We need a goalie..

Halpysback*

If we sign Lu with his monster contract, gl signing kuz and forsberg 3 years from now if they do well.

Yeah, because it's not like we have 21 million worth of dead cap space we could get rid of first.

We literally have 4 Luongos worth of bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 defensemen (5 if you count those that actually deserve their cap hit).

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Yeah, because it's not like we have 21 million worth of dead cap space we could get rid of first.

We literally have 4 Luongos worth of bottom 6 forwards and bottom 2 defensemen (5 if you count those that actually deserve their cap hit).

thats why Semin is in a canes jersey now

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Like I keep harping on...keep both young goalies and let them work their game out.

Positive sign for Holtby the last couple games. Last night he had some weird goals go in against him but made some big saves to compensate.

Hopefully his confidence will continue to increase.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
An .844 save % (last night) or .874 (season) isn't going to win you many games. Goaltending is a major concern.

There is no doubt but to me there is not much that we can or should do about it other than let them work on their game and hope they turn things around.

Same thing with some of our other key players. Sit and hope they produce.

Blowing things up would not be wise IMO

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Picking up a capable vet isn't blowing it up. Seems clear we don't currently have the answer in goal. Unfortunately goal is the position that can boost or demoralize your entire team and we've been getting a large dose of the latter.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Picking up a capable vet isn't blowing it up. Seems clear we don't currently have the answer in goal. Unfortunately goal is the position that can boost or demoralize your entire team and we've been getting a large dose of the latter.

That would mean we would get rid of one of our young goalies along with other assets. I think Holtby MAY be waiver wire exempt I am pretty sure Neuvirth is not.

A GOOD vet goalie who would be an obvious improvement would most likely land us in cap trouble going forward.

Trying to win this year, with the start this team has had, at the expense of the future would be folly.

You go with youth then you expect this. Let them develop. We tried Vokoun last year and how did that turn out???

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I still like the idea of sending Holtby down to work on his consistency and signing a cheap vet.

That would only serve to undermine the confidence of both young goalies just as it did last year.

You notice how we started playing much better after Vokoun was injured and done for the year?

Will this cheap vet be any better than Vokoun who came here with strong credentials? Who do you have in mind that would fit the bill?

Holtby has learned all he can playing in the AHL. He has already proven he can play at this level and sending him down will only make him regress at this point.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
That would only serve to undermine the confidence of both young goalies just as it did last year.

You notice how we started playing much better after Vokoun was injured and done for the year?

Will this cheap vet be any better than Vokoun who came here with strong credentials? Who do you have in mind that would fit the bill?

Holtby has learned all he can playing in the AHL. He has already proven he can play at this level and sending him down will only make him regress at this point.
Disagree. I think a vet goalie would be a calming influence on the young guys.

I also think Holtby still has plenty to learn at the AHL level and I believe his development would be hindered more by getting shelled every other game at the NHL level.

As for the vet, Brent Johnson, Alex Auld, Curtis Sanford, and maybe even Dwayne Rolosn are all guys that are free agents and could provide a level of play better than what we've seen.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Disagree. I think a vet goalie would be a calming influence on the young guys.

I also think Holtby still has plenty to learn at the AHL level and I believe his development would be hindered more by getting shelled every other game at the NHL level.

As for the vet, Brent Johnson, Alex Auld, Curtis Sanford, and maybe even Dwayne Rolosn are all guys that are free agents and could provide a level of play better than what we've seen.

I respect your opinion but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I think it will send the wrong message and all those guys have either been inconsistnet or are now washed up. In some cases both. Vokoun was better than all those guys and he wasn't an improvement over what we had.

Lots of our players have underachieved this year. Let them work through it. Show confidence in them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Sorry but if you don't already think both goalies confidence are shot so far this year....I don't know what to say. You think continued poor outings are the solution to raise their game? Essentially you're suggesting going down with the ship.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Sorry but if you don't already think both goalies confidence are shot so far this year....I don't know what to say. You think continued poor outings are the solution to raise their game? Essentially you're suggesting going down with the ship.

Benching them or sending them down or whatever will only hurt their confidence more.

As a coach if you show faith in your players you do so and want them to respond.

Holtby has played rather well these last 2 games and I can sense it improving in him.

You suggest bringing in a washed up vet on the cheap will help? I disagree..it will have the opposite effect.

I thought bringing in Vokoun really hurt the confidence of both Neuvirth and Holtby last year. I doubt they make the same mistake twice.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have questioned George's handling of the G's the past 5 years. Bruce's too, actually.

Kolzig showed signs of aging and Huet got us into the playoffs. One of GMs best G moves, and then not re-inking Huet. Eating crow here. On comes Theo.

Theo was hot and cold and got yanked in the playoffs early and often. Varly saved the day and showed a lot.

Then got traded when it seemed he was pissed he didn't get a game in Tampa, Bruce choose Neuvy even in back to backs, and we got swept. Varly all but demanded a trade by asking to be the starter. Fans rushed to George's defense, called the trade a victory.

But here we are, in a we need a goalie thread.

GM moves on and announces Holtby had made the team, and then got Vokoun the next day. Holtby struggled. Vokoun didn't get the start in game 1 and sent him a message early on, you are not my #1. Nuevy was up and down all year - all 3 seemed out of sorts.

So Dale roll into the playoffs hunkered down and Holtby is the new playoff hero. But maybe everything Dale did that put you to sleep, was because he saw Neuvy and Holtby were not to be trusted. Holtby could have been sold during the summer on the high had George wanted.

George plays it safe, and holds.

George rolls this year with the 2 kids, but behind a new coach and system that we were told would take about half the year to iron out.

Maybe knowing that, it was best to roll with a vet if even a backup, on a 1 year and not have both kids be thrown to the wolves lets call it. Almost predictably, they are having a tough time.

George is struggling to get his #1 goalie picked. If we keep winning 6-5, I think he will be bring in a 3rd G.

I thought Varly was going to be the man, and then kind of hoped Holtby would pass Neuvy one day.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone who claims that they know what is better for the development or mental health of a player they have never met (let alone coached) is spouting BS. Some players do better when "pushed." Others do better when their coach shows faith in them. No two players are exactly alike. [Sedin joke here.]

My biggest fear is that Holtby develops bad habits playing behind a defense who can't stop anyone.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Benching them or sending them down or whatever will only hurt their confidence more.

As a coach if you show faith in your players you do so and want them to respond.

Holtby has played rather well these last 2 games and I can sense it improving in him.

You suggest bringing in a washed up vet on the cheap will help? I disagree..it will have the opposite effect.

I thought bringing in Vokoun really hurt the confidence of both Neuvirth and Holtby last year. I doubt they make the same mistake twice.

Have you seen how our goalies have been handled the past 5 years? Does it seem like McPhee treats them with kid gloves?

I think you're putting way too much into their confidence being shot by these actions. If that was the case, everyone in pro sports would be a head case. Demotions and benchings are part of the business of pro sports. The players who respond well are the ones you want on your team. If Holtby was to fold mentally (or Neuvy), then they're not the right longterm fit anyways and we should want them gone.

Who suggested a "washed up vet"? Come on man....that's absurd. I suggest bringing in a capable vet...I wouldn't be opposed to a guy who could play a few seasons and mentor Holtby (if that's our best long term solution, which I'm not sure Holtby is).

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Anyone who claims that they know what is better for the development or mental health of a player they have never met (let alone coached) is spouting BS. Some players do better when "pushed." Others do better when their coach shows faith in them. No two players are exactly alike. [Sedin joke here.]

My biggest fear is that Holtby develops bad habits playing behind a defense who can't stop anyone.

We saw what happened last year. Bring vokoun in after Neuvirth had a good season the prior year. Neuvirth struggled.

Bring vokoun in after saying essentially Holtby made team. Send Holtby down the Hershey where he struggled.

Vokoun gets injured. Call Holtby up. BAM! Holtby plays better.

Is Brent Johnson the answer? A 50 year old Roloson? Alex frikin Auld?

You guys suggest Holtby (who won us 7 playoff games not even a year ago) needs to be sent down after a sluggish start? To bring in a washed up scrub?

OK..I see the logic in that

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Have you seen how our goalies have been handled the past 5 years? Does it seem like McPhee treats them with kid gloves?

I think you're putting way too much into their confidence being shot by these actions. If that was the case, everyone in pro sports would be a head case. Demotions and benchings are part of the business of pro sports. The players who respond well are the ones you want on your team. If Holtby was to fold mentally (or Neuvy), then they're not the right longterm fit anyways and we should want them gone.

Who suggested a "washed up vet"? Come on man....that's absurd. I suggest bringing in a capable vet...I wouldn't be opposed to a guy who could play a few seasons and mentor Holtby (if that's our best long term solution, which I'm not sure Holtby is).

Please provide a name. And don't say Luongo as I would get a hearty laugh out of that.

Yes. The confidence thing was displayed clearly last year.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Please provide a name. And don't say Luongo as I would get a hearty laugh out of that.

Yes. The confidence thing was displayed clearly last year.

I don't need to provide a name. That's the job of our illustrious GM. Don't tell me NBTW has your panties all in a bunch over Luongo and his franchise killing contract (sarcasm). I'd take Lou in a heartbeat. Apparently I'm one of the few who remembers what it was like to have a REAL franchise goalie.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't need to provide a name. That's the job of our illustrious GM.

Didn't we do the EXACT same thing last year?

Is there a more capable goalie out there than Vokoun was last year?

Is this "capable goalie" within our budget when we know the cap will go down $6 million next year? Are we will to part with assets for this player?

I remember GMGM was widely lauded by every pundit and fan for bringing in Vokoun on the cheap. It backfired badly and only served to hinder the development of the young guys we had.

You suggest he go to that exact same well again only this time to bring in someone most likely inferior to Vokoun?

Don't tell me NBTW has your panties all in a bunch over Luongo and his franchise killing contract (sarcasm). I'd take Lou in a heartbeat. Apparently I'm one of the few who remembers what it was like to have a REAL franchise goalie.

I do remember us having a franchise goalie. We drafted him in the 1st round in 1989. We developed him and he had his struggles all the way up until 1998 when we started with a "capable vet" who got injured in the 1st period of game 1 of the season.

Loungo has a monsterous contract. If we want him we'd have to trade away quality assets. In addition we would have to most likely let Ribeiro go in the offseason.

How about showing a bit of patience? Goalies need time and NHL experience to mature.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We saw what happened last year. Bring vokoun in after Neuvirth had a good season the prior year. Neuvirth struggled.

Bring vokoun in after saying essentially Holtby made team. Send Holtby down the Hershey where he struggled.

Vokoun gets injured. Call Holtby up. BAM! Holtby plays better.

Is Brent Johnson the answer? A 50 year old Roloson? Alex frikin Auld?

You guys suggest Holtby (who won us 7 playoff games not even a year ago) needs to be sent down after a sluggish start? To bring in a washed up scrub?

OK..I see the logic in that

There are so many moving parts involved here, it's pretty ludicrous to say with any confidence that it was the addition of Vokoun that did it. There was also new goalie coaches (let go of Irbe, brough back Prior and added Kolzig as an assistant) last year. The team changed head coaches and defensive schemes partway through the season. Other teams had a chance to develop a "book" on Neuvirth after playing him more than once or twice.

Etc etc etc

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Didn't we do the EXACT same thing last year?

Is there a more capable goalie out there than Vokoun was last year?

Is this "capable goalie" within our budget when we know the cap will go down $6 million next year? Are we will to part with assets for this player?

I remember GMGM was widely lauded by every pundit and fan for bringing in Vokoun on the cheap. It backfired badly and only served to hinder the development of the young guys we had.

You suggest he go to that exact same well again only this time to bring in someone most likely inferior to Vokoun?

I do remember us having a franchise goalie. We drafted him in the 1st round in 1989. We developed him and he had his struggles all the way up until 1998 when we started with a "capable vet" who got injured in the 1st period of game 1 of the season.

Loungo has a monsterous contract. If we want him we'd have to trade away quality assets. In addition we would have to most likely let Ribeiro go in the offseason.

How about showing a bit of patience? Goalies need time and NHL experience to mature.

Vokoun was handled poorly by the coaching staff clearly. He was also pissed because he listened to bad advice from an agent and lost out on probably 10s of millions of $$s. That wouldn't make you sour? Anyways...just another bad feather in McPhee's cap.

Almost anyone is available if you're willing to pay the price to acquire them. Vokoun was an easy pickup. Cost nothing and the effort was a simple phone call. About what I've come to expect from McPhee. All that said, McPhee can't and won't pull off a big trade. He's doesn't have the stones to take the risk involved.

Ribeiro won't be a Cap after this season anyway IMO. Showing patience at the cost of sacrificing the entire season is unacceptable. We've played the young/sketchy goalie game for how many years? How much more of Ovechkin's career do you want to throw away?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
There are so many moving parts involved here, it's pretty ludicrous to say with any confidence that it was the addition of Vokoun that did it. There was also new goalie coaches (let go of Irbe, brough back Prior and added Kolzig as an assistant) last year. The team changed head coaches and defensive schemes partway through the season. Other teams had a chance to develop a "book" on Neuvirth after playing him more than once or twice.

Etc etc etc

Exactly...LOTS of influences on that move that made it go bad.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Vokoun was handled poorly by the coaching staff clearly. He was also pissed because he listened to bad advice from an agent and lost out on probably 10s of millions of $$s. That wouldn't make you sour? Anyways...just another bad feather in McPhee's cap.

Almost anyone is available if you're willing to pay the price to acquire them. Vokoun was an easy pickup. Cost nothing and the effort was a simple phone call. About what I've come to expect from McPhee. All that said, McPhee can't and won't pull off a big trade. He's doesn't have the stones to take the risk involved.

Ribeiro won't be a Cap after this season anyway IMO. Showing patience at the cost of sacrificing the entire season is unacceptable. We've played the young/sketchy goalie game for how many years? How much more of Ovechkin's career do you want to throw away?

The only one Vokoun can blame is himself. He did not play well last season and gave up far too many back breaking soft goals.

The fact is the salary cap is going down. The fact is that we need to replenish our prospect pool not deplete it further.

I agree McPhee wouldn't take the risk anyhow so the point maybe moot.

Not sure about Ribeiro. If they don't trade him at the deadline and he continues to produce I'm sure he will be a Cap next year.

No way I am suggesting sacrificing a season. I'm saying letting the young guys find their game is our best chance at salvaging the season! I expect Holtby and Neuvirth to play better than they have and am sure they will.

Making a panic move for a vet won't guarantee any improvement and can really hurt us long term (Luongo contract for instance)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad