Series Talk: WCSF: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (P1) Vegas Golden Knights

SJ vs. VGK

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I've done nothing but sit in silence after we lost. This feeling never goes away. Welcome to the Sharks fandom, where pain is a mainstay.

Reactions: Phu

Broiler19

Oct 27, 2008
Winnipeg, MB
Shitty end to season, excited to see what the team looks like next season, if we saw jumbo’s last game in teal I’ll never forget the angry joe screaming at Bryan little firing up the crowd and then beast mode one-t to tierney for a ppg.

Fav player and that shift summed up what he does best and why he’s my fav.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
****ty end to season, excited to see what the team looks like next season, if we saw jumbo’s last game in teal I’ll never forget the angry joe screaming at Bryan little firing up the crowd and then beast mode one-t to tierney for a ppg.

Fav player and that shift summed up what he does best and why he’s my fav.
Ugh

I just now remembered. In the post game, Jeremy Roenick made a special shoutout to Thornton, as if he had an inkling that this might be the end of his career. Saying stuff like ''What a terrible way to go out being injured, if he does decide to hang them up, what a great career'' etc. I never got the feeling that he was not gonna play next year.

Does he possibly know something that we don't?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Ugh

I just now remembered. In the post game, Jeremy Roenick made a special shoutout to Thornton, as if he had an inkling that this might be the end of his career. Saying stuff like ''What a terrible way to go out being injured, if he does decide to hang them up, what a great career'' etc. I never got the feeling that he was not gonna play next year.

Does he possibly know something that we don't?

Jeremy Roenick is a f***ing idiot who knows nothing, he was at the games drunk with Lil Jon lol

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
zyUgnfX.jpg

I'm trying to cope, man.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
no bullshit but i think thornton would have done great in this series. we had the horses to get established in the zone and we were really lacking that elite playmaking ability to get pucks to players with time, or in great positions. if pavelski and his line got his chances, thornton absolutely would have.

thornton also probably has the best stretch pass on the team, and we SUCKED at stretch passing this series. he's pretty good at counterattacking and stripping pucks too.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Tough loss, i still think the sharks are the better team but vegas i guess has that magic this year.

Still a pretty good season for you guys, did a lot better than i thought they would and i kinda agree with joe thornton not playing hurting a bit more theb people maybe gave credit. 2 years in a row where you guys had significant injuries down the middle.

On the plus side at least you didnt get swept in 1st round like the rest of california ;(

See you guys next year! any young players you guys are excited to see possibly make the roster next year? Dont know a whole lot about shark prospect pools outside the guy that played with troy terry at denver.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Tough loss, i still think the sharks are the better team but vegas i guess has that magic this year.

Still a pretty good season for you guys, did a lot better than i thought they would and i kinda agree with joe thornton not playing hurting a bit more theb people maybe gave credit. 2 years in a row where you guys had significant injuries down the middle.

On the plus side at least you didnt get swept in 1st round like the rest of california ;(

See you guys next year! any young players you guys are excited to see possibly make the roster next year? Dont know a whole lot about shark prospect pools outside the guy that played with troy terry at denver.

Rudolfs Balcers is a very unlikely candidate to make the NHL and he is probably the only one of the young players that I could see making it.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not sure if its been mentioned any where but fleury admits to not seeing many of the shots he stopped in the 1st period of game 6.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just a bit of a post mortem thought here:

If any 2 of Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns, or Jones played at their 2016 level, I think we win this series fairly easily.

Our top players completely let us down for the second year in a row. Pavelski has let us down in every single series since he wrecked the Blues. Jones had his first real bad series so I’ll cut him some slack but Burns has been terrible since 3/4 into the 2016/2017 season. Vlasic completely fell off a cliff.

The issue here is that once Pavelski’s contract is renewed, all 4 of these guys are probably going to be paid based on their 2016 performance. In no world does 2018 Burns deserve $8M/7Y, or 2018 Vlasic deserve $7M/8y, or 2018 Jones deserve $5.75M/7Y. And those contracts are what they have left after this season!

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just a bit of a post mortem thought here:

If any 2 of Pavelski, Vlasic, Burns, or Jones played at their 2016 level, I think we win this series fairly easily.

Our top players completely let us down for the second year in a row. Pavelski has let us down in every single series since he wrecked the Blues. Jones had his first real bad series so I’ll cut him some slack but Burns has been terrible since 3/4 into the 2016/2017 season. Vlasic completely fell off a cliff.

The issue here is that once Pavelski’s contract is renewed, all 4 of these guys are probably going to be paid based on their 2016 performance. In no world does 2018 Burns deserve $8M/7Y, or 2018 Vlasic deserve $7M/8y, or 2018 Jones deserve $5.75M/7Y. And those contracts are what they have left after this season!

I disagree with 2018 Jones not earning that contract given his age and performance. He's fine. Everyone else is agreeable. Burns produces roughly enough for the salary but is too old for the term.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I think term is the problem with those contracts, not really the AAV. Resigning Pavs based on past performance would be the real back breaker. Hopefully we get 1 more good year out of him then let him walk, because we know he isnt getting traded.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think term is the problem with those contracts, not really the AAV. Resigning Pavs based on past performance would be the real back breaker. Hopefully we get 1 more good year out of him then let him walk, because we know he isnt getting traded.

Term is definitely a problem for Burns and Vlasic. Jones, not so much. He'll be 34 when that contract ends and the cap hit is in line with starting goalies. That's about the time to let him walk.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I disagree with 2018 Jones not earning that contract given his age and performance. He's fine. Everyone else is agreeable. Burns produces roughly enough for the salary but is too old for the term.

Jones might be a bit of an overreaction and his contract may not be a serious issue with the cap rising but it’s still pretty disappointing to look back on this series and say that if we swap goalies, the Sharks are probably playing Winnipeg right now.

Burns’ production is fine for his cap hit but his defensive play is downright terrible.

Reactions: Friday

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Jones might be a bit of an overreaction and his contract may not be a serious issue with the cap rising but it’s still pretty disappointing to look back on this series and say that if we swap goalies, the Sharks are probably playing Winnipeg right now.

Burns’ production is fine for his cap hit but his defensive play is downright terrible.

If Fleury saw the kind of opportunities that Vegas was getting, I'd doubt he'd stop them either. Jones probably does better behind Vegas too. It doesn't really matter though. Jones has earned enough rope to give him a pass if you feel he disappointed you in the series. As for Burns, it's pretty normal for guys producing that much to give up a lot on the other end. That's not just unique to him.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If Fleury saw the kind of opportunities that Vegas was getting, I'd doubt he'd stop them either. Jones probably does better behind Vegas too. It doesn't really matter though. Jones has earned enough rope to give him a pass if you feel he disappointed you in the series. As for Burns, it's pretty normal for guys producing that much to give up a lot on the other end. That's not just unique to him.

Fleury was stopping breakaways a lot more than Jones was. Jones has earned enough rope, I won’t disagree with that, but I do believe that if you swapped the goalies, San Jose advances. Maybe if you cloned either one, they wouldn’t, but if you swapped them? I think so. Jones did not instill much confidence in me with how he played and that stuff trickles down to the team. Fleury, on the other hand; I had no confidence that we would score against him.

Burns had a -16 when the next worst Shark was -9 and his most common linemate was a +13. Then he was -4 in the playoffs with only one other Shark worse than him. He was terrible defensively this year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fleury was stopping breakaways a lot more than Jones was. Jones has earned enough rope, I won’t disagree with that, but I do believe that if you swapped the goalies, San Jose advances. Maybe if you cloned either one, they wouldn’t, but if you swapped them? I think so. Jones did not instill much confidence in me with how he played and that stuff trickles down to the team. Fleury, on the other hand; I had no confidence that we would score against him.

Burns had a -16 when the next worst Shark was -9 and his most common linemate was a +13. Then he was -4 in the playoffs with only one other Shark worse than him. He was terrible defensively this year.

Yeah, I don't know about the whole breakaway stuff but it doesn't really matter. When it comes to the confidence thing, that's not an excuse for the skaters. Plenty of teams overcome questionable goaltending and if they let goalie confidence influence them like that then they don't belong here. When it comes to Burns, that's pretty common for players like him and especially after this season given his partners were either a washed up injured guy or a decent rookie that got benched as soon as he even showed the slightest hint of slumping and in between them was Brenden Dillon who never makes anyone better. lol Plus he's always on for empty netters against us. A lot of that is poor luck and poor partners this season. If they give him a better partner that is consistent like what Martin once was before his injury, he'll be fine.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California

I agree that Burns was bad defensively this past season, however some context for when he was struggling the most during the regular season is when DeBoer paired him with Dillon. I have no clue why DeBoer did that when that pair was nothing but disastrous when they were paired previously. I know Ryan was injured during that time, but it took way too long to reestablish that pairing once Ryan got healthy. Then there is an injured Burns playing with a slow Martin during that Vegas series, and how many games did it take for DeBoer to bench Martin when the Sharks board knew beforehand that Martin would be a disaster against Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->