We need a goalie..

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Two things I don't like about Luongo?

He hurts the tank this year and obviously that contract is crazy.

On the other hand he'd be a clear an present upgrade to the roster, and I think the Caps need to start thinking veteran goalie.

If you trade for Luongo, you do it over the summer, when Gillis' sack will be in the salary cap vice.

You don't do it now, when you look desperate and it hurts the tank.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Did Dale look at our young tenders, as the main reason why he went so defensive? Was it Ovi loafing, to teach him to get back. Was it the soft dmen?

I am theorizing he may have looked at our team, and decided the part most like to fail in a long run, was our tending. And trapped to cut it off at the pass.

Tending is a HUGE part of the game yet it doesn't get much discussion. What do we pay ours, 2M?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Take out Raymond...or add another middle 6 forward coming back to Vancouver from DC too offset the loss of Raymond...

What about Orlov? Any chance you would be willing to move him?

Why do Vancouver fans insist on ignoring Luongo's contract, their team's cap situation, and the fact that he asked for a trade?

There are possibilites, buyouts (if they last the duration of the CBA, not sure if there is a time limit) Trade or Retirement, Lu won't play till he is 42, I would say he will play 4-5 years longer, maybe 6 at the absolute most.

Alot of people around the league under appreciate him, but he would come in and bring alot of confidence to your team and defense, is capable of carrying teams on stretches, carried us alot last year.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
The Caps should want absolutely no part of Luongo. He's not even the best goalie in Vancouver let alone one of the best in the league and his contract is ridiculous. This season is shot, no reason to shackle the team's next 10 years to try and save it.

Expensive player that gags in the playoffs? Perfect.

:facepalm:

It's embarrassing how underrated and disrespected he is by some around the league.

The guy has came up great in big games more than he has flopped, once he gets a defense who doesn't leave him out to dry in the biggest moments. Then we will see how he does, He has stumbled big time at times, but this guy has been a pretty good playoff goalie if you are willing to be objective.

And he is just as good as Cory, Cory is just our guy moving forward, it's not a matter of who is better, just other circumstances.

I went to the canucks board and read their Loungo thread. They think they can get Kuzya, Foresberg and our 1st for lou.

insane

Ignore the fans who have no sense of other teams needs. The more realistic ones know he won't bring back the moon, but the return will be fair and reasonable.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
:facepalm:

It's embarrassing how underrated and disrespected he is by some around the league.

The guy has came up great in big games more than he has flopped, once he gets a defense who doesn't leave him out to dry in the biggest moments. Then we will see how he does, He has stumbled big time at times, but this guy has been a pretty good playoff goalie if you are willing to be objective.

And he is just as good as Cory, Cory is just our guy moving forward, it's not a matter of who is better, just other circumstances.

Is that why Luongo was yanked after 2 games and CS got the bulk of the starts in the playoffs last year?

Come on. Luongo is infamous for his playoff chokejobs, just like the Caps are. We've seen it, and the stats (particularly in the 2nd round) bear it out. His overall playoff stats don't tell the tale. He's laid some serious eggs when it mattered, for years, and you can't keep blaming the defense.

We can admit it about our team, you can admit it about your goalie.

Luongo is a great goalie, but he's like Arod. Some guys just aren't wired for the pressure situations. It doesn't mean they can't change, but how much money are you willing to bank on it? Apparently, after 2 losses in the first round last season (and a LOT of bad games down the stretch), the Canucks had enough.

If he was the guy to take them to the promised land, don't you think they'd be holding on to him, and playing him the entire first round instead of benching him?

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Luongo doesn't choke in the playoffs, his play becomes marginal.It's unfair to pin Vancouver struggle in the playoffs squarely on him. Vancouver defense though strong on paper, makes a lot of bonehead plays.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Luongo doesn't choke in the playoffs, his play becomes marginal.It's unfair to pin Vancouver struggle in the playoffs squarely on him. Vancouver defense though strong on paper, makes a lot of bonehead plays.

I don't know if anyone pinned all of Vancouver's struggles on him, just correctly pointed out that his play drops off in the playoffs. That is a fact. Again, look at his 2nd round stats over the years. Look at what happened in the first round last year when he was benched.

Why are we seeing so may Vancouver fans coming around pumping Luongo's tires? Trying to up his value?

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Luongo was not benched last year due to his inability to perform. First round last season, Vancouver did not have an answer to kings Forcheck. Went to Schneider because Vancouver had that option, they needed a change in momentum. I believe in Game two Canucks allowed two short handed breakaways.

Canucks fans are here because Washington seems to the only potential suitor for Luongo at the moment where the return may be of substance.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Luongo was not benched last year due to his inability to perform. First round last season, Vancouver did not have an answer to kings Forcheck. Went to Schneider because Vancouver had that option, they needed a change in momentum. I believe in Game two Canucks allowed two short handed breakaways.

Canucks fans are here because Washington seems to the only potential suitor for Luongo at the moment where the return may be of substance.

Canuck fans need to learn "Selling 101" and the dont's:
- Don't appear too anxious to sell as it suggests that you are desperate, have limited number of buyers and thus puts you at the disadvantage of selling well below your asking price

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I went to the canucks board and read their Loungo thread. They think they can get Kuzya, Foresberg and our 1st for lou.

insane

Usually I like them but they're just crazy over the situation and want way too much.

There are possibilites, buyouts (if they last the duration of the CBA, not sure if there is a time limit) Trade or Retirement, Lu won't play till he is 42, I would say he will play 4-5 years longer, maybe 6 at the absolute most.

If he retires, the cap hit stays to certain extent. How much, it depends on when he retires and/or how much front loaded money has been paid.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
2 strong performances from either of these goalies, and their stats would look MUCH better. I've liked both these kids in the past. I'm not ready to give up on either of them when the team is playing like crap in front of them. You can point to a couple soft goals, but also a lot that were going in regardless of who was in net.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
2 strong performances from either of these goalies, and their stats would look MUCH better. I've liked both these kids in the past. I'm not ready to give up on either of them when the team is playing like crap in front of them. You can point to a couple soft goals, but also a lot that were going in regardless of who was in net.

It's disappointing to me that McPhee actually came out and endorsed the goalie theory. TBH the goaltending wasn't that much better last year even with Vokoun. Not saying there isn't room for improvement but the goalies have only worked with a lead twice and in both cases it was penalties that contributed to the demise.

I guess I wish McPhee just would have pointed to the amount of penalties taken and the penalty killing as the main culprit because that pretty much encompasses the whole entire team including coaches and goaltenders.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The team Goals-For Average is only 2.26. There are only 7 teams with a goals AGAINST average better than that. So even if both our goalies were playing like top 5 goaltenders in the league, the team would still be struggling to win because WE DON'T SCORE ENOUGH, EITHER.

Goaltending is not the only issue.... 25th in the league in shooting percentage.

barbarian

Feb 2, 2013
The team Goals-For Average is only 2.26. There are only 7 teams with a goals AGAINST average better than that. So even if both our goalies were playing like top 5 goaltenders in the league, the team would still be struggling to win because WE DON'T SCORE ENOUGH, EITHER.

Goaltending is not the only issue.... 25th in the league in shooting percentage.

You can win playing good defense and having reliable goaltending.

The Kings did exactly that last year during the regular season. And it's not like we scored much against Boston in the playoffs either.

Is it sustainable? Not much. Doable? Yes.

MrWangz

Jan 21, 2012

insane

And you think luongo is worth less than a conditional 2nd round.
It's funny how each team's fanbase is biased eh?

Either way, we don't need to trade luongo this season. We're not desperately shopping him around like you suggested. There is nothing wrong with having two elite goalies.

Hey at least we're gonna make the playoffs

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
And you think luongo is worth less than a conditional 2nd round.

Either way, we don't need to trade luongo this season. We're not desperately shopping him around like you suggested. There is nothing wrong with having two elite goalies.

have fun with paying for an elite goalie when hes in his 40s and a slug and finding a way to pay both goalies

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You can win playing good defense and having reliable goaltending.

The Kings did exactly that last year during the regular season. And it's not like we scored much against Boston in the playoffs either.

Is it sustainable? Not much. Doable? Yes.

So it would be a struggle, right? Sounds like you're agreeing with me. ;)

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Ignoring saving the careers of our "young guns", here's our most pressing needs:

1) Top line winger
2) #2 Center or extend Ribeiro
3) Top pairing stay at home dman to play with Green
4) Top 6 Left wing
5) #1 Goalie

A goalie won't save our season or set us up to turn things around quickly. We're screwed several times over.

barbarian

Feb 2, 2013
and you think luongo is worth less than a conditional 2nd round.

Hey man, don't listen to these idiots. Caps fans are clueless.

How about this:

Luongo + conditional 7th round pick 2013

for

Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Forsberg, Wilson, Orlov and Carlson
1st round pick 2013
a few hookers from DC area
free ice cream

Caps get the best contract on the NHL and a true #1 goalie. Vancouver gets the **** out of here.

Fair value.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Canuck fans need to learn "Selling 101" and the dont's:
- Don't appear too anxious to sell as it suggests that you are desperate, have limited number of buyers and thus puts you at the disadvantage of selling well below your asking price

Sorry, i forgot to put on my pretend gm hat before i came here. Vancouver is not really desperate at the moment, as the team continues to win. They are not playing that great, but getting really good results with two of their top 6 missing. Helps when you are in a weak division.

Come summer teams maybe be able to get Luongo at bargain basement prices ,considering the cap for next season is 64.3 million.

Many fans are against taking Luongo because his long contract, or as someone before me eloquently stated "have fun with paying for an elite goalie when hes in his 40s and a slug and finding a way to pay both goalies"

When he is in his 40s,the cap may as well be 90 million. Which is possible in 2021-22 if the NHL Revenue grow 5% annually. If that occurs his contract actually becomes great especially for those teams that have an internal cap budget.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
FOR SALE! -- Most awesomest goalie EVAR! Absolutely NOTHING wrong with him! Near-mint condition! Not at all overpriced and will not break down (all sales final, sold as-is). Will totally pay for himself in 10 years. Would still use him but got another for Christmas and wife says he's got to go. My loss is your gain!!

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Is that why Luongo was yanked after 2 games and CS got the bulk of the starts in the playoffs last year?

Come on. Luongo is infamous for his playoff chokejobs, just like the Caps are. We've seen it, and the stats (particularly in the 2nd round) bear it out. His overall playoff stats don't tell the tale. He's laid some serious eggs when it mattered, for years, and you can't keep blaming the defense.

We can admit it about our team, you can admit it about your goalie.

Luongo is a great goalie, but he's like Arod. Some guys just aren't wired for the pressure situations. It doesn't mean they can't change, but how much money are you willing to bank on it? Apparently, after 2 losses in the first round last season (and a LOT of bad games down the stretch), the Canucks had enough.

If he was the guy to take them to the promised land, don't you think they'd be holding on to him, and playing him the entire first round instead of benching him?

The change last year wasn't made because of his play, Luongo was our best player in the 2 games he played, we needed to make a switch to shake things up. That was expected and the coach said that. It wasn't Lu's play, he was great. Our team was exploited by LA and IMO it came down to coaching and AV was exposed, but that's another story.

I disagree, Luongo has come up in alot of pressure situations, he was our best player in our playoff run, was the Olympic gold medal, game 7 vs Chicago, Game 7 vs Dallas, was our best player in the finals (And that's saying something judging by how inconsistent he was)

He may have laid some eggs, but he has come up huge in big games many more times than he has laid eggs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad