We need a goalie..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ribeiro is going to get a 4-5 year deal at about $5.5 per....that's my prediction. Are the Caps going to pay that? I doubt it. He's simply playing himself into a nice return at the trade deadline for Washington. The worst part is that if we're close to a playoff spot, McPhee will keep him and we'll get ZERO return for another quality guy will probably walk.

A move for a quality goalie isn't a panic move, not if you're paying attention to the performances we've been getting. Sitting on your hands and doing nothing IS however a McPhee-type move, so it wouldn't surprise me.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Ribeiro is going to get a 4-5 year deal at about $5.5 per....that's my prediction. Are the Caps going to pay that? I doubt it. He's simply playing himself into a nice return at the trade deadline for Washington. The worst part is that if we're close to a playoff spot, McPhee will keep him and we'll get ZERO return for another quality guy will probably walk.

A move for a quality goalie isn't a panic move, not if you're paying attention to the performances we've been getting. Sitting on your hands and doing nothing IS however a McPhee-type move, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I think Ribeiro just may get that. Lets see how the season plays out.

Are you so sure Holtby and/or Neuvirth won't be that quality goalie? We've already invested so much in them.

Again you ASSUME this "quality goalie" will be an improvement. Vokoun was not. What makes you think someone we bring in will be?

We have holes in the top 6 that will be compounded if we let Ribeiro walk. yet you are cozy with the idea of bringing in Luongo with that awful contract?

Luongo hasn't proved anything to me. He doesn't seem to be a goalie who reacts well in pressure situations...just like Vokoun.

I feel like we're complaining about the ingredients of a meal when we should be focusing on the chef.

Ummm..you DO realize whom you are talking to right? I was the last acting chairman of the BOD!!! haha Do you know how many times I've been banished for beating the "fire McPhee" drum? The reality is that he is here to stay so no point focusing on him more than we already have. There is a thread for that anyhow

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Of course I'm note sure, but both guys are young. A stud vet goalie could be very beneficial from a development standpoint to help their games. Sadly one would have to go. So, pickup a good vet who can shoulder the load and groom Holtby as a backup looking to ascend to the #1 spot.

Assuming we pick up a GOOD goalie, I expect good performances. I was never a believer in Vokoun. He was the classic "good player on a bad team". They put him in a scenario with expectations and he crumbled.

I just can't get on board with your suggestion that we shouldn't focus on McPhee because he's still here to date. That's simply hiding your head in the sand.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Of course I'm note sure, but both guys are young. A stud vet goalie could be very beneficial from a development standpoint to help their games. Sadly one would have to go. So, pickup a good vet who can shoulder the load and groom Holtby as a backup looking to ascend to the #1 spot.

Assuming we pick up a GOOD goalie, I expect good performances. I was never a believer in Vokoun. He was the classic "good player on a bad team". They put him in a scenario with expectations and he crumbled.

I just can't get on board with your suggestion that we shouldn't focus on McPhee because he's still here to date. That's simply hiding your head in the sand.

:laugh:

Funny..that is the EXACT same thing I harped on for YEARS! You're about 10 years too late to the party there my man! Again..there is already a FIRE MCPHEE thread...no need discussing it here.

I'm not a believer in Luongo and have been skeptical of him as I was of Vokoun.

Yeah he got his team to game 7 of the SCF but he was not that good at all. He played on an outstanding team that got him there. More often then not Bobby Lou chokes in big games. I wouldn't anchor myself to that boat.

Still not sure what other goalie you are referring to out there.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No...I've been at this party all along. It's just that you and BTCG or whatever his name is love to talk about how you two were the only ones holding the candle light vigil against McPhee.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No...I've been at this party all along. It's just that you and BTCG or whatever his name is love to talk about how you two were the only ones holding the candle light vigil against McPhee.

Wrong. ChokingDogs was too but I haven't seen him around in a while. And yes me and BTCG were on this vigil since back in the ESPN forum days some 12 or 13 years ago.

Either way McPhee has improved in some areas and did get us to the cusp before we got Halaked.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
For the record, I don't think a Brent Johnson/Alex Auld/Curtis Sanfrod is the answer.

I think they're guys who have been around the block, would be decent locker room influences, and would be able to take some lumps with out hurting development.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
For the record, I don't think a Brent Johnson/Alex Auld/Curtis Sanfrod is the answer.

I think they're guys who have been around the block, would be decent locker room influences, and would be able to take some lumps with out hurting development.

IF I had to pick one of those guys I would take Brent Johnson easily as he was a great guy from all accounts here. But really we'd be throwing away the season if we went there.

I think Holtby/Neuvirth can and will turn it around.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
IF I had to pick one of those guys I would take Brent Johnson easily as he was a great guy from all accounts here. But really we'd be throwing away the season if we went there.

I think Holtby/Neuvirth can and will turn it around.

I don't think it's throwing the season away. Take Sanford, for example. Last season with Columbus, he had a 2.60 GAA and .911 save percentage in 36 games. Both far superior than what we'v gotten this year.

And Neuvirth never turned it around last season, so I'm not sure why you're confident he will this season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Same here.....although at one point last night I was wondering where Johnson was...lol.

Another backup/average goalie isn't the answer.

Wait did you mean you think they ARE the answer? I don't....not those guys.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't think it's throwing the season away. Take Sanford, for example. Last season with Columbus, he had a 2.60 GAA and .911 save percentage in 36 games. Both far superior than what we'v gotten this year.

And Neuvirth never turned it around last season, so I'm not sure why you're confident he will this season.

Just like Vokoun its easy to have decent stats when you are on a bad team with little pressure. Even this year the Caps are EXPECTED to win. The pressure will be there.

Neuvirth has a strong pedigree and has won championships at just about every level. He had a down year last year but alot of players have sophmore slumps. I have great faith in him as Bruce did. He is struggling with confidence right now but he is capable of turning it around.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What's more important to Oates, getting to the playoffs this year, or instilling his system?

For if its getting into the playoffs, he may need to rethink how our defense is the foundation of our offense. Our defense will have to focus on protecting our goalies instead. Also called, Hunkering, or Huntering.

I am not sold on either of our 2 Gs clearly emerging and finally becoming our #1 uncontested in this short year. It may take a few years if George has decided to stick with kids.

I feel like even the most skilled of teams need their goalie to steal games for them. 1 out of 10, whatever it is, it must be greater than 0.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am not sold on either of our 2 Gs clearly emerging and finally becoming our #1 uncontested in this short year. It may take a few years if George has decided to stick with kids.

I feel like even the most skilled of teams need their goalie to steal games for them. 1 out of 10, whatever it is, it must be greater than 0.

Yes neither am I. But I am less sold on an outside netminder (who won't break the bank) that can come in and be our #1 uncontested. Getting a retread, journeyman or washed up scrub is not the answer IMO.

I agree that our goalies need to steal games. they haven't so far. But they each have shown that ability in the past 2 years in high pressure situations and BOTH of these young goalies have won a playoff series.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know what, if this team can eek out a playoff entry, we will be trending up, and have to think the goalies will be too.

Book it.

No team every won a cup dominating the first 25% of the season, and dare I think a few have burned themselves out by sprinting to start a marathon.

Ovi knows what I am talking about :laugh:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've got it....

Jonas Hiller. With the emergence of Fasth....maybe he's available. Only 2 years left on his deal (including this season) at $4.5 per. Of course his numbers are down in a limited role right now too...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I've got it....

Jonas Hiller. With the emergence of Fasth....maybe he's available. Only 2 years left on his deal (including this season) at $4.5 per. Of course his numbers are down in a limited role right now too...

4.5 per is alot for a team against the cap.

Hiller has not played well the last couple years or at best been inconsistent and a reason why the Ducks had to make late season surges the last 2 years only making the playoffs one of those.

Also didn't he have some kind serious vertigo case or something like that?

Avoid. Spend that money on a vet top 4 D or top 6 winger.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Would love Hiller, but he's not available. Fasth is only signed to a one year contract and is already 30. Most of the NHL hasn't developed a "book" on him yet. I doubt Anaheim places all their eggs in the Fasth basket, especially with Gibson still a few years away.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
4.5 per is alot for a team against the cap.

Hiller has not played well the last couple years or at best been inconsistent and a reason why the Ducks had to make late season surges the last 2 years only making the playoffs one of those.

Also didn't he have some kind serious vertigo case or something like that?

Avoid. Spend that money on a vet top 4 D or top 6 winger.

Who's against the cap? The Caps aren't.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Would love Hiller, but he's not available. Fasth is only signed to a one year contract and is already 30. Most of the NHL hasn't developed a "book" on him yet. I doubt Anaheim places all their eggs in the Fasth basket, especially with Gibson still a few years away.

So Fasth can't sign an extension first? I think Anaheim would clearly want that done before a Hiller trade.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
hamer and poti gone is alot more cap space

Not really. Most will get eaten up by Alzner, and you figure you're still keeping one of the goalies even if you get Hiller (both of them are RFAs so it doesn't matter who you pick). Then factor in re-signing or replacing Ribeiro... it's obviously workable, but they'll likely be a cap team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad