Series Talk: WCSF: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (P1) Vegas Golden Knights

SJ vs. VGK

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I don't think Thornton is coming back so silly to worry about it - but really unsure about throwing him on the top line. Pavs is holding his own and Donkey/Kane are contributing. The 3rd line needs major help, would try something like Teirney - Jumbo - Timo. Let Jumbo feast on the bottom 6 of LV

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
finally a full 60 minutes of Sharks playing hockey. Minus the penalties of course, but hmm noticed how the refs put the whistle in their pockets there when there were obvious slashes and cross checks from vegas on the sharks?!... yeah i sure did!

Here's hoping we can steal Game 5 on Friday!

Reactions: Phu and Gecklund

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Sharks have been the better team the last 3 games. Need to tighten down a little with giving up PP opportunities, Vegas has only really had bite from the PP. Feel better knowing Jumbo isn't coming back and we can stop this haha

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think Thornton is coming back so silly to worry about it - but really unsure about throwing him on the top line. Pavs is holding his own and Donkey/Kane are contributing. The 3rd line needs major help, would try something like Teirney - Jumbo - Timo. Let Jumbo feast on the bottom 6 of LV

Honestly, I think the 3rd line just needs to swap Labanc with Sorensen if they want to get it going or just let the 4th line be the 3rd line and not worry too much about it.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Honestly, I think the 3rd line just needs to swap Labanc with Sorensen if they want to get it going or just let the 4th line be the 3rd line and not worry too much about it.

Sorensen to the 3rd, Hansen in for Lebanc on the 4th

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorensen to the 3rd, Hansen in for Lebanc on the 4th

You can't take Labanc out as he is helping the top PP unit create opportunities. I don't mind relegating him to the 4th line but his PP work is more important than what Hansen would bring to the table.

Reactions: LA Shark

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
You can't take Labanc out as he is helping the top PP unit create opportunities. I don't mind relegating him to the 4th line but his PP work is more important than what Hansen would bring to the table.

Lebanc is the only player thats be invisible besides that OT assist

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His PP work has been killing the PP because he takes too long to make decisions and doesn’t help in entries.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lebanc is the only player thats be invisible besides that OT assist

Certainly at even strength he has been but on the power play, he's been a pretty good cog for them.

His PP work has been killing the PP because he takes too long to make decisions and doesn’t help in entries.

That had been true for a while but he's been turning that around the last three games. He's worth keeping in the lineup over Hansen or Karlsson still.

Reactions: LA Shark

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Certainly at even strength he has been but on the power play, he's been a pretty good cog for them.

That had been true for a while but he's been turning that around the last three games. He's worth keeping in the lineup over Hansen or Karlsson still.

There's a case to be made that he has that time to run out of because he handles the puck deftly on the PP. You gotta have good hands to pass it around the way they want to.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
If Thornton comes back I'd scratch Labanc for him as he could immediately step into his position and role on the top PP. However I'm not sure how suited the other guys are for that spot/role as it is one of the tougher roles on the PP imo. Maybe Donskoi or Tierney, but I didnt like Kane on the top unit at all. He fits much better on the 2nd unit.

While Labanc hasn't been good 5v5 this series, the past 3 games he hasn't really been bad either. As long as hes not taking bad penalties or getting exposed defensively, his PP work will keep him in the lineup till Thornton comes back.

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Sharks fan since the Cow Palace, long time reader, live in Columbus these days, still follow the Sharks closely, hardly ever post. Just want to make a comment about the Sharks' lines. I really, really like how they are constructed right now. Each of the top three lines has the same combination of deadly ingredients: a big-body, physical player on the left wing who dominates board play and also has great hands (Kane/Hertl/Meier), a cerebral center (Pavelski/Couture/Tierney), and blinding speed on the other wing (Donskoi/Boedker/LaBanc). The third line deviates from the formula because LaBanc doesn't have the same kind of speed that Donskoi or Boedker do. More on that below, but it's worth noting that the 4th line is doing great work with Fehr as the lynchpin, using the speed of Karlsson and Sorenson to get in on the forecheck quickly and create turnovers.

In sum, I love the way this team is constructed, and especially the way the pieces we have are deployed, even without Thornton in the lineup. I think the front office and coaching staff deserve a lot of credit.

I know it's a big mystery whether Thornton comes back this spring. I hope so, because you could make that third line much more deadly by applying the same principle outlined above. Thornton is the ultimate cerebral center, and Meier is the perfect power forward for that line. But what about the blinding speed on the wing? Move Tierney to the wing? I'm not feeling that. Tierney is a wonderful two-way cerebral center. Here's my thought:

Kane/Pavelski/Donskoi
Hertl/Couture/Boedker
Meier/Thornton/PlayoffSorensen(tm)
Karlsson/Tierney/Fehr

To me that third line screams danger for opposing teams. It's a matchup nightmare for opposing coaches. The Thornton line will murder you if you don't put your best defenders out against it - in which case the other lines will murder you anyway.

And Fehr is historically a RW so he would slide over quite naturally there. He becomes the big body on that line, with Karlsson providing the speed. And there you go - four incredibly well-balanced lines that can all score.

I think the Sharks are better than Vegas even without Thornton. I hope they can keep the pedal down and win the next two. But I would LOVE to see a lineup like this if we get to the next round, or (hockey gods be praised) the final again.

Go Sharks!

Reactions: Papa Joe19

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Lebanc is definitely underwhelming 5 on 5, but he's still helpful on the PP. During the RS, I thought the PP looked the most dangerous with Thornton and Lebanc. Having another quarterback kinda forced Thornton to shoot more.

I think Tierney has been a lot worse. I'd consider scratching him or Karlsson. Hard to argue breaking up that great 4th line, but Sorenson - Tierney - Fehr would probably do well too, with Thornton starting as the 3C.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
If Thornton comes back I'd scratch Labanc for him as he could immediately step into his position and role on the top PP. However I'm not sure how suited the other guys are for that spot/role as it is one of the tougher roles on the PP imo. Maybe Donskoi or Tierney, but I didnt like Kane on the top unit at all. He fits much better on the 2nd unit.

While Labanc hasn't been good 5v5 this series, the past 3 games he hasn't really been bad either. As long as hes not taking bad penalties or getting exposed defensively, his PP work will keep him in the lineup till Thornton comes back.

IMO Thornton likely moves into Couture's spot and Couture moves into Lebanc's.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If Thornton comes back, I'd definitely scratch Labanc at that moment. I'd also scratch Karlsson for Hansen to put on Thornton's wing on that 3rd line with Meier.

Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Boedker
Meier-Thornton-Hansen
Sorensen-Fehr-Tierney

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
IMO Thornton likely moves into Couture's spot and Couture moves into Lebanc's.

They're not breaking up their best line for Thornton. Couture-Hertl-Boedker should be considered untouchable from a coach's perspective right now. They're doing everything for them right now.

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If Thornton comes back, I'd definitely scratch Labanc at that moment. I'd also scratch Karlsson for Hansen to put on Thornton's wing on that 3rd line with Meier.

Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi
Couture-Hertl-Boedker
Meier-Thornton-Hansen
Sorensen-Fehr-Tierney

Sorensen has 4 goals in 8 playoff games so far; I understand people feel Hansen hasn't gotten a fair shake around here, but you are that certain that Hansen would be better on Thornton's wing than Sorensen at the moment?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sorensen has 4 goals in 8 playoff games so far; I understand people feel Hansen hasn't gotten a fair shake around here, but you are that certain that Hansen would be better on Thornton's wing than Sorensen at the moment?

Sorensen and Fehr are clicking. Thornton tends to succeed most with righty shooters. Hansen is their best option for that until he's ready to get back up with Pavelski. Hansen has shown many times before that he can get into those scoring spots to get feeds from Thornton. Just hasn't buried them.

Reactions: Friday

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Sorensen and Fehr are clicking. Thornton tends to succeed most with righty shooters. Hansen is their best option for that until he's ready to get back up with Pavelski. Hansen has shown many times before that he can get into those scoring spots to get feeds from Thornton. Just hasn't buried them.

Yeah, but knowing DeBoer, Thornton is going right back to the top line when he comes back in. Donskoi is looking really banged up too, so he would go to the 3rd line. Also, I sadly don't think Karlsson is going anywhere. I would expect this: 39-48-89, 9-19-8, 28-50-27, 20-16-68.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, but knowing DeBoer, Thornton is going right back to the top line when he comes back in. Donskoi is looking really banged up too, so he would go to the 3rd line. Also, I sadly don't think Karlsson is going anywhere. I would expect this: 39-48-89, 9-19-8, 28-50-27, 20-16-68.

Yeah, that's probably what I would think DeBoer would do. lol

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Nice points. I was forgetting that Sorensen plays the left side and shoots left.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Seeing Ryan on the blueline gives me hope.

Joe on a line with Fehr and Sorenson would be interesting. How do you match lines to that? That line is already dominating, and Karlsson is the one meh guy in the lineup right now.

I like the idea of Thornton and Kane, but I don't like the idea of Thornton, Pavs, and Kane. Too slow. I also don't like the idea of Pavs on the 4th line, but do like the idea of Thornton there. I have a feeling I'm violating some form of transitivity here.

Probably not the time to mess with things as the team has been firing on all cylinders the past 2 games, but they need 4 deep fast lines if they want any chance at beating any of the remaining 6 teams.

I still don't see how the Sharks beat any of the other 6 teams still in it, but these are the lowest expectations I have had of a Sharks team in a while. It's kind of nice.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly those are gpod lines. No need to overthink it. Pavs is playing well but hes not dictating tempo in the ozone. So jumbo is still better.

If I thought Jumbo could handle the speed and the minutes off the bat, I would but I don't at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad