salary cap world changes the way you build a team.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Lets see if you have a young stud at a cheaper rate waiting to take over ....does it take much to understand why?

VAN fans are trying to get rid of him because of that contract. You can tell because they try to rationalize the contract in every post.

Is that young stud a bigger stud that Lu?

If Lu's contract is not a problem and he is a top 10 goalie, why not sell the stud can't miss kid for a kings ransom? Instead of embarrassing themselves begging all the other teams boards to take him off their hands.

It would sure seem to be a lot easier to sell the new stud, right?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
VAN fans are trying to get rid of him because of that contract. You can tell because they try to rationalize the contract in every post.

Is that young stud a bigger stud that Lu?

If Lu's contract is not a problem and he is a top 10 goalie, why not sell the stud can't miss kid for a kings ransom? Instead of embarrassing themselves begging all the other teams boards to take him off their hands.

It would sure seem to be a lot easier to sell the new stud, right?

I agree.

Vancouver fans can't wait to usher him and that brutal contract out the door. The guy always comes up small in the playoffs even when his team wins games.

Keep that guy as far away from DC as possible.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The core of them wanting him gone is his playoff act of course.

If they would just say his contract sucks and disappears in the playoffs at times, then i would trust them. And they admit, we just want to get whatever his value is... if any :cry:

yet they seem to want a small kings ransom for him! :laugh:

He has some value to someone out there perhaps, but when posters try to sugar coat the issues, we can look else where to firm up a 3rd goalie at the deadline.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Starting next year Loungo gets a NTC where he picks the only 5 teams where he will go to. Puts Van in a huge jam to get a deal done this season or are pretty much stuck with loungo untill hes 42.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If he was backstopping VAN to cup after cup, his salary NTC etc would be meaningless, and they would not want him to be traded.

It would appear that he is getting the rap of a playoff choker. While he may well fit in here in that regard ;) we already have some fat contracts to deal with.

So as we are constructed already, we must win games with our offensive horses.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Starting next year Loungo gets a NTC where he picks the only 5 teams where he will go to. Puts Van in a huge jam to get a deal done this season or are pretty much stuck with loungo untill hes 42.

Forgot about the NTC. Even more reason to avoid this scrub.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not on Lou train but if, if he would get traded here, I don't think we would have to respect that NTC after that.

Oh I didn't realize that. Once your traded the NTC clause gets lifted from the contract?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
No, it doesn't. If it hasn't gone into effect, in some situations, the acquiring team can choose not to honor it... but I thought that was only if the NTC was part of a separate contract extension that hadn't yet kicked in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00