Series Talk: WCSF: (P3) San Jose Sharks vs. (P1) Vegas Golden Knights

SJ vs. VGK

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
I agree with all of this. What baffles me is that "the play" in OT had little to do with conditioning, imo. Karlsson didn't beat him (though he very well may have if given the opportunity), he just made a very dumb read that a 37-year-old NHL defensemen should never ever make. I really just want to know what the hell was he thinking taking that line?

Martin's read is why he takes the terrible line. It looks like he reads the play as a 1 on 2, in which case he is correct to press the puck carrier to force the dump.

To a lesser extent, a case could be made that his line is correct if it is a clear cut 2 on 2 AND Burns has also identified it. In that case, Martin & Burns effectively switch players and Martin has a good line on the puck carrier.

The issue is that neither of those reads was correct and thus the line he takes is terrible. Making it worse is that in both cases the puck carrier was really a threat and at worst it's a 1 on 1 situation for Burns.

Reactions: DeadGhost

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Gackle also said Jumbo is taking top line rushes.

Donkey, Ryan, AND Jumbo back?
Talk about a major upgrade

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
This is Polak/DeMelo all over again. He is going to play the known quantity - even if it costs the series. He doesn’t trust Ryan yet.
Except he totally has over 60+ games this season. Ryan was used in high pressure situations multiple times already this year, but his injury seemed to wipe out Deboer's memory for some reason.

But it turns out that a lot of that hype was over nothing. Once we got a closer look at DeMelo, we realized he wasn't really that good.

I am a little surprised that everyone is piling on DeBoer for playing Martin, but not Martin was playing so poorly. DeBoer should realize Martin is struggling and put in Ryan, but Martin has no excuse for this. He's supposed to be healthy, is only 37, and was a solid #4 defenseman last year. If his conditioning has deteriorated so much, he shares some of the blame.
As bad as Demelo has been, he's still miles ahead of Pollak.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
We need a GDT guys. Home team gets the GDT on the playoffs board. I need to copy it over. It's not urgent right now but one is needed today.

ZtjhDMv

ZtjhDMv

yRi7rLh

Attachments

• freejoakl.jpg
    freejoakl.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
God, Thornton better not be on the top line... he and Pavs can't be on the same line... that's just asking for odd man breaks.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Hobbled Thornton + Pavelski sounds like a slow line vs this team => will be happy he is back though, if he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad